Does Anyone Find This A Little Disturbing?

Page 4 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 70 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 7:04 AM

SineNomine:

Few of the regular posters in the forums, and almost none of the people who visit the forums, consider themselves able to and feel comfortable acting on Rule #6. Those of us who are willing and able to act on Rule #6 almost without exception would prefer not to do so in the instances when this may cause conflict, and we may delay in the hope that someone else will act on Rule #6 instead.

I, for one, appreciate when MJ (and others) act on Rule #6 in situations when it's called for because that usually means that I can stay entirely out of potentially and actually acrimonious threads and do more pleasant things instead, ones that are less likely to get established forumers upset with me (again). 

Rule # 6 is not the most important thing among the rules nor is it in this forum. “Let’s keep the main thing, the main thing.” The rules are to serve as a fence, not as a box or a prison. When you focus so much on the problem, all you would have is the problem.

Why is it that the majority of the Christians can’t govern themselves on this forum and have the greater influence? Let’s not put that task or burden on MJ or anyone else, even if s/he wants to do it. Don’t be like many USA Governmental Officials, declare war, but don’t send their sons and daughters to fight in it. Or they want to lock up large number of criminals, but don’t want the prison down from their community. Further shame, is that they don’t want to pay for it with increased taxes.

Allow people to be, and you, be what you are. Remember the saying, “birds of a feather, flocks together.” Unkind people don’t and won’t hang out with Christians very long. However, long they do, just be kind to them.

When it’s all said and done, let’s consider seriously what Melancthon said:  "In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty.  In all things, charity."  C M

Posts 3141
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 7:22 AM

Charles McNeil:
Rule # 6 is not the most important thing among the rules nor is it in this forum.

That is a straw man. Neither I, nor MJ, nor anyone else have said that it is.

Charles McNeil:
When you focus so much on the problem, all you would have is the problem.

Neither MJ, nor I, focus on the problem, never mind "so much". That is also a straw man.

Charles McNeil:
Why is it that the majority of the Christians can’t govern themselves on this forum and have the greater influence?

The majority of the Christians on this forum do govern themselves. That is why Rule #6 does not need to be acted on (by anybody) in most threads. As to why a disruptive minority can exercise an out-sized influence on the life of a community, you will have to consult the social sciences. That disruptive minorities can do this in all communities is well borne out by history and current events around the world. That disruptive minorities can do so in this forum is borne out by the history of this forum.

Charles McNeil:
Let’s not put that task or burden on MJ or anyone else, even if s/he wants to do it.

As advice to everyone, if you want to lessen the workload of MJ and others who act on Rule #6, there are two things that you can do: avoid violating Rules #1-5, and act on Rule #6.

Charles McNeil:
Unkind people don’t and won’t hang out with Christians very long. However, long they do, just be kind to them.

There have been and still are many unkind Christians, as well as Christians who, though generally kind, sometimes lose their tempers and at other times make imprudent decisions. Rule #6 exists so that the disruptive effects of such failings will be minimized. As MJ has noted a number of times, and I myself am witness to, over the years a good number of kind posters in the forums have either left them entirely or largely refrained from posting (and even reading) due to the very things that Rule #6 exists to minimize.

Charles McNeil:
When it’s all said and done, let’s consider seriously what Melancthon said:  "In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty.  In all things, charity."  C M

Hence Rule #6. Smile

Posts 6575
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 7:33 AM

Doesn't anybody find it distubing that this thread is still going? 😂😜😇

Posts 10596
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:47 AM

DAL:

And even more disturbing is the fact that you and I are still reading it Stick out tongue

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 11:00 AM

Jack Caviness:

DAL:

And even more disturbing is the fact that you and I are still reading it Stick out tongue

And even more disturbing that you guys are still posting in it Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 11:51 AM

Charles McNeil:
Don’t be like many USA Governmental Officials, declare war, but don’t send their sons and daughters to fight in it. Or they want to lock up large number of criminals, but don’t want the prison down from their community. Further shame, is that they don’t want to pay for it with increased taxes.

Where did that come from? FYI: It violates rules #1 & #2.

I could go on all day about governmental abuse, presidential candidates, minimum wage, and trans-gender bathrooms. But these forums are NOT the place for that.

Thank you kindly, Charles, for not going there.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6575
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 12:23 PM

Jack Caviness:

DAL:

You are right and so is James 😂😆😜

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 12:32 PM

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/6836.aspx?PageIndex=1 

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 12:15 AM

SineNomine:
Charles McNeil:

Despite some misunderstandings, the seemingly fear of change, and the cry to end this thread, I agree it needs to be put to bed. Much have been “said”, and I am “done.”  I will see you on another topic in a different thread. CM

Posts 176
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 12:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
Yes, this is the paragraph I was paraphrasing in a satirical manner.

Wow.  That's an interesting way to justify a straw man argument, by calling it "satire." 

Perhaps you would see it as similar "satire" someone said of you, "MJ says she and the Pope are the only people in the world who stand up for the plight of the underdog..."

My guess is, you would see that as an unfair mis-characterization of what you said.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 1:01 PM

No.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Page 4 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS