BUG: Factbook launched from Topic Guide

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33777
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2016 2:22 AM

No, I have not forgotten the recent discussion re: records being merged for Factbook. However, in light of the discussion at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/122280/799301.aspx#799301 I must ask again.

1. When I launch the Factbook from the Topic section of the Topic Guide, I get <Event Creation>.

2. If I open Factbook and type Creation, <Event Creation> is the only unqualified Creation option shown.

3. If I type <Topic Creation> into Factbook, it does show as an option and can the opened.

4. If I type <PreachingTheme Creation>, the option is unavailable, although a search does work so I know the syntax is correct.

However, the Media, Events, Community Tags, and See Also sections are not the same between the two Factbook entries are not identical. The Domain entry "Creation by deicide" makes sense for the topic but not for the event ...

BUG? Is it a bug that the Topic Guide brings up the Event not the Topic? At the very least shouldn't I have a choice?

BUG? I've learned that it's not a bug that the Participants and Settings merge two accounts and include Christian interpretation in the <Event Creation>, I know that I am much more strict about what is actually in the text in the creation pericope vs. what is in the whole Biblical text. However, that is why I want the <topic creation> to be the Topic including Genesis, Psalms, Job and the <Event Creation> to be the Genesis narratives. Is it a bug or intentional that you are blurring the narrative event of Genesis 1+ with the various retellings?

BUG: If, in fact, it is intended that there be both a topic and an event with different scopes, then the dropdown menu when I enter Creation ought to show me both options.

A related issue is in inability to bring up a separate <PreachingTheme Creation> although here I understand your logic but disagree without additional merging. If I run a Sermon Starter Guide on Creation, the search built for Collections is:

("([lang en] [field heading] Creation)", "([lang en] [field heading] Agriculture)", "([lang en] [field heading] Animals)", "([lang en] [field heading] Environment)", "([lang en] [field heading] Science)")

If I run a Topic Guide on Creation, the search built for Collections is:

("([lang en] [field heading] Creation)", "([lang en] [field heading] Cosmology)", "([lang en] [field heading] Origin) ([lang en] [field heading] of) ([lang en] [field heading] life)")

I have trouble reconciling the difference in topic range between Topic and PreachingTheme with the idea that they are "the same thing for Factbook".

No, I'm not just grousing ... I just can't make sense of the current behavior. And, yes, I would LOVE it if there was a consistent ontology behind the various "similar/related" terms.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2016 2:33 AM

MJ. Thank you again for spotlighting issues such as those you explicate in your post above.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2016 11:27 AM

MJ. Smith:

BUG? Is it a bug that the Topic Guide brings up the Event not the Topic? At the very least shouldn't I have a choice?

BUG? I've learned that it's not a bug that the Participants and Settings merge two accounts and include Christian interpretation in the <Event Creation>, I know that I am much more strict about what is actually in the text in the creation pericope vs. what is in the whole Biblical text. However, that is why I want the <topic creation> to be the Topic including Genesis, Psalms, Job and the <Event Creation> to be the Genesis narratives. Is it a bug or intentional that you are blurring the narrative event of Genesis 1+ with the various retellings?

BUG: If, in fact, it is intended that there be both a topic and an event with different scopes, then the dropdown menu when I enter Creation ought to show me both options.

I will create cases for all these three issues. 

MJ. Smith:
A related issue is in inability to bring up a separate <PreachingTheme Creation>

If you put a space after Creation (<PreachingTheme Creation >) then you will get the option for Creation. I will create a case for this also. 

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
4. If I type <PreachingTheme Creation>

Data type reference search syntax is not valid input for the Factbook. Just type an English label.

Posts 33777
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2016 1:27 PM

It may not be valid but it is often the only way I can get the drop down menu to offer me the desired option - based on a significant amount of practice. The search routine both for community tags and for Factbook often will not show the desired result ... at times even exact matches as missing. Therefore I have had to "play" with it until I find something that works - although I have no idea why.

The results are different depending on which one is selected - the difference most clearly indicated by the initiation of the search at the bottom of the See Also section.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS