A14 - Send to Keynote

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:46 PM

I can't get 'Send to Keynote' to work in Biblical People. Is this me?

The command opens the Keynote program, but doesn't import the graphic. I can copy and paste the image into keynote and 'Send to Powerpoint' works as expected ...

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:55 PM

How are you getting to this option?  Nothing happens when I right click in Biblical People.

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:00 PM

MichaelKares:

How are you getting to this option?  Nothing happens when I right click in Biblical People.

Right click in the white space near the diagram. In the screenshot below I clicked just below Herod's name:

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:10 PM

Thanks for the help.  When I initially tried it I was viewing a picture from a Bible Dictionary.  I'm guessing these may not qualify for the "Export" function.

BTW: Keynote only opened for me as well

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:35 PM

I tried it and once Keynote opened I did 2 finger click and selected paste and it pasted the diagram from Logos. I then deleted it and used command-v and that also pasted it into keynote. My guess would be that it doesn't paste it for you, you have to do that yourself.Stick out tongue

Posts 75
Glenn Gervais (google) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 2:51 PM

Sending to Keynote (and PowerPoint) use apple scripts.

the script to paste into Keynote is much slower than the script to PowerPoint

Keynote scripting does not provide as many API's we can use, so I utilized some UI scripting to click the toolbar to insert a new page into a Keynote presentation. Try it again but don't click or move the mouse for a bit. Keynote should open (takes longer if Keynote not already running) and then you should see a new page and then a dropdown menu from the Keynote application, selecting a blank layout, then finally pasting from the pasteboard into this new blank page in Keynote.

On my Dev box:

With Keynote running it took 8 seconds

Keynote not already running, took 12 seconds

Not ideal, hopefully we'll come back later and be able to optimize or come up with different scripts

FYI

Powerpoint not running: 16 seconds

Already running: 2 seconds

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:13 AM

I've been trying to get this to work in A15 and it still doesn't seem to be working. I've left the Applescript to work for about ten minutes and it only gets so far.

It looks like the Applescript is opening Keynote and creating a new slide, but then it seems to stop. The slide created is from the 'Title and Bullets' layout, rather than the 'Blank' layout and the graphic is not pasted into the slide.

I wonder whether you have any third-party 'scripting additions' installed which are required to achieve the functionality? I know that with the 'tricked-up' development machines that you're probably using, it can be very easy to implement something that won't work on a vanilla OS install.

Thanks in advance. I can't say enough how this is fast becoming a fantastic product!

Posts 75
Glenn Gervais (google) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 9:54 AM

I don't have much scripting experience and tried to just use the basics. I'm not certain why it is not working for you. Perhaps someone with more scripting experience can look at the script and help out.

Here is how to get to our scripts

1. Ctrl+Click on Logos Bible Software 4 under your applications to show the contents

2. We have 2 scripts under the Contents/Resources folder

3. Ctrl+Click the "SendToKeynote.scpt"

4. Choose Open With -> Script Editor

We utilize the pasteboard (clipboard) for both sending to Keynote and Powerpoint, first putting the image on the pasteboard and then calling one of these scripts to send the pasteboard contents to the external application. As such, you can run these scripts from the script editor and potentially see where it is getting hung up.

You can always work around these scripts manually by simply using copy/paste.

If you, or someone else with scripting experience has some improvements to these scripts, please post your scripts here.

Thanks

Glenn

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:31 PM

Glenn - I'm an architect rather than a developer. So my knowledge is limited. However, I have been able to find out that the problem is twofold:

1) The two sections of your script that send a command to "System Events" rely on the "Enable access for assistive devices" setting in the "Universal Access" preference pane being selected. See the screenshot below:

2) The section of your script which references "menu button "Masters" of group 4 of tool bar 1 of window 1" will only work if the "Format Bar" in Keynote is hidden. Again, see the screenshot below:

It seems that the fundamental problem with your script is that you are asking Applescript control Keynote in a way Apple didn't intend. I am struggling to come up with a complete solution that will solve this problem for you (my excuse is that I'm an expert in building construction, not software development!). However, I have found that it is possible to create a workflow within Automator which takes an image file and uses this to create a new image slide within Keynote. Here's the workflow:

4152.sendToKeynote.zip

This seems more reliable than the script you're currently using. Applications created within Automator can be called via an Applescript. This is important because I believe that you would still need the first part of your script which checks that there is a slideshow open before calling the Automator workflow. Automator doesn't seem to be able to access images from the clipboard so you might also need to save the image file to a temporary directory and delete once pasted.

I hope this helps.

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:42 PM

Building on my post above, you might be able to create your own custom actions based on Applescript for use in Automator (see here) and just call a single Automator workflow saved as an application.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS