Audio Tools for Study or Research?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 28 2016 8:26 AM

I spend an enormous amount of time commuting to my secular job each day.  To be exact, I work 68 miles from my home which has an insane amount of traffic daily so it takes me roughly 2.5 hours each way for a grand total of 5-5.5 hours of commuting.  During that time, I listen to everything from Christian radio to the news but today it dawned on me.  With so much 'dead' time, is there some way that I can spend my time studying or at least reading audibly?  I know that there are some apps that provide audio bibles and such, but since Logos is my main tool, why not use it for this purpose?  

Therefore, does anyone know if there are any audio tools or functionality that I can tap into? 

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2016 8:33 AM

Dennis Davis:
Therefore, does anyone know if there are any audio tools or functionality that I can tap into? 

If you're not driving then the video-based MobileEd courses are great for this.

Otherwise, Logos is building up a reasonably wide selection of Audiobooks: https://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Audiobooks 

On the iPhone you can use Read Aloud for Logos resources: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92097.aspx, but that's not the case on Android. 

Posts 21919
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2016 8:37 AM

Dennis Davis:

In the full Logos 6 product you can "Read Aloud" on many resources (thought not all) - but this requires having the full Logos 6 software on a device you are commuting with.

In the mobile devices there are just a few audio-enabled resources (the ESV and LEB are available and I'm not aware of any others). Some people - in those contexts - use text-to-speech tools but they are not supported by Faithlife.

EDIT: Mark's post corrected my comment about just two audio-enabled resources. Thanks, Mark

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2016 9:43 AM

Thanks Mark.  The Read Aloud feature is pretty good and I'm excited to give it a full test run on the way home.  In terms of the audio books there are indeed some very good ones but I agree with some of the other comments that this area could use some attention.  

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2016 5:32 AM

Hi Dennis

I can sympathize with your travel. I work contract in my day job and although I am currently only 7 miles away from home I can sometimes travel 3 or 4 hours a day. I would second (or third) the read aloud feature. I tend to drive so I take my laptop with me and plug in a mini speaker I bought for $10 so that I can hear it.  The voice is quite mechanical but I think you could get used to to it. The Lexham bible NT actually has a real spoken  voice as well which is great :-)

Good luck  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS