Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament for $9.99

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 12:22 PM

Rick:

I haven't seen this posted anywhere. If it has been, I'm sorry for the repeat.

I just noticed that several of the Zondervan Exegetical Commentaries are on sale for $9.99 per volume. I'm not sure for how long though.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=Zondervan+Exegetical+Commentary+on+the+New+Testament 

Thanks Rick, at 10 per book this is fantastic. 

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 12:29 PM

I can say from one who now owns all the available volumes (after getting the last 3 for 10 bucks each last night, and the other series listed below), I don't think you will ever find such in depth commentaries as cheap. I'd agree that Word, New International,  Baker, or Pillar Commentaries, are at least as good if not better (differing volume to volume), but at 10 dollars each, this is a steal! Especially if you don't have alot of exegetical commentaries already

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 60
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 12:41 PM

Has anyone seen how long this sale lasts?

Posts 94
Rokas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 12:58 PM

Alan:

On Accordance website it states "till 27th Feb", so I think here the same

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 12:58 PM

Thanks for highlighting this, Rick. And thank you Zondervan and Faithlife. 

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:44 PM

Thanks, Rick for bringing this sale to our attention. Checking this forum daily has resulted in some great buys over the years.

To DAL, in my opinion, exegetical commentaries are superior. There are lots of commentaries in existence; what matters in the end is what does the text say? The Bible only has meaning in context and within rules of grammar. Exegetical commentaries can help Christians that want to dig in and really understand what the text says. A correct application must come from a correct understanding first to be valid.

In Christ!

Posts 523
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:04 PM

Yes

Into Grace:

Thanks, Rick for bringing this sale to our attention. Checking this forum daily has resulted in some great buys over the years.

To DAL, in my opinion, exegetical commentaries are superior. There are lots of commentaries in existence; what matters in the end is what does the text say? The Bible only has meaning in context and within rules of grammar. Exegetical commentaries can help Christians that want to dig in and really understand what the text says. A correct application must come from a correct understanding first to be valid.

In Christ!

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:20 PM

How do the Application of Theology sections in these books compare to the corresponding sections in NIVAC?

Edit: I am asking from the perspective of someone who owns neither.

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:23 PM

Into Grace:

In Christ!

But if you already have better exegetical commentaries than the ZEC, then why buy an inferior set. In the link I provided, some, even Mark Barnes said that BECNT and others are better than the ZEC. While I agree that exegetical are superior, I also believe you don't need to own them all to understand the text, especially if you already own sets that are superior and better than the ZEC as stated in the other thread. In fact, if you do your own sound exegesis, you don't need to pay to have exegetical commentaries, since you've already done your homework with your own exegesis. Sales are awesome, but sound exegesis tells us we must be better stewards of the money the Lord gives us and not be quick to spend our money just because there's a great sale going on. That's a wise application right there ;) but hey, if some have money to spare, then they can go for it even if they don't end up using what they buy. But anyway, amen to the application comment that you made! Well said!

DAL

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:29 PM

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll buy one as  a souvenir just to read it during my devotional time. Which volume would you guys recommend if you could have one for good reads?

DAL

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 5:06 PM

I am like you DAL.  I have enough resources, but for the sale I had to pick up Schnabel's take on Acts (I already have Matthew).   Your interests and mileage may vary, but if I were only getting one...I would go for Acts.

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 5:16 PM

Paul:

I am like you DAL.  I have enough resources, but for the sale I had to pick up Schnabel's take on Acts (I already have Matthew).   Your interests and mileage may vary, but if I were only getting one...I would go for Acts.

Actually, I went for Acts since it has the extra notes not available in the print edition. I kind of like the theological application section. It may rival the NIVAC or better, but too soon to say :)

DAL

Posts 540
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 6:06 PM

Into Grace:
Checking this forum daily has resulted in some great buys over the years.

That is very true - many thanks to all who share what bargains they discover Big Smile

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 64
JFritschJr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 6:19 PM

Rokas:

Alan:

On Accordance website it states "till 27th Feb", so I think here the same

Should we be reliant on a competitors website for details of this sale?

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 6:53 PM

Into Grace:
exegetical commentaries are superior.

Okay, you all are talking code ... how can a commentary not be exegetical? Aren't all commentaries "a critical explanation or interpretation of a text" i.e. exegetical?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 6:56 PM

I am thrilled to see this sale! I've been eyeing the Acts, Galatians, and Colossians/Philemon volumes for some time. Schnabel's Early Christian Mission work blew me away. After purchasing his Acts commentary and diving into it, I can say that it will be my go-to Acts commentary, superseding Bock and Polhill (and that is saying a lot). I feel like Pao gives Philemon the respect it deserves. And anything from Schreiner is worth reading.

The ZECNT series distinguishing feature from all other commentaries is its semantic interpretation section, similar to the propositional outlines in Logos. The other selling point to me (besides the top notch authors) is the format. ZECNT does in a unique format what WBC tried to do IMHO. 

Again, I am very pleased with this sale. These volumes will be a great benefit to me.

Posts 523
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 7:25 PM

I wish all these were on sale :

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 7:31 PM

No official announcement from Logos yet?

Posts 383
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:01 PM

Were these recent Prepubs? Seems Faithlife policy is to not offer sales on 'recent' (whatever that length of time is) prepubs to 'honor' the prepub low price statements. I have never really agreed with that. Prepubs are the best price available, unless the publisher makes a radical deal. Why should anyone be upset if that happens (unfortunately some user do). Understand, but don't agree.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2016 1:28 AM

Danny Parker:

Were these recent Prepubs? Seems Faithlife policy is to not offer sales on 'recent' (whatever that length of time is) prepubs to 'honor' the prepub low price statements. I have never really agreed with that. Prepubs are the best price available, unless the publisher makes a radical deal. Why should anyone be upset if that happens (unfortunately some user do). Understand, but don't agree.

It is not a question of being upset, rather I have stopped buying most prepubs as in the past you could usually pick them up cheaper later when they were included in sets or bundles. After the event Logos have at least recognised this behaviour and are now seeking to protect their margins by encouriging people to buy prepubs.

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS