OT: Making sense of Intel’s convoluted CPU lineup

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 786
JRS | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:01 AM

I debated as to whether or not I would post the following link, but there have been so many questions in this forum(s) re: which Intel-based computer/laptop/tablet/cpu to buy, I thought maybe I should.  So, FWIW ...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/pentium-core-i5-core-i7-making-sense-of-intels-convoluted-cpu-lineup/ 

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1441
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:56 PM

Nice recap.  Thanks for sharing!

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2016 3:55 AM

When I purchased my current laptop which I primarily chose for working with Logos I ended up choosing Core i5 rather than Core i7. This article confirmed that it was probably the best choice for me. Here is the quote that stood out to me about Core i5 - They "probably represent the best balance of price and performance for high-end users." I have found it to be an excellent choice to run Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2016 4:12 AM

I have i7 because of CAD work and Logos runs fine, but I feel it is an overkill for Logos. 

The saved money you can use for extra screen(s) Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 786
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2016 6:57 AM

Bruce Dunning:

... Here is the quote that stood out to me about Core i5 - They "probably represent the best balance of price and performance for high-end users." I have found it to be an excellent choice to run Logos.

That caught my eye, too, along with this comment, "... jumping from a Pentium or Core i3 to a Core i5 will get you a much larger performance bump than jumping from an i5 to an i7."

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2016 2:20 PM

Thank you - excellent article which I will save to refer to in the future for my next computer purchase.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS