Missing Links Talmud/Mishnah

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 5 2016 9:01 PM

I have been away from logos for quite some time. (Too slow on my old MacBook pro, drove my absolutely nuts every time I tried to use it!)  I purchased a new computer finally, and installed L6 by using the Logos Now free month offer.  I am only licensed for L5 so not sure what I am missing but wanted to see how it would run. (Amazing!  Installed/indexed by the time I woke up this morning.) 

Anyway, I was reading the Jewish New Testament Commentary and was surprised to see that all the references to the Talmud and Mishnah were not linked to those books that are in my library!  I figured out that I could type the reference in the search box on the Mishnah but that is a real pain to do every time.  I wonder if all of the books in Logos are the same in regards to linking to Mishnah/Talmud?  Maybe there is something I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2016 9:29 PM

I don't have an answer to your question, but for clarification:

Nathan:

I purchased a new computer finally, and installed L6 by using the Logos Now free month offer.  I am only licensed for L5 so not sure what I am missing but wanted to see how it would run. (Amazing!  Installed/indexed by the time I woke up this morning.) 

The software is always free. You aren't "licensed for L5." Rather, presumably, you purchased an L5 base package. You could have always updated your software (and should have!) to L6 for free. Doing so would have given you many new features, but you would not have had access to the new features which require new datasets. To gain access to those would have required the purchase of a new base package OR cross grade. 

Your subscription to "Logos Now" STILL does not provide you with those features... Although it may in the future. What you are getting now is essentially L7 features. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26123
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2016 9:43 PM

Nathan:
I was reading the Jewish New Testament Commentary and was surprised to see that all the references to the Talmud and Mishnah

Not surprising - the Jewish New Testament Commentary was in Logos long before the Talmud and hence was not linked. I would suspect that it is long priority in the update queue ... low but not forgotten.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1384
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 6 2016 11:31 AM

There are some tags in some resources that seem to point to Tosefta.

I am not an expert, but learning, therefore I ask whether Tosefta is practically included in Talmud or should we have Tosefta separately?

And if Tosefta is provided as a separate resource, will those existing tags start to work as links?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 921
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 10:00 AM

Veli Voipio:

There are some tags in some resources that seem to point to Tosefta.

I am not an expert, but learning, therefore I ask whether Tosefta is practically included in Talmud or should we have Tosefta separately?

And if Tosefta is provided as a separate resource, will those existing tags start to work as links?

You are not mistaken. When we created the Mishnah, Babylonian Talmud, and Jerusalem Talmud data types we created a Tosefta data type and have been dutifully tagging Tosefta references in the hope that some day we will have a target Tosefta resource. Once that target Tosefta resource exists, the existing tags will resolve.

Posts 1384
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 11:39 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
in the hope that some day we will have a target Tosefta resource

Geeked

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2016 8:31 AM

alabama24:
Your subscription to "Logos Now" STILL does not provide you with those features... Although it may in the future. What you are getting now is essentially L7 features. 

This is a little confusing, so the advantage to Logos Now subscription is I get features like Factbook and the Bible Sense Lexicon for the subscription price.  Correct?

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2016 8:39 AM

MJ. Smith:

Nathan:
I was reading the Jewish New Testament Commentary and was surprised to see that all the references to the Talmud and Mishnah

Not surprising - the Jewish New Testament Commentary was in Logos long before the Talmud and hence was not linked. I would suspect that it is long priority in the update queue ... low but not forgotten.

Yes this makes sense.  Well it will be nice when it gets fixed.  It sounds like there is some system/automation built-in to building resources (Tosefta remarks in this thread).  You'd think someone just needs to press a button somewhere to rebuild the resource.  (Haha)

Posts 24712
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2016 12:14 PM

Nathan:
so the advantage to Logos Now subscription is I get features like Factbook and the Bible Sense Lexicon for the subscription price.  Correct?

No - they come from your Logos 5 base package. However, you do not have access to the Logos 6 features of Factbook until you get an L6 base package or crossgrade. Logos Now only provides access to additional content, tools, features, datasets and media not available in Logos 6 - see https://www.logos.com/logos-now and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105147.aspx. But some of the 'updates' or features in Logos Now will not be applicable to you without an L6 package e.g. Vol 2 of Interactives that came with Logos 6.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS