Logos Now and Logos 7

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2016 8:48 AM

Average Joe:

Matthew:

I wonder if there will be a third option to buy just the books in a Logos 7 package without committing to a Logos Now subscription. It doesn't sound like it from Phil's comment, but it might be a less expensive way to upgrade for users who don't need all the latest bells and whistles or who can't do a payment plan under the new terms. Maybe buy a books only upgrade and then get the features/datasets as a separate upgrade at a later time when finances allow for it.

I suppose you could subscribe to Logos Now for a month (for free!) and then cancel after buying the "books only" package. But Faithlife could very well choose to limit the books only packages to people who were already Now subscribers at the time Logos 7 launches. I can't say I'd blame them for doing that. You'd then just have to be a really good guesser for when to start your free month of Logos Now. Wink

Again, that's not going to happen that way... And if it does, I'll lead the complaints. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 2:17 AM

If I understand the FL pricing, Logos 7 (software only) will be free in the February time frame.

Hypothetically, suppose (1) a person owns a Logos 6 gold library. That individual also has (2) a year's Logos Now subscription that runs out next August 2017.

When Logos 7 comes out, the individual (3) purchases the Logos 7 gold library (AND datasets) at the Logos Now discount price.

In the spring of 2017 the individual (4) downloads the free Logos 7.

Now suppose that for some reason the individual (5) could not afford to renew Logos Now in August of 2017.

In this scenario, (6) the individual loses access to Logos 8 features and datasets, but continues to have access to all of Logos 7's features and datasets in the library he purchased.

However, if the subscriber to Logos Now does not receive the datasets with the purchase of the Logos 7 gold library, he would have to spend an additional amount to keep access to these datasets.

If the first scenario is correct, there is NO cost downside to owning Logos Now and it would finally make sense to me to purchase it. However, if the second scenario is correct, subscribing to Logos Now is simply an additional cost to preview datasets and upgrades.

Can somebody tell me, which scenario is the correct one? It will determine whether I purchase Logos Now now!

Posts 1087
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 2:33 AM

@ Thinking you should check out this post for your answer.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/128822.aspx 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 6:43 AM

Thinking:
Can somebody tell me, which scenario is the correct one? It will determine whether I purchase Logos Now now!

Based on Phil's comments elsewhere, it would depend upon what you purchase: A "books only" package or one with datasets included. Of course, all of this is theoretical until L7 is actually announced and we can look at the base packages to compare. Wink

Posts 2029
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 8:30 AM

Thinking:

If I understand the FL pricing, Logos 7 (software only) will be free in the February time frame.

Hypothetically, suppose (1) a person owns a Logos 6 gold library. That individual also has (2) a year's Logos Now subscription that runs out next August 2017.

When Logos 7 comes out, the individual (3) purchases the Logos 7 gold library (AND datasets) at the Logos Now discount price.

Now suppose that for some reason the individual (5) could not afford to renew Logos Now in August of 2017.

In this scenario, (6) the individual loses access to Logos 8 features and datasets, but continues to have access to all of Logos 7's features and datasets in the library he purchased.

However, if the subscriber to Logos Now does not receive the datasets with the purchase of the Logos 7 gold library, he would have to spend an additional amount to keep access to these datasets.

If the first scenario is correct, there is NO cost downside to owning Logos Now and it would finally make sense to me to purchase it. However, if the second scenario is correct, subscribing to Logos Now is simply an additional cost to preview datasets and upgrades.

I lay out your options here. You'll have the choice between buying a library + feature set (your first scenario) or just a library (your second scenario).

Thinking:

You can skip this step. You'll already have it due to #2. If you stop your subscription, you'll lose only access to licenses that enable features. You'll still be running the exact same software application.

Posts 3202
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 8:50 AM

Phil dit I have to buy Logos 7 or can I go with Logos 6 and Logos Now?

Posts 7619
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:05 AM

Well if subscribing gives me features and a cheaper book library it kind of helps so some of us can save to purchase full ownership later on. Anyway, I have a week to think about it. Meanwhile, let me repost here to see if I can get an answer. The other thread is really crowded now:

So, to summarize: I become a Logos Now member now and pretty much I start using Logos 7's features now (along with the features I already own from L6), the only thing I don't get yet is the new books that come in a Base Package, which I would have to purchase if I want those - Is that correct?

Next: If I don't become a member and just upgrade to L7 when it comes out, I will get L7's new features plus new books, but will lose L6's features since L7's features will replace them - is that accurate?

Finally, but if I want both L6's and L7's features, then I must become a member - is this right?

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:14 AM

Your first assumption is correct. If you have Logos Now, you won't get the new books that come with Logos 7 base packages, but you will have the Logos 7 features.

But your second assumption is mostly wrong. You won't lose access to Logos 6 features when Logos 7 comes out. Although some features have changed from one version to another (e.g Maps from L4/5 to L6), users kept the licences and could still access the maps (albeit in a different way). On other occasions people who bought a licence in L4 benefitted from improvements to that dataset in L5 and L6 (e.g. recerse underline are we're upgraded to include roots). However, I think that is less likely in L7. There have been only a tiny handful of examples of people losing features after an upgrade, and almost all of those were from L3 to L4. 

Posts 7619
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:26 AM

Mark Barnes:

Your first assumption is correct. If you have Logos Now, you won't get the new books that come with Logos 7 base packages, but you will have the Logos 7 features.

But your second assumption is mostly wrong. You won't lose access to Logos 6 features when Logos 7 comes out. Although some features have changed from one version to another (e.g Maps from L4/5 to L6), users kept the licences and could still access the maps (albeit in a different way). On other occasions people who bought a licence in L4 benefitted from improvements to that dataset in L5 and L6 (e.g. recerse underline are we're upgraded to include roots). However, I think that is less likely in L7. There have been only a tiny handful of examples of people losing features after an upgrade, and almost all of those were from L3 to L4. 

Thanks Mark! Running Phil's hypothetical numbers, subscribing now and purchasing full ownership later would still be cheaper about $50 bucks (maybe a little more) than if I just waited to upgrade when L7 debuts.  I think I'm becoming interested in this new membership option. Friday might just be the day I buy into this new cool offer. I guess is not for everyone, but is still good nonetheless 🤘👌👍 Thanks FL and Mark for the clarification. I guess if you missed something, Phil or others can pitch in.

DAL

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:57 AM

Thanks Phil

That was the info I was needing. I believe this program will increase the number of Logos Now subscribers. I will subscribe this afternoon. And if Logos updates yearly it will make fiscal sense to continue the Logos Now subscription.

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:58 AM

Sascha John:
Phil dit I have to buy Logos 7 or can I go with Logos 6 and Logos Now?

For clarification: "Logos 6" (and in the future, "Logos 7") refers to the software engine, which is free. In any case, you should go with "Logos 7" when the free engine is made available. 

When FL releases major new versions (i.e. L6 to L7), they will release new base packages to purchase. These are for people who want to acquire more books and/or datasets. 

Logos Now is a membership program. One of the benefits is access to ALL current and FUTURE datasets (as they are made available). 

If you aren't in the market for new books, but you want to keep up with all the new datasets and features, get Logos Now. You do not need to purchase anything (out side of the membership fee) to use Logos Now. 

Posts 3202
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2016 9:32 PM

alabama

thanks so L7 Core Engine is enought and together with LN the best Choice for me at the Moment

Posts 25997
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 4:55 AM

If you join (the new) Logos Now you will get the Logos 6 engine and features AND, when released, the Logos 7 engine & features.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3202
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 6:07 AM

Yes

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 1:51 PM

I'm glad to see a choice among the ownership, the Cloud, and the Logos Now models.  I really like the mix options of the Logos Now plans.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2016 2:31 PM

Matthew C Jones:
 I really like the mix options of the Logos Now plans.

I really like this too and think this is a good move for Faithlife.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2116
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 4:15 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Matthew C Jones:
 I really like the mix options of the Logos Now plans.

I really like this too and think this is a good move for Faithlife.

Yes

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS