Sell me on MobileEd

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 3 2016 6:29 AM

I have seen many people excited many times over these products.   I too have l ur chased one, Witheringtons John, and frankly returned it.  I do not see any appeal to having videos in Logos, and the rest of what was included didn't seem worth $40.  With so many respected scholars and institutions making their lectures and classes and conferences available for free, I don't see paying hundreds of dollars for content that hole in Logos is not accresited.  You could pay a similar amount and actually work towards a degreee.  (I don't need to hear why you don't need a degree to do ministry.)

So for all of you who are proponents, please tell me why you think these are such a value.

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 6:43 AM

For me it is an essential way train future pastors.  I believe currently theological methods are very flawed. If you are interested in my complete analysis I can send you a paper. I am using it in our ministerial training program to train future pastors. It allows one to use  variety of experts and still give people a quality theological education, while training them for their specific context. 

Posts 2058
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 7:07 AM

I look at them as any other resource.  By your logic, I would ask, why would one purchase books or anything else at all by authors who have free online courses?  Certainly you could glean enough information from the course so that you would not need the book.  I like having the courses tagged and tied together in one place with all of the relevant resources, which is the same reason I like Logos in general.  The courses also show me how to search for things and do research relevant to each course that I might not have gotten otherwise.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 7:52 AM

My experience is that there are good ones and bad ones. Even the bad one taught me something and the good ones change my way of thinking. I guess it depends on where you are coming from in relation to what you already know.  If you don't know a lot (i.e. me) then getting someone knowledgeable to scope out a chunk of work, explain it  and suggest additional reading has been invaluable- I learn in 100 hrs of structured reading what would have taken me a 1000 to pick up by myself.  I'm not going to share my bad experience simply because I think it is horses for courses and I what was bad for me may be good for someone else. I will share though that Bl100 by D. Bock brought me a long way on understanding a structured way of bible study. 

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 11:51 AM

I have limited experience with MobileEd (3 courses) so I can't give you a comprehensive evaluation, but so far it hasn't impressed me. The segments are too brief to develop penetrating thought and leave me feeling like I've had a helpful introduction rather than a meaningful course. I've gotten far more from iTunes U courses from top seminaries. (And nothing beats in-person training at a top-tier seminary.)

Posts 2222
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 3:25 PM

Mobile Ed meets a certain need, niche, especially for those of us who are busy with real life, but want quality continuing education or refreshment.  Other online courses may be high quality and free, and I recommend them, but Mobile Ed courses are integrated with Logos and the Library we already have.  That is worth a lot to me and makes my library more valuable too.

The videos are of little value, and mostly I don't watch them, because the scripts are included.  I get more from reading the script.  That may just be my learning style.  I feel like the videos just skim the surface.  If the videos really went down deep and explained things, I might find them more useful. 

I have learned a lot from the content and do most of the additional reading.

Here is the thing: Without outlines and links to resources I have, many of those premium resources might never get read. The time needed to find that information and compile it on my own would be too much.  I spend a lot of time highlighting and marking up each of my courses in it's own resource-specific note file.  I find a lot of value in that, which we can't get anywhere else.  

Mostly the courses are far over-priced for me, but I am getting enough at lower prices to keep me busy.  

Posts 9226
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 3:57 PM

I've enjoyed the courses that I have done. I like the fact that I can listen/see the presenter and follow the script at the same time as I highlight and take notes in real time and pause if I need more time. They are not as in-depth as I would like but that's why I have other resources.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 645
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 5:41 PM

I think the Mobile Ed courses are way too expensive. That said, they offer useful information, it's integrated into Logos, and they provide useful tips on using Logos. For me, the real value of Mobile Ed is how its content helps me use Logos better and do better research.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 1:28 PM

They suggest a Platinum library.  Cannot I just buy certain books?

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 1:46 PM

Everett Headley:
So for all of you who are proponents, please tell me why you think these are such a value.

I own 29 MobileEd courses, and have PrePub orders in for a few more. Several times I have questioned their value, because (as you said) you can pick up similar courses for free on iTunesU or elsewhere.

However, I've continued to buy them for the following reasons:

1. The short segments really, really suit me. I rarely have time to listen to a 45 or 60 minute lecture. But I can listen to a mobileEd segment whilst I'm washing/shaving in the morning. It's part of my daily routine, and I speed through them pretty quickly.
  2. I don't know why, but the video does enhance my learning. I concentrate better, and retain more.
  3. Having the transcripts is useful, and despite having a very large library, I do find the courses coming up in search results reasonably regularly.
  4. Whilst simple, the quizzes do motivate me, and test whether I've been paying attention.

I've already got an MPhil, and I want to broaden my learning, not deepen it. Because I'm a full-time pastor, I need to do that in an engaging way, in short chunks every day. mobileEd is perfect for that, and (for me) well worth paying for (although I dearly wish they were cheaper).

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 1:56 PM

Combining your points 1 and 2, Mark, you maybe an audio learner.  Many people who talk for a living - singers, newscasters, actors - are.  Perhaps some pastors!!!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:15 PM

Mark Barnes:
(although I dearly wish they were cheaper).

I would purchase almost all the courses if they were affordable. Too many went through Pre-Pub too quickly to get all I wanted. I have plateaued at 51. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2222
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 6 2016 8:56 PM

I wish to update my post above.  The videos have more than "a little value."  I was wrong.  Sorry.   Having some time, I have been watching them the last couple days quite a bit and changed my mind.  The videos have a lot of value. 

Posts 1880
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 7:06 AM
  1. I feel the segments are too short (4-5mins), thus the lecturer cannot really go deep into the subject. And I don't like that. I feel like when interrupted, the lecturer has forgotten what the previous video was all about.
  2. Vimeo and YouTube has SO MANY bachelor and master degree in theology worth of classes that are much better in contents than MobileEd... for free.
  3. Thus, I think MobileEd needs to up the value greatly to compete with the current trend. (vs books in Logos that has tags & etc, MobileEd has no values that are equal to those)
Posts 2222
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 2:43 PM

One more positive plug for the Mobile Ed videos:  They are also great for review after completing a course.  Listen to the videos for an abbreviated presentation that sends all that learning rushing back into your brain.  As Mark says, you can do it whilst shaving.   

Posts 3222
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 3:10 PM

Some are good, some are so-so- but the biggest problem way to expensive- I only buy if on CP or at a really cheap price- sorry MHO.

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 3:19 PM

Thus far, the responses here don't really show my how MobileEd is different than other, video-based, short or long, lectures provided elsewhere.  

I would like to know why it is worth to it to have a transcript (hyperlinked as it may be) that cost hundreds of dollars.

Posts 1041
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 3:25 PM

I have a studied 4 of the mobile ed courses. I preferred the old video ones because I liked using VLC more than the Logos interface. For starters I watch loads of video lectures at 2x and 3x speed. Busy life. But actually I concentrate better for a shorter time and retain much more that way. They are a pretty relaxing way to learn and I would recommend all 4 of those courses. In my opinion they are not a replacement to a proper theological education though. The process of writing assignments and feedback as well as the learning community at a real theological college/uni/seminary is a wonderful thing to be a part of... but then not everyone can do that all of the time!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 3861
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 5:06 PM

Really all has been said, but more briefly:

1. Integration withing Logos--from searches to library.

2. we learn better whilst (nod to Mr. Barnes) having multiple sensory inputs.

could be much cheaper.  Jumped on John (I think great deal, love seeing Ben), but eschewed most of the other, much higher, ones.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 6:02 PM

Here's my two cents from what is my honest opinion:

Cent #1: Some courses are good and listening and watching and intereacting with them, make them worthwhile. One example, from experience, is "Invitation to Biblical Preaching II" by James Edwards. It's, in a sence and for me, better than reading H. Robinson's text "Biblical Preaching" (though I'd still encourage people to read it). The reason why is better for me is because I'm a visual learner and the interactive exercises reenforce what I've learned.

Cent #2: Some courses are not good because, in my opinion, they're overpriced Sunday school lessons; and really, what you're paying for is the "premium speaker" giving the lesson. One example is Craig Evans's two lessons "The Reliability of the NT Manuscripts" and "Jesus and the Witness of the Outsiders." I literally presented those two lessons back in 2007 at a youth summer camp. Of course, the titles were slightly different, but the content was virtually identical. So, what is the difference? With Mobile Ed you're paying for a "premium speaker" (Craig Evans) and in 2007 the youth paid for camp; and the lessons by some average Joe were included as part of the activities that took place at the camp.

The point, it may have to be up to you to try the different Mobile Ed's available and decide which ones are worth your money. One thing to remember is, don't think that just because you're paying for a "premium speaker" that the quality of the presentation will blow you away. Sometimes premium speaker is not so good as it may seem.

Blessings!

DAL

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS