How to Set Up a Collection: Bible Surveys

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 69
Bill Carroll | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 6 2016 1:16 PM

Does anyone know how to set up a Collection of Bible Surveys?  Bible Surveys are listed as a specific "type" and while I can do "title:survey", I know there are many that don't have "survey" in their titles.  Does anyone know a way to set up a collection without having to scroll through every title of my library?  

So far, the only solution I can think of is "title:survey" and then manually add them one by one as I find them.

I'm hoping someone knows a better, faster way than that.

Posts 23210
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2016 1:40 PM

Bill Carroll:
Bible Surveys are listed as a specific "type"

What do you mean by this? With which "type" are they listed?

Have you tried using the rule "type:surveytype" (where surveytype is the type you are seeing)?

Posts 634
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2016 1:47 PM

Bill Carroll:

Does anyone know how to set up a Collection of Bible Surveys?  Bible Surveys are listed as a specific "type" and while I can do "title:survey", I know there are many that don't have "survey" in their titles.  Does anyone know a way to set up a collection without having to scroll through every title of my library?  

So far, the only solution I can think of is "title:survey" and then manually add them one by one as I find them.

This is the collection rule that I have used for quite some time...not sure if I copied it from someone else (most likely) or made it up myself (least probably). Anyway, it identifies surveys and several other resources that do the work of surveys.

title:"survey of the old testament" OR title:"survey of the new testament" OR subject:"Bible--handbooks" OR subject:"Bible--Introductions" OR subject:"Bible--N.T.--Introductions" OR subject:"Bible--O.T.--Introductions" -subject:theology -subject:"Bible-Study" -subject:"Bible--Reading" -subject:critique -subject:bibliography

There are also a list of collections and rules in the Faithlife Groups page for collections here. https://faithlife.com/commentary-types/documents 

Posts 9276
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2016 2:07 PM

Bill Carroll:

This is one of those situations where dynamic collections aren't too useful (see the complicated example the other Bill gave you). And I wonder if you really need one? I have about a dozen resources I've put in a collection like you are thinking of creating. I rarely ever buy a resource of this nature. When I do I don't really need a dynamic collection to take care of it. I can manually add it once it downloads.

If you don't want to scroll through your whole Library looking for what you want in the collection, try Bill's approach. But how will you know if you've missed something without scrolling through? So if you are going to do that, form it manually is my thought.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2016 3:26 PM

Bill Carroll:

Suggest filtering library "survey" followed by tagging resources.

Found several survey resources that do not have the word survey in their title.

Collection rule could be:

MyTag:Survey OR (Title:(Exploring,Introduction,Survey) AND Title:(Gospel,New,Old)) OR (Subj:Bible AND Subj:(Handbook,Introductions)) -Subj:(Commentaries,Grammar,Textual,Theology)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2016 8:16 AM

Here is the rule I use for Bible Introductions and Background collection, which gave nearly 100 hits and gets most of the surveys in my collection: 

(((subject:introduc) OR (subject:Bible AND subject:handbook ANDNOT title:"study bible") OR (title:survey ANDNOT subject:theolog) OR (title:introduction ANDNOT type:bible-commentary) OR (title:overview)) ANDNOT type:grammar ANDNOT subject:greek OR (subject:outline AND bible) ANDNOT (subject:sermon OR commentaries)) ANDNOT publisher:Perseus 

I intentionally ruled out Study Bibles. I created this a very long time ago, with much input from the forums. I don't know if I could do it again <grin> 

Posts 69
Bill Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2016 12:13 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Those were very helpful collection rules to consider.  I have implemented some of those ideas and they have greatly improved my collection base. Wink

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS