Search For God Rejoicing

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2016 8:26 AM

I'm trying to do a Bible Search for all the verses where God rejoices/celebrates. I started with this search string:

<Person God> <Sense to rejoice (feeling)>

But it's returning results where God is not the one doing the rejoicing. I can't remember how to narrow down the search to only those places where God is the subject/actor. Can anyone throw me a line?

Posts 28933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 8:43 AM

You probably want a clause search (Subject:God OR Agent:God) (Verb-sense:to rejoice (feeling)).  The Agent is to handle passive constructions. I'm indexing at the moment so I can't test it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:41 AM

MJ. Smith:
You probably want a clause search (Subject:God OR Agent:God) (Verb-sense:to rejoice (feeling)). 

Subject:God Verb-sense:to rejoice (feeling)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 28933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 10:32 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Subject:God Verb-sense:to rejoice (feeling)

What's the reasoning behind excluding the agent term?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25653
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:02 PM

In all the passages where God is Subject he is tagged as the Experiencer. No results for Agent

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:44 PM

thanks Dave - makes sense when I really think about it.

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 6:05 PM

Thank you all very much for your helpful responses. I had forgotten all about clause search!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS