highlighting text

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10
Paul Williamson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:06 AM

I  am trying to highlight certain words in a text. I highlight a word and when i go to next word that i want to highlight, the first word loses the highlight, what am i doing wrong ?

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:18 AM

The Highlighting tool doesn't work like a highlighting pen, which might be why it's not working the way you might expect it to. After you turn on the Highlighting tool (on the Tools menu), you have to select the text you want to highlight and then click on the highlighting color you want to use. Merely selecting the text doesn't actually apply the highlighting, so if you're seeing what you think is the highlight disappear from the first word when you select another word, that's probably just the selection that is going away (it happens to also look like blue highlighting, but it's not).

Alternatively, you can select the text and then press Ctrl+K, which will apply the last highlighting color you used to the currently selected text. Ctrl+K works regardless of whether the Highlighting tool panel is open.

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:56 AM

Actually, having this ability would greatly improve the highlighting function! It would definitely speed things up. Highlighting can be a real chore the way it is set up right now.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 9:50 PM

Daniel R. Smith:

Actually, having this ability would greatly improve the highlighting function! It would definitely speed things up. Highlighting can be a real chore the way it is set up right now.

This has been suggested already. Bob Pritchett has explained the reasoning behind the way they implemented it -- they don't like getting the user into "modes" where she might be stuck and not know how to get out. However they are inconsistent about this. There are at least two other "modes" I know of -- Full Screen Reading Mode (F11 gets you in and out of that) and Drawing Mode (F8 to get in, Esc to get out). So their reasoning is lame, and I think they should implement it. People could figure out (or learn) how to get out of this mode. Either press the same function key again or Esc to get back out of the mode. F2 and F4 seem to be available function keys with nothing assigned to them, so perhaps they could consider this...

Incidentally, try out Drawing Mode (F8). It's only a temporary highlight which gets erased as soon as you press F8 again to clear the screen, or Esc to get out of drawing mode. But it'll give you a feel for what it might be like trying to highlight text with the mouse. I personally cannot draw straight enough to do it well, so my highlights would be messy. I like them neat the way they are now. Of course Logos could implement it to snap the highlighting to the closest chunk of text to where you swiped the highlighter pen instead of doing freeform drawing. That would be better IMHO.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:53 AM

Rosie,

I tried that drawing mode from your F8 and Esc.keystrokes before you said to try it out.   I also had the same problem with straight lines.  Maybe a tablet and pen for entry would straighten it out.  Regardless, what could the purpose of that drawing mode be?  It highlights it but can you do much with it before having to Esc. out?   I would assume colors are possible.  How would you get those?

William

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:09 AM

William Bingham:

I tried that drawing mode from your F8 and Esc.keystrokes before you said to try it out.   I also had the same problem with straight lines.  Maybe a tablet and pen for entry would straighten it out.  Regardless, what could the purpose of that drawing mode be?  It highlights it but can you do much with it before having to Esc. out?   I would assume colors are possible.  How would you get those?

Drawing mode is meant for people who do presentations from their computer. So you can draw (temporarily) to point things out to people. There's a video on the Logos website that describes how it might be used: Drawing Mode. You can change the color of the pen by rotating the mouse scroll wheel; it cycles through 4 available colors (kind of like white board markers which usually come in 4 colors).

I don't think it's all that important to be able to draw straight for Drawing Mode. It does do a pretty cool job of mimicking what it feels like to draw with a marker on a whiteboard. And it cleans up the curvature of the line a bit for you after you release the mouse. I personally am not likely to use it since I don't do presentations from Logos to people. But I can see how it might be useful for seminary teachers or Bible study leaders.

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 4:02 PM

Yes +1 from me for "Highlighting Mode"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS