Retiring the Send-to-Kindle Feature on 3/31

Page 2 of 9 (163 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 162 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 4
Bradley Ermeling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 2:20 PM

Thank you for clarifying. Just downloaded 93 items.

Posts 13126
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 2:22 PM

William Gabriel:
If you find a good one, let us know about it.

I've ordered a Boyue T62+, on the advice of this thread. I know it won't be perfect, but it looks like it will have to do.

Posts 9812
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 2:36 PM

Dan Francis:
There will be obvious blow back in that several people claimed to have upgraded to 6 for only this reason.
Actually, for me, this feature was one reason to buy a Kindle device last summer - reading stuff in glaring sunlight.

Not that I did use this feature a lot, but I could have. This still is sad news.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1672
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 3:38 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
doubt if the upload personal books feature will go away.

No, not for Amazon, etc. reasons. But, we have been told on the Android forum that syncing to mobile hasn't happened yet because of copyright/piracy concerns, rather than overwhelming technical issues. From that perspective, there is no difference between uploading a PB for desktop sync and uploading the same PB for mobile sync.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 70
Christopher Engelsma | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 4:54 PM

It's still very easy to send text to a Kindle.  Just a few extra steps.

Posts 284
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 4:55 PM

This is a sad day.

Posts 40
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 5:04 PM

This disappointing development raises this question:

Are there any other features, advertised and purchased as part of Logos 6, that are liable to stop working?  Perhaps I am naive, but I thought that unless a feature was advertised as time limited (like two year access to Logos Books) then it should continue to function because it was purchased as part of a program.  I have purchased other software that became dated, but never stopped doing what it did when used within the OS for which it was designed.

If the issue is Amazon, then could not an alternative be provided e.g. export as epub to our own HDD?

If the issue is a particular publisher or books bought after the Logos 6 purchase, could not the functionality be retained for books purchased by a set date?  If the issue is not Amazon, then I don't understand how some ebook export feature cannot be retained.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 5:07 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Due to a combination of technical, legal, and permission issues outside our control, we're going to retire the send-to-Kindle feature on 3/31. You'll be able to use the service through the end of the month. After that point, it will no longer work. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Update: Books already sent to Kindle will not be affected by this change. You will be able to continue to enjoy them on your Kindle after 3/31.

I am guessing the following suggestion would be an impossibility based on my exegesis of your use of the words "combination of" and "permission issues." However, if this is an Amazon-only dispute, it would be nice if Logos considered enabling a create ePub feature.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 956
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 6:47 PM

I would be surprised if this had anything to do with Amazon. 'Technical' sounds like it's on Faithlife's end, and 'legal' and 'permission' sound like publsihers. My speculating little two cents.

Posts 2016
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 7:25 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Betcha the Upload button for Personal Books is next.

<<SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!>>

He didn't say nuthin'!

I agree it is too bad to see Send To Kindle go away, but really, it's not very hard to do the old fashioned way.  What is lost other than a couple steps?

Posts 1121
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 8:33 PM

So bummed! I rely on this feature to send my books to the Marvin app. Will logos develop a send to ePub replacement feature by any chance? Or please put more reader friendly options in the Logos app.

Posts 282
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 10:53 PM

I really appreciated the ability to use that function, but have been wondering how the publishers would allow Logos to offer it. The files do not have any DRM protection and it is trivial to convert them to any other e-book format and read them on any device. I certainly do not think that DRM is a good thing, but it was strange that the publishers would allow Logos to do something that they wouldn't allow other booksellers to do.

Posts 3637
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 11:28 PM

Jonathan:
it would be nice if Logos considered enabling a create ePub feature.

... or create MOBI feature. 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 2:54 AM

I too am quite disappointed that this feature will disappear. We will have to use less convenient means of doing similar things such as using the Kindle printer or convert to PDFand then use the Amazon convert service... 

This feature was the reason I bought a kindle, although in the last months, the nature of my work has made me use it less. I will keep on following with interest the thread on e-ink tablets in hope that at some point, a good one will be produced.

Posts 30
Todd Hinton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 3:41 AM

Very disappointing news.  This was a great feature, and yes, a particular reason to purchase Logos 6.  It will be hard to reproduce a feature that is that useful in future releases of Logos.

The good news is that purchasing books directly for Kindle will remain an attractive option.

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 7:07 AM

Horrible news. This will mean most of my non-reference book purchases will be now be made at Amazon instead of Logos. I definitely prefer reading on an e-ink screen. Any hope we could see this return sometime in the future? This feature alone is worth paying for.

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 7:24 AM

Whatever obstacles have led to this decision: I hope that FL is hearing what is being said here, business will be lost to the profit of Amazon.

Posts 233
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 7:51 AM

The availability of the "Send To Kindle" function played a big part in my decision to purchase things like the C.S. Lewis collection, since I knew that I would enjoy reading those books on a Kindle. 

This announcement from FL also sort of changes the way I feel about the Britannica Great Books of the Western World collection, as well.  I don't really want to read Huck Finn or Cervantes inside of the Logos GUI, and other than the Syntopicon, I was imagining myself mainly using the Kindle to read many of those works.

[EDIT]: What's happening is sort of the reverse of a value add resulting from a new feature.  Instead of a new feature of Logos ADDING utility to a resource in our libraries, this feature subtraction is actually making purchased resources LESS USEFUL than they were before.  It could very well be removing utility which was present at the time of purchase of the resource.

Sometimes publishers will change licensing agreements with Logos, and as a result certain resources will no longer be available for sale on the Logos website.  Anyone who owned the resource prior to the removal has, in the past, been "grandfathered", and has continued to have access to a resource that was rightfully purchased under an agreement which, for whatever reason, is no longer offered.  Would Faithlife be able to "grandfather" the Send To Kindle function for folks who owned and/or purchased resources during the time window when Send to Kindle was available?

Posts 13126
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 8:03 AM

Francis:

Whatever obstacles have led to this decision: I hope that FL is hearing what is being said here, business will be lost to the profit of Amazon.

If the decision is genuinely necessary, one way of mitigating the negatives would be for the Android app to better support e-Ink devices. Even simple changes like supporting hardware buttons, and an e-Ink colour scheme would help.

Posts 13126
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2016 8:04 AM

Brian Losabia:
Would Faithlife be able to "grandfather" the Send To Kindle function for folks who owned and/or purchased resources during the time window when Send to Kindle was available?

They've said that we can Send to Kindle until the end of the month, and anything that we send will continue to be available after the feature is switched off.

Page 2 of 9 (163 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS