Note On John Piper Sermon Archive

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 11 2016 9:48 AM

I often consult John Pipers sermons as if they were a commentary. Recently, instead of reading the sermon manuscript I listened to the sermon on the Desiring God website. I heard a real gem in the sermon and I went to Logos to read the quote again only to find that it wasn't there. It was also missing from the sermon transcript on the DG website. 

I've listened to two Piper sermons in the past few months and both had additional material not found in the sermon library.

Apparently the product isn't truly transcripts. They seem to be a sermon manuscript that Piper brought into the pulpit but when he goes "off script" it doesn't appear in what we have written down.

So...

• If you are considering the product - understand what you're getting.
  • If you own the product - recognize there might be more material from Piper available on the free sermon audio.
Posts 1069
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:03 AM

That's correct. The product page you link to says the format is Manuscript, so if he goes off-manuscript, we don't get it. If you compare it to the Tim Keller Sermon Archives, you'll see that says Transcript. He doesn't have intelligible sermon notes for us.

I ran into the same issue you did wanting to look up Piper's famous "MAKE WAR!" sermon on holiness. 

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:12 AM

I use Piper's sermons extensive and while there are some differences between the audio fround on the DG website and the resource in Logos, I haven't found them to be significantly different.  More akin to me listening to someone preach from NIV and me following in ESV, but even that is probably too far different from what I actually found.

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:54 AM

Everett Headley:
I haven't found them to be significantly different.

In this case (his sermon on Luke 15:11-24) the quote I went looking for is an entire paragraph that doesn't appear in the manuscript text.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS