The feature to either delete or edit one's post in the Forum

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2830
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 19 2009 8:54 AM

After sometime has gone by the "more option" on your right ("more") does not allow one to edit or delete. In the Newsgroup one can delete or cancel one's messages, i would like  to see such a feature in the forum. Again let me repeat, it is possible to delete or edit one's post initially via "more" however after a period of time this is no longer the case.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 10:28 AM

Ted Hans:

After sometime has gone by the "more option" on your right ("more") does not allow one to edit or delete. In the Newsgroup one can delete or cancel one's messages, i would like  to see such a feature in the forum. Again let me repeat, it is possible to delete or edit one's post initially via "more" however after a period of time this is no longer the case.

Ted

As Bohuslav (Love that name -- it's a good Slavic name) noted in another thread, in the meantime someone may have commented on it (probably has).  I would say that so long as no one has commented you should be able to edit or delete it.  Once someone has commented, however, that's it.  No more modification.  If you edit or delete after someone has commented you kind of leave them standing there looking foolish.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2830
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 12:29 PM

George Somsel:
As Bohuslav (Love that name -- it's a good Slavic name) noted in another thread, in the meantime someone may have commented on it (probably has).  I would say that so long as no one has commented you should be able to edit or delete it.  Once someone has commented, however, that's it.  No more modification.  If you edit or delete after someone has commented you kind of leave them standing there looking foolish.

Hi George,

I agree wholeheartedly with you, you are right. I wished i had put in those caveat you mentioned. As long as someone has not commented or responded to one's post then fair enough.

Ted  

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 10:23 AM

Ted Hans:

Ted

I can't agree more. I'd like to be able to edit or delete my posts!

Since people can quote a post, and since there doesn't appear to be any heirarchy to the post, it may not matter if I delete a post that someone has commented about, though I'm not too worried about deleting as much as re-editing.

BTW, I don't understand why each post has a reply button when the posts are not presented with any structure. All new posts go to the bottom of the list and aren't visually linked to the parent post. Perhaps that's just the easiest way of implementing the system, but I find it a bit confusing.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:01 AM

JimMcDaniel:
BTW, I don't understand why each post has a reply button when the posts are not presented with any structure. All new posts go to the bottom of the list and aren't visually linked to the parent post. Perhaps that's just the easiest way of implementing the system, but I find it a bit confusing.

If you note there is a notation which says "replied" at the top of the post.  While it is a rather clunky way to do it, you can go to the post to which a person is replying and in this way follow the thread back to its origin (If a thread bifurcates by having multiple replies to one post and each reply is then replied one doesn't follow the separate strands of the thread as one would be able to do in a news group).  This is not the best, but, unless the system is changed, it  is all we can now do.  Thanks to Joe Miller for pointing this out.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 2:27 PM

I just re-read Ted's post which mentioned the MORE button and found that I can edit my posts. I think I had peeked under that rock at someone else's post and didn't think to try it at my own.

George, I found the "replied" link you are talking about. Thanks for that help. You're right it's clunky, but better than nothing.

-Have a great day, Jim

Have a great day,
jmac

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS