Logos 7 suggestions due soon

Page 3 of 6 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 101 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:17 AM

I wish we had some control over making the screen black with white lettering...something designed for readers please.

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:23 AM

JoshInRI:

I wish we had some control over making the screen black with white lettering...something designed for readers please.

This is possible in Windows, see here..

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/124701/817681.aspx#817681

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 1:56 PM

James Taylor:
I would like the ability to have a pop up window display Bible verses which are referenced OUTSIDE the program, such as in PDFs, ebooks, or virtually anything for that matter. This exists in a freeware, so I'd assume it can't be that difficult (I could be wrong). All you have to do is simply highlight a section of text that contains Bible references, press Ctrl-C and the popup comes up with the list of passages in it.  It's great, but it's the only thing I use that freeware for and think others would appreciate it in Logos 7.

Please elaborate on desire to search files OUTSIDE of Logos Bible Software.  For search speed, Logos indexes words in library resources.  Thankful for personal books that allow docx to be compiled for use in Logos Bible Software.  Note: PDF format determines search-ability; pictures of text need conversion for digital searching.

Adding "Copy Bible Verses" to right click choices for Bible reference should be helpful:

Right Click menu has Copy, which copies Bible Verse(s) from Top preferred Bible to clipboard.

Currently can open Bible to reference followed by using keyboard shortcut to open Copy Bible Verses to that reference.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 2:53 PM

Im trying to organize my library into categories and have quickly realized that this will be a lifelong task, and my library is not as big as most users. I would love it if Logos pre-organized all books by subject, and then allowed the users to manually change that organization (or to never implement the Logos categorizing). This way a user would say, be able to open their library to the biography section, and see all given biographies on Martin Luther; or open their library to "theology > baptism" and see all their books on baptism. To categorize all our books in the favorites tool is the only way to do this currently, and for almost any user, in all seriousness, this could be a life long endeavor!

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 3:11 PM

From a practical perspective, how do you expect the Faithlife subject tagging to differ from the already available subject metadata?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 3:37 PM

As far as I can tell, the subject metadata is only available on the website, and has no impact on the resources once they are in my library (tell me if I'm wrong because I'd love to use this data if it were accessible within Logos). But integration of the metadata from the website into the actual app would be excellent. As far as I'm concerned it would be best if the default library view was in these category folders. Instead of having this as the default, they could also simply add a separate way to view the library, much like the panel vs line item toggle view that exists now.

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 3:48 PM

I was thinking of this .. which has some short comings but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 3:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

I was thinking of this .. which has some short comings but ...

Ah yes this is helpful, but the difference is the inclusion of sub-categories. Biography > Luther, or theology > baptism are much more precise than only being able to search for say Luther, or baptism. Although I'm not sure if the Logos metadata has the subcategories as they stand.

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 4:19 PM

I see what you're proposing - a faceted topical search of the library. Good idea if it can be implemented.

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 4:37 PM

MJ. Smith:

a faceted topical search of the library

there's the words I was looking for!

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:00 PM

I would like to see a flashcard function added to Logos - Bible facts for kids, Biblical history, Early church history, Theology, vocabulary ... with a few card decks provided by Faithlife and some provided by users.

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:45 PM

MJ. Smith:

I would like to see a flashcard function added to Logos - Bible facts for kids, Biblical history, Early church history, Theology, vocabulary ... with a few card decks provided by Faithlife and some provided by users.

This would be great! Also as a verse and catechism memorization tool! A build up of the current Greek app would be great for this!

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:07 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Please elaborate on desire to search files OUTSIDE of Logos Bible Software.

Thanks for chiming in KS4J, not quite sure how you misunderstood by suggestion, but I never said anything about searching files. I'm suggesting, as illustrated by the picture, that anywhere there is text of a Bible reference (for instance the PDF I pictured with a passage from Matthew), I have another software that can instantly display the Bible verses that are referenced in a pop of window. So lets say your reading along in a PDF or ebook or website of word doc or what ever text it may be, all you have to do is select the section of the text that has the Bible references you want to display, and press Ctrl-C and it causes that verse to be displayed in a popup window (as illustrated). It's like an instant ref-tagger tool.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:42 PM

James Taylor:
I'm suggesting, as illustrated by the picture, that anywhere there is text of a Bible reference (for instance the PDF I pictured with a passage from Matthew), I have another software that can instantly display the Bible verses that are referenced in a pop of window.

Interesting. At least on Mac, I think that would fall under a system "service." 

The only thing I can add from KS4J's post is that not all PDF's are created equal. Many are essentially photographs, which require OCR software to convert them to "text." Good OCR software is expensive, and beyond the scope of Logos. If you have a PDF that is like a photograph, the feature you are hoping for wouldn't work. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 11:12 PM

James Taylor:
So lets say your reading along in a PDF or ebook or website of word doc or what ever text it may be, all you have to do is select the section of the text that has the Bible references you want to display, and press Ctrl-C and it causes that verse to be displayed in a popup window (as illustrated). It's like an instant ref-tagger tool.

Thread => "Replace with Passage" option in Smart Tags has disappeared for Office 2013 (32-bit) discusses 32 and 64 bit Smart Tags.

Threads discuss Smart Tags in Logos 6 => Help with Smart tags in Logos 6 and => Smart Tags for Logos version 6.7

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1824
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 1:55 PM

Again, I would like to suggest..

1. Epub, Mobi & PDF Reader.

If Logos doesn't have the ability to convert them into .docx file, then to have a built-in Reader is the least they can do. This would attract more students for sure.

Posts 1
Steve Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2016 4:48 PM

There is a substantial overlap between the e-books available from Faithlife in their proprietary format and those available cheaper elsewhere in standard formats. If Faithlife were to allow the importing of standard format e-books into Logos as personal books, they would lose revenue, and that would hurt us all.

I propose that they offer this functionality as a web-based service, with a fee. That would protect Faithlife from the potential loss of revenue, but allow users to read and search all their e-books (including those not available from Faithlife) in Logos.

I think that this is a win-win solution. Faithlife's refusal to countenance offering such functionality heretofore as been a major cause of antipathy.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:02 AM

I would continue to champion the cause of user documents. We have come a long way (esp., with tags and labels) but can see further progress.

For instance, someone suggested earlier that search results should be highlighted within notes. I agree. To keep it simple, I would say this: extend to user documents as much functionality as possible as that which is available for resources. Another example of this would be that ability to search a specific user document as opposed to the current all or nothing.

Make notes to be terrific, something that feels more like Evernote in appearance and functionality. For instance, make them able to host more types of material and to do so well. 

Logos, it seems to me is about three things: books, functions, and user documents. The latter is quite important to anyone who studies and collects information extensively. And whereas I have spoken mainly of notes, this is applicable to all user documents. Polish and improve the functionality of prayer lists, reading lists, flashcards, personal books/sermons, etc.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 10:30 AM

Francis:
I would continue to champion the cause of user documents.

As it happens, I just started a high-level design and functionality audit of Logos user documents. Documents do indeed deliver a large chunk of the overall value of the software, and there is a rich field of opportunity for improvement there.

Since this is a "Logos 7 suggestions" thread, I should point out that it's the usual pattern for us (the whole software industry, really) to concentrate new features in major releases (7.0) and to address polish/rework items in the minor releases that follow (7.1, 7.2, and beyond). I can neither confirm nor deny that we will probably most likely as far as I know follow the usual pattern this time, too. Wink

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 12:07 PM

Take Your time, then, to do all the coding and introducing of features! I don't want to start any speculation by this nor do I know anything at all about the progress, but I for one, won't be disappointed at all about delays in the release of this major version. I understand that some without a crossgrade, high-enough base-package, or Logos Now/Verbum Now would feel that there's more equality in releasing every two years because that way the ownership model gives access to features and datasets at a somewhat even pace. But very few other comparable softwares introduce new major versions very often, and there are many who like me spent lots on add-ons, wait for a PDF manual, and/or are unfamiliar with the actual functionality and use of many of the owned or subscribed features. I would keep subscribing to Logos Now next year too (2017) if that's when L7 Anglican Silver comes out. When L8 comes out I think I want a Catholic base-package, either then or when L9 comes out.
Think carefully what You want to include in base-packages!
Ideally, IMO higher base-packages from Silver and up would not include everything from the lower base-packages! This due to that I imagine that those who order a mid-level or big base-package have at least taken some seminary-level courses, or been users for some time, or have a language-talent, or have given some thought to what books they actually want - at the same time choosing not to have certain books, and if we are forced have all the too elementary books we just end up with clutter. Clutter appears both on the product-pages of base-packages, when downloading, in the hidden books list in settings, in collections, in the library, in all kinds of search results across the entire library, i.e. literally everywhere, and this will be an increasing problem for most users and into the future, anyway the average or typical size of a library is likely to increase over the years in numbers rather than decrease. Additionally on a minor note, it sometimes makes for more work when wanting to do license-transfers or merging of two accounts one of them created accidentally. Also when I get married and wanting to share computer with wife, there's so much content on my account that I've actually started another account a while back, but have felt disparaged since last year since I really don't know whether there's any point adding a base-package to that spare account, especially a non-used base-package is questionable. I mean - if she doesn't explicitly demand me to configure an optimal setup it's up to me to see to that there are worthwhile books and only pay for the features that are of frequent use, as she may pose more difficult questions to me (for me to find out the answer using my account) instead of asking her own installation the question by trying a search. The option for me is too see what the quality-level of the L7 base-packages is, and buy one used a couple of years or a few years from now, for the spare account, therefore the configuration and value of the features in lower base-packages is too of some interest. Although I don't suggest Logos should take the route of introducing multiple high-power datasets/features on the Bronze-level. If You want to know specifics of what kind of resources I deem needless, You could look up a thread I made on the Accordance General forum, about Orig. Lang. and Bible Study Collections.
Since February 2016 I have a third software too, which is much easier to use (no, not e-Sword, TheWord, and this ones's not OT). When I get married, what software my wife will use can't be predicted right now, but I'm ready and will see to which one I can add what she asks for and which one is the best option for adding what I think she should have. This because I have a sincere wish that I'll spark more interest in her to use a software, read, and not be satisfied with simplistic answers to questions where a dive into some quality resources would be beneficial for her and so that she would be able to discuss with me and understand when I start to explain answers further. So, at several levels there's some demand for resources that don't just anaesthetize conscience. Skipping the most difficult questions or verses that really demand something to look into, is OK though, regarding those ones, having faith is what's important.
A low-end base-package is not expected to deliver the seminary-level research from the past three years, but as much as that's not a need, to the same degree there's no need for for example severely dated word studies or the Strong's Greek lexicon.
Thanks! I appreciate any consideration!:

Eli Evans:
As it happens, I just started a high-level design and functionality audit of Logos user documents. Documents do indeed deliver a large chunk of the overall value of the software, [...].

Since this is a "Logos 7 suggestions" thread, I should point out that it's the usual pattern for us (the whole software industry, really) to concentrate new features in major releases (7.0) and to address polish/rework items in the minor releases that follow (7.1, 7.2, and beyond). I can neither confirm nor deny that we will probably most likely as far as I know follow the usual pattern this time, too. Wink 

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Page 3 of 6 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS