Pre-Pub Changes

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 12:56 PM

Average Joe:

A "last chance" effort would have been nice. But I'm guessing it probably would not have made much of a difference, considering the items removed had all been up for a long time and were still a long way off from meeting the threshold. I'd be curious to see if there would have been any significant movement on any of those resources, though. An expiration date can be a powerful motivator. Big Smile

Now that I look, I can already see a number of pre-pubs that I hadn't pre-ordered but probably would have had I known they were on the chopping block. Ah well.

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 2:08 PM

While I understand the action from a business perspective, my gut reaction is disappointment that there is no longer a visible commitment to the eventual publication of items that are necessary but not popular. This may make moving into the underserved markets more difficult. However, I will also admit that Faithlife is the only publishing company with which I am familiar that uses a popularity context to determine publications. I may have philosophical qualms about this approach but it appears to have been working well for the company.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 2:30 PM

MJ. Smith:
my gut reaction is disappointment that there is no longer a visible commitment to the eventual publication of items that are necessary but not popular. This may make moving into the underserved markets more difficult.

You are making an assumption that underserved markets are still important to the new, meaner, leaner Faithlife.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 2:57 PM

Ronald Quick:
If no work is done on a resource until it goes into production, I don't understand how a prepub that has not gone into production has any impact on Logos' ability to "produce and ship products faster."

I'm disappointed that several of my pre-pubs have been cancelled — Calvin's Sermons, for example, but I'm not surprised. Some of them had been languishing for years without much traction.

I hope the announcement also means that Logos will be a bit more discerning before adding books to the pre-pub pile. Work is done on pre-pubs before production: marketing copy is written, contracts are likely drawn up, and the books have to be costed. For some, more complex books, I imagine the costing process could take some time and energy, as at least an outline of the book design needs to be created.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 2:59 PM

MJ. Smith:
However, I will also admit that Faithlife is the only publishing company with which I am familiar that uses a popularity context to determine publications.

https://unbound.co.uk/ takes that to an even deeper level. It's Kickstarter for books.

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:05 PM

Would any of these titles be candidates for Vyrso?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:10 PM

alabama24:

I can’t speak for our Vyrso team, but I can forward the pertinent information to them for consideration.

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:31 PM

Matthew Miller:

alabama24:

I can’t speak for our Vyrso team, but I can forward the pertinent information to them for consideration.

Thanks Matthew! I know that there have been (and likely will continue to be) volumes held out of Vyrso because they are candidates for Logos editions. In the event that some of these are determined not to be viable for Logos, perhaps some of them would be viable in Vyrso. 

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:39 PM

alabama24:

Matthew Miller:

alabama24:

Thanks Matthew!

I'd like to add my thanks for this as well. Although Vyrso is not a good as Logos it is better than nothing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:44 PM

I, perhaps mistakenly, relied on the pre-pub list to be the list of books in FL that I wanted.  I did not copy + paste it elsewhere.

Now, books have been culled.

I surely do hope that the email to me on this issue lists BY TITLE which books were affected.

Posts 790
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 4:51 PM

alabama24:

That's a really good thought.

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:22 PM

alabama24:
by having fewer prepubs, users will be more concentrated on a few items, causing them to go into production more quickly

If this is FL's logic, I don't see how it makes any sense.

FE: If there are 10 resources on pre-pub, and three are of interest to me, and I place bids on those three; then FL pulls one of them, I'm not going to go bid on one of the resources with which I have no interest.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:39 PM

Doc B:

alabama24:
by having fewer prepubs, users will be more concentrated on a few items, causing them to go into production more quickly

If this is FL's logic, I don't see how it makes any sense.

FE: If there are 10 resources on pre-pub, and three are of interest to me, and I place bids on those three; then FL pulls one of them, I'm not going to go bid on one of the resources with which I have no interest.

Exactly my thoughts! I only place pre-orders for resources I want or need. If only 10 resources are available and non pick my interest, guess what? Right! I'm not preordering any :)

DAL

Posts 2332
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:40 PM

I'm the same way.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:48 PM

I think Logos / FL is clearly being wise and making needed changes in how they do business.  The truth is that this company has always made the changes that it needed to make to be successful.  At one time a high % so sales was by third party sellers.  The resources were sold on CD's.  As time went on Logos / FL made wise adjustments, and that is good for those of us who are customers.  It means Faithlife is going to be around a long time, even as it continues to change to be more effective as circumstances change.

Despite all the changes in platforms and technology, I have not lost a single book I bought from Logos in some 23 years or more.  Nor have I had to pay for it again when operating systems and software changed.  The integrity of the company has never changed.

I trust Faithlife / Logos. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:28 PM

Michael Childs:

Despite all the changes in platforms and technology, I have not lost a single book I bought from Logos in some 23 years or more.  Nor have I had to pay for it again when operating systems and software changed.  The integrity of the company has never changed.

I trust Faithlife / Logos. 

Well said! Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:38 PM

Doc B:
I'm not going to go bid on one of the resources with which I have no interest.

That isn't the point or intent. Rather, Of the 7 books you were interested in, 4 had almost no interest by others, 2 were quite popular, and one had modest interest. Of the 3 remaining books you were interested in, there is more focus from the audience in general for those resources. It's the law of concentration. 

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2016 1:52 AM

Doc B:

Looking at it another way, many of us have had such a long pre-pub orders list that we've started to be much more discerning about new pre-pub orders, because we know we couldn't afford to buy everything on our pre-pub list. If I have fewer existing pre-pub orders (and therefore I'm within my book budget), I'm going to be more likely to order a book that's a "probably" than I would if I had $7,000 of pre-pubs already ordered.

Posts 617
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2016 3:51 AM

Mark Barnes:

I'm disappointed that several of my pre-pubs have been cancelled — Calvin's Sermons, for example, but I'm not surprised. Some of them had been languishing for years without much traction.

Very disappointed that Calvin's sermons have been cancelled!

Posts 1890
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2016 6:18 AM

Mark Barnes:
https://unbound.co.uk/ takes that to an even deeper level. It's Kickstarter for books.

Bob Pritchett started a thread a few days ago about using Kickstarter for various FL initiatives. I found that interesting, because only a few days before that I had been thinking of reaching out to FL to find out what it would cost to fund a few pre-pubs that I wanted sooner rather than later. There were 2-3 pre-pubs that, depending on actual cost, I may have been willing to foot the bill to get.

Now, less than a week after I had that thought, they cancel a bunch of pre-pubs, including 1-2 that were in my mind regarding funding. If Kickstarter was already in Bob's mind, I'm not sure why FL couldn't have picked a few pre-pubs to try Kickstarting to see if that was viable.

#StillDisappointed

Donnie

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS