A14- Color feedback

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1407
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:34 AM

I like the idea of playing with the colors, and especially have a book's TOC marked off.

1) When I opened A14, my first response was "Whoa, too much gray!" in the tabs and title bar. I liked (or at least was used to) what was their before. At least, it's too dark.

2) The TOC shading is too blue-ish. I'd prefer a lighter shade of gray, something that is just barely noticeable, but sets it off as "not-reading-material-like-that-other-pane-over-there"

Thanks

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 12:55 PM

Sorry, Ben. I love the new colours. It's starting to feel more like a Mac program rather than a Windows port. Also, the greater contrast makes it much easier to pick out the different panels.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:08 PM

Stephen Ashton:

Sorry, Ben. I love the new colours. It's starting to feel more like a Mac program rather than a Windows port. Also, the greater contrast makes it much easier to pick out the different panels.

I'm with you, Stephen. Sorry, Ben. I have slight vision problems (AMD) and the greater contrast is a help.

However, I'd like a slightly wider vertical scroll bar, as I find I often miss the bar with the mouse arrow when I want to scroll down a screenful with a click.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 452
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:19 PM

With Steven and Alan on this as well Ben. As a guy with color blindness, the new colors help as they are much more defined.

all about Christ,
David 

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 1407
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:45 PM

I don't understand how setting black text on grey = "greater contrast." That's lesser contrast. I'm particularly talking about the tabs, toolbar area, and TOC.

Take a look at this shot, for example.

That's much less readable, being colorblind has nothing to do with it.

I'm not seeing any actual new colors anywhere. Just darker tabs, toolbar, and a distinct bluish-grey TOC, which I think is too dark.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 22
Tony Garcia | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:52 PM

I know they are still working on font issues, and they said that there will be steady upgrades to the GUI with each release. I've really liked where they've gone with the look so far. It feels so much tighter and organized, which is really important to me. I want it to be easy to arrange windows (which it already is) and then be able to to distinguish them. I love how Logos is moving everything into one window.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 3:10 PM

Ben:

I don't understand how setting black text on grey = "greater contrast." That's lesser contrast. I'm particularly talking about the tabs, toolbar area, and TOC.

That's much less readable, being colorblind has nothing to do with it.

I'm not seeing any actual new colors anywhere. Just darker tabs, toolbar, and a distinct bluish-grey TOC, which I think is too dark.

Ben, I think this is more an area that is still incomplete in the UI than anything else. I'm sure they will address this and many other typography related issues in future alpha releases. They have good designers on staff and they will surely continue to be involved during the UI polish phases of development. This is a great step in the right direction but it's only just an initial step. I expect improvements with future releases.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:21 PM

Ben:

Ben, that's the one area where I agree that readability has been significantly affected and should be addressed by converting the font to black rather than just a darker grey.

That issue aside, I prefer the contrast between the title bars and the darker window background versus the white background. Previous versions were too insipid compared to all the other apps on the Mac.

I also really like the colour choice for the table of contents. It's starting to pick up on the UI in programs like iTunes. Compare the screenshots below:

I'm going to shoot myself in the foot with regard to readability now, but I wonder whether the font in the Table of Contents is too large when compared to similar situations elsewhere in the Mac UI. For example, the sidebar in iTunes

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:39 PM

Yep, I haven't really addressed fonts much yet (as I just started working on the UI about a week ago). I'm trying to start on the outside and work my way in, So you'll see some more chrome-level changes in the next alpha, but I'm getting there!

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:43 PM

Darren Paul Wright:

Yep, I haven't really addressed fonts much yet (as I just started working on the UI about a week ago). I'm trying to start on the outside and work my way in, So you'll see some more chrome-level changes in the next alpha, but I'm getting there!

Darren, are you a developer or designer @ Logos? Just curious how your process works from design to development.

The changes are looking good, I'm looking forward to the next alpha more than ever.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:45 PM

Stephen Ashton:

I'm going to shoot myself in the foot with regard to readability now, but I wonder whether the font in the Table of Contents is too large when compared to similar situations elsewhere in the Mac UI. For example, the sidebar in iTunes

I would agree. Also, the active/inactive states for selected objects (books, chapters, etc...) are in need of some polish. I'm sure some if not all of that will see some changes in future alpha releases.

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:49 PM

I'm on the development team as the UI designer, and I try to avoid code as much as possible (we have far better developers for that), but I do tend to overlap into code at times.

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:52 PM

Darren Paul Wright:

I'm looking forward to the next alpha already! Keep up the good work!

You're probably doing this already, but I would encourage you to look at the existing Mac UI and see how it can be applied to L4 on the Mac. Until A14 was released I was expecting L4 to look more like a Windows port rather than a Mac program. Now I'm looking forward to getting a program that is much more like the others I use regularly.

Thanks.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:25 PM

Darren Paul Wright:

I'm on the development team as the UI designer, and I try to avoid code as much as possible (we have far better developers for that), but I do tend to overlap into code at times.

Darren, I know exactly what your talking about. I have the same role as a User Experience designer. I design the UI within the dev team and help make sure it translates correctly to code. It's an exciting and challenging design discipline. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work show through in the upcoming releases.

Oh, and If you ever need another UI designer in house I'd love to join the team.  :)

Seriously though good work on this update. It was refreshing to see the UI start to evolve with this release.

Blessings!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS