Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament for $9.99

Page 4 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 318
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:26 AM

I like the ZECNT commentaries for one reason. It is the only commentary I know that gives the preacher any kind of help with the "big idea" of the sermon that Haddon Robinson made popular. It is a way to check your exegetical big idea and exegetical outline after you have done your own work.. It is not the way you will word the "big idea" or the outline in the sermon, but it will get you on the way from an exegetical outline to a sermon outline.It is not going to fill in many details, but it is also helpful to see the forest instead of just each individual tree in a text. Other commentaries fill in the details nicely.  If you are a "big idea" type of preacher, I think this commentary may give you help in the initial step  of the sermon- finding the big idea- that is not available in other commentaries.

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:32 AM

I see  8 that are on sale, am I missing any?

Posts 318
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:57 AM

There are only 8 commentaries that are on sale for $9.99

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:07 PM

I'm preaching through the parables and this past week we were in Luke 10:30-37 with the parable of the Good Samaritan. I bought Garland's Luke volume just to see how I would enjoy it. And I liked it!

As far as detail goes, it fell somewhere between Bock's BECNT volume and Hendricksen's BNTC volume. Garland considered the text carefully, asked and answered good questions, and had some legitimately excellent points of application. He even included a joke I excerpted for my sermon!

If I had to pick only one commentary on Luke it would still be Bock. But Garland's commentary is an excellent supplement. They are both theologically conservative but it doesn't feel like Garland is simply rehashing Bock - it's a fresh reading of the text. And I found I enjoyed the format. (Though I am not bothered by the oft-maligned WBC formatting, so your mileage may vary.)

If you're looking for an intermediate commentary on Luke - to supplement a technical commentary, because you don't have Greek, or you don't have time for a truly extensive treatment of the text - $9.99 represents a fantastic deal for this particular volume.

Based on the strength of this volume I also purchased Osborne on Matthew and Schnabel on Acts. (I already own Schreiner on Galatians.)

Posts 531
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:38 PM

It's a rarely seen deal . 

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2016 11:46 AM

I wonder why they didnt just lower the price on the whole set?  What is so extra special about this one that they did not lower the price I wonder:

https://www.logos.com/product/54059/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-mark 

I went ahead and got those that have been reduced...thanks for the reminder and original tip.

Page 4 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS