Hebrew (morph? syntax?) search question

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 3 2016 6:04 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to construct a Hebrew search that will find all pairs of Hebrew words that meet certain criteria.

1. Both are nouns with different lexemes

2. right next to each other

3. one in construct, one absolute, and

4. Here's the kicker -- they appear meeting the above 3 conditions anywhere else in the OT with the lexemes reversed.    

SO, I'm looking for instances similar to Gen 1:11 (עֵ֣ץ פְּרִ֞י) and Gen 1:29 ( פְרִי־עֵ֖ץ), or Isa 57:15  שְׁפַל־ר֔וּחַ and ר֣וּחַ שְׁפָלִ֔ים.  The real motivation for my search is to find things like "deceit of lips" and "lips of deceit" that would be synonymous but in reverse-construct order. This may be tricky as it may need to use search results from one search in order to search the rest of the OT.  Any insight anyone has is appreciated!

Mike

Posts 23349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 12:40 AM

Hi Mike

Sorry - I've been thinking about this but can't think of any way to do it

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 11:35 AM

Mike Hogue:

I'm trying to construct a Hebrew search that will find all pairs of Hebrew words that meet certain criteria.

1. Both are nouns with different lexemes

2. right next to each other

3. one in construct, one absolute, and

4. Here's the kicker -- they appear meeting the above 3 conditions anywhere else in the OT with the lexemes reversed.  

Syntax Search of OT took 1,069.29 sec (~18 minutes) to find 176 passages:

Saving Syntax Search results into a Passage List took many minutes (as does trying to scroll Syntax Search results).

Can refine Syntax Search by adding Noun Semantics: e.g. Vegetation

FYI: removing English parallel improved Syntax Search scrolling in 6.11 Beta 4.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 4:52 PM

Mike Hogue:
SO, I'm looking for instances similar to Gen 1:11 (עֵ֣ץ פְּרִ֞י) and Gen 1:29 ( פְרִי־עֵ֖ץ), or Isa 57:15  שְׁפַל־ר֔וּחַ and ר֣וּחַ שְׁפָלִ֔ים.

First usage in Isaiah 57:15 has Spatial semantic in Noun phrase (from "low" tagging):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2016 5:38 AM

Thanks Keep Smiling!  I haven't had the time to run this yet but I appreciate you working on it.  So for the syntax search, "anything" will transcend book divisions?

18 minutes may set a record for a search time...

Mike

Posts 25879
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2016 6:04 PM

Mike Hogue:
So for the syntax search, "anything" will transcend book divisions?

It means any word, phrase, clause, etc can be there - default is that it "occurs at least once" (press that option to see other possibilities). "Anything" can transcend verse, chapter and book divisions.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 13 2016 11:15 AM

Mike Hogue:
The real motivation for my search is to find things like "deceit of lips" and "lips of deceit" that would be synonymous but in reverse-construct order. This may be tricky as it may need to use search results from one search in order to search the rest of the OT.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but this simple search may deliver what you are looking for. 

For some reason, agreement rules do not work across the two clauses in this query so you have to hard code the lemma in for each segment. Hope this helps.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS