Multiple windows

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2016 9:32 AM

What if we were able to open multiple Logos windows? I don't mean floating windows, I mean complete frames with all the features and options we have now in the "parent" window. This would be like having multiple browser windows open, where each would have the library and search icons, the Documents/Guides/Tools dropdowns, etc. Each could have its own layout open. Then when I'm in the middle of work in a particular layout but want to investigate something different utilizing different resources, I wouldn't have to close or rearrange the layout I'm working in. I would just pop open another instance, do whatever I want to do there, and not lose my place in the original window.

Posts 49
Jim Oesterwind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2016 4:02 PM

I cannot even imagine what that would do to the RAM in my computer :)

Jim Oesterwind

Heritage Baptist Church

Antioch, CA

www.heritageantioch.com

Posts 3672
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 5:52 AM

Great idea!

see this thread started a week or so ago

mm.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/122587.aspx

Zak Metz:

What if we were able to open multiple Logos windows? I don't mean floating windows, I mean complete frames with all the features and options we have now in the "parent" window. This would be like having multiple browser windows open, where each would have the library and search icons, the Documents/Guides/Tools dropdowns, etc. Each could have its own layout open. Then when I'm in the middle of work in a particular layout but want to investigate something different utilizing different resources, I wouldn't have to close or rearrange the layout I'm working in. I would just pop open another instance, do whatever I want to do there, and not lose my place in the original window.

mm.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2016 10:27 PM

Zak Metz:
What if we were able to open multiple Logos windows?

Logos 6 and Verbum 6 can be used at the same time with the same or different layouts (albeit needs adequate storage for library duplication).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2016 10:49 PM

I still wonder for what I could need this...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2016 10:57 AM

Sascha John:

I still wonder for what I could need this...

Running Logos 6 and Verbum 6 at the same time allows two Library and two Collection to be open, which is helpful when working on collection rules and resource rating/tagging.  Caveat: be careful of sync; unwise to be changing Library priorities in both applications at the same time as sync can have intriguing surprises.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2016 8:30 PM

thanks for clearing this to me Yes

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 9:22 AM

I keep encountering instances where I have a layout open for a particular class, but want to research or read something entirely different without saving and closing my layout, or open another layout at the same time. I understand some have concerns about CPU/memory usage, I'm not convinced it would double the requirements to open a second window. The example is a browser that can have multiple instances open. Regardless of speculation, I have CPU and memory to spare, and this is how I would like to use it.

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 8:06 PM

dit'nt you need two screens for this?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:18 PM

Zak Metz:
I keep encountering instances where I have a layout open for a particular class, but want to research or read something entirely different without saving and closing my layout, or open another layout at the same time.

For work flow, having Logos 6 and Verbum 6 open at the same time (with different layouts) can be helpful:

Personally have quad core i7-3610QM with 16 GB Ram plus large enough SSD for library and index duplication.  Logos 6 receives Beta updates while Verbum 6 is stable.  If wanted a third window on one computer, could install Noet Desktop App (along with third copy of library and indexes).  Already have another computer running OS X with Logos 6 and Verbum 6 so can have four windows open at the same time.  Also have learned to use only one window for changing Library priorities since syncing priority changes between two or more windows has surprising results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 11:24 PM

So you need Verbum and Logos

dit Verbum use the Logos Libary to?

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 12:02 AM

AFAIK you don't need a Verbum base package for Verbum!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 12:22 AM

Hey Dave what the First Word means?

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 12:30 AM

As Far As I Know  - internet acronym

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 12:37 AM

Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:09 AM

Sascha John:
dit Verbum use the Logos Libary to?

Logos wiki has pages with quick installation steps (can copy Logos library to Verbum or Noet):

Windows => https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

OS X => https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS