Text Comparison Tool does not respect Bible prioritization when using collections. WIN 6.10 Beta 4 (6.10.0.0018)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 917
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 23 2016 5:58 PM

Replication:

• Prioritize several Bibles in the Library
  • Create a collection of several prioritized Bibles
  • Open the Text Comparison Tool
  • Select the Bible collection created above
  • Compare John 3:16

I expected that the Bibles would be sorted by priority so I could compare the translations against my prefered Bible, but instead they were sorted alphabetically.

I prefer default sorting by priority, but it would be nice to have a selector to choose sorting by priority or alphabetically.

Posts 2068
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:10 PM

It is true that text comparison doesn't consider prioritization, but you can obtain the order you wish by entering the versions you're concerned about separated by commas. I have a TC shortcut on my toolbar and my last used resources/ordering are remembered. I have a collection of Bibles called "English Bibles (comparative)" specifically for the TC tool. Most of the time I my TC box looks something like [ESV, LEB, NET, NJPS, English Bibles (comparative)] The nice thing is that TC is smart enough not to duplicate the versions I called out up front, even though they are also part of the collection. As long as I don't change the versions/collections, every time I click on the shortcut I get the same comparison set to the currently active reference.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:46 PM

Tim Hensler:
I expected that the Bibles would be sorted by priority so I could compare the translations against my prefered Bible, but instead they were sorted alphabetically.

Observation: Text Comparison sort order using collections has been consistent since Logos 4.

Work around is specifying resource order for comparison:

Dreaming of larger Text Comparison resource list entry so could see:

2012:NA28, 2014:UBS5, Greek Text Comparison

Also would like option to choose sort order of Alphabetic or Priority for collection resources.

FYI: personally added year prefix to Bible short and long titles so alphabetical order = chronological.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 12:06 PM

Tim Hensler:

I will create a case for this suggestion. 

Posts 946
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 12:09 PM

I have put numbers in the title of the bibles so

1 ESV

2 NIV

etc

This puts them in the order I want. (in text comparison tool) This is different to prioritisation.

P A

Posts 917
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 12:33 PM

Thank you Reuben, Keep Smiling 4 Jesus and P A for your suggestions.  I guess I'm getting tired of doing the workarounds when some simple automation would work.  What do you think of the following behavior:

1. If user enters a list of specific Bibles, TC should list them in the order they are entered.
  2. If user enters a collection, TC should list them in order of Priority
  3. If the TC is saved as a shortcut, the shortcut should remember the list/collection selected when the shortcut is created and display Bibles accordingly as described in 1 and 2 above.

Thank you, Angela, for considering this request. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 12:42 PM

Tim Hensler:

1. If user enters a list of specific Bibles, TC should list them in the order they are entered.
  2. If user enters a collection, TC should list them in order of Priority

1. Concur

2. Prefer Sort order option (similar to Search Match checking).  Default is Alphabetic, which can be changed to Priority.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS