Logos 6 Mac Slow Software

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7
Ron Riley | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:21 AM

Why does the program run so slow.  I have a the starter collection, so a relatively small amount of resources but if I have the passage guide open and try to switch my primary reference in my ESV I get the spinning beach ball and have to wait about a minute for the program to do something in the background before I can see the new reference and various helps.  Layout has ESV as primary Bible, Passage Guide, and Faithlife Study Bible.

Any ideas how to speed this up?  Can you disable background syncing or whatever it is doing that slows it down?

iMac; with El Capitan 10.11.4 Intel Core i5;  2.7 GHz; 16 GB

Posts 24535
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:29 AM

Hi Ron - and welcome to the forums.

To try and understand what is causing these delays we may need to see logs. 

But I wonder if there is anything about the layout you are using. Do you get the same delays if all you have open is the ESV and try to change the reference there?

Graham

Posts 7
Ron Riley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:48 AM

works well with only esv open

Posts 304
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:57 AM

Can you please download the Logging Utility found here and click the "Sample" button while the application is not responding. Once it is done collecting the sample, please upload the logs here so we can see what the application is doing during that time.

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 7
Posts 7

Here are the results

Posts 1
Dennis J. Conner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 3:40 AM

So the answer to keeping Logos from bogging my machine down is to NOT use it to it's capacity? Don't use all the functionality we pay for? 

Posts 24535
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 5:16 AM

Dennis J. Conner:

So the answer to keeping Logos from bogging my machine down is to NOT use it to it's capacity? Don't use all the functionality we pay for? 

Hi Dennis - and welcome to the forums.

But I don't understand your comment. What we are trying to do in this thread is work out why things are slow so it can be addressed.

Do you have an issue with Logos performance? If so, please start a new thread providing as many details as possible.

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 12:59 PM

Ron Riley:

Layout has ESV as primary Bible, Passage Guide, and Faithlife Study Bible.

Any ideas how to speed this up?  Can you disable background syncing or whatever it is doing that slows it down?

What sections are open in Passage Guide ?  Default Logos 6 Now Passage Guide has 31 sections; personally have closed them for faster opening/changing of Bible reference:

Clicking triangle for Illustrations took over 10 seconds before results appeared.  Biblical People took 20+ seconds.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 1:09 PM

Dennis J. Conner:

+1 Welcome Big Smile

Please elaborate what is slow to allow others to replicate; ideally in a new post.  Thankful for many Logos performance improvements.

Concur efficiently using Logos means NOT using many things simultaneously while knowing how to quickly open/search item(s) relevant for your study.  Logos wiki has => Getting Started with Logos with many Tips that are usable in Logos 6: e.g. 

Look at Passage and Exegetical Guide sections for your bible study – can customize Passage and Exegetical Guides. By default, Passage Guide includes several sections that retrieve information from internet.

Tip: Change Text Comparison link set from A to Follow for smoother scrolling in Bible. Optionally close Text Comparison since can highlight Bible verse(s) in Logos and press F7 for pop-up Text Comparison of Top 5 Bibles. On Mac, if “Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard keys” in Keyboard preferences is unchecked, then (fn) key needs to be pressed with F7.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ron Riley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 9:11 AM

I closed everything that didn't seem useful especially the outside links to other web resources like sermons etc.  I saved the layout, but each time I load a new passage those resources open back up again.  Strange behavior.  Still, that has been the best way to speed things up so far.  I have much better results using my wife macbook pro that has a faster processor, but I don't have access to it at work :-(  I'll keep playing with it.  There certainly does seem to be some sort of bug some of the time though because the program just sits there for a very long time.  Hopefully they see something in the logs I uploaded.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 12:23 PM

Ron Riley:
I saved the layout, but each time I load a new passage those resources open back up again.  Strange behavior.

Puzzling so wonder how new passage is being opened ?

FYI: personally have learned to click triangle in Guide section to "close" so next use has section closed.

One option is creating "My Passage Guide" and "My Exegetical Guide" with desired sections => https://wiki.logos.com/Customizing_the_Passage_and_Exegetical_Guides

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ron Riley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2016 7:50 PM

Did you see the logs?  Any idea what the issue might have been?

Posts 3406
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2016 11:21 AM
Ron Riley:

Did you see the logs?  Any idea what the issue might have been?

Hi Ron,

Thank you for uploading your logs, our team did see them, but they indicated the software was working. New logs are created each time you restart the app, and we need the logs from the session with the problem. Did you close Logos and get the logs from that session before you restarted the app? If not could you do that and upload the logs?

There is a bit more info that would be helpful to start out with.

• Do things seem to improve when you are working offline?
  • Are you opening the default layout or is this is a custom layout? If you could provide a screenshot of your layout.
  • Are there any visual filters turned on?
  • What length of passage are you using? If it's a very long passage that will slow things down.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2016 10:10 PM

Hello Ron

No one else has talked about this so I will.

I stead of using the default passage guide, look at this training video about making a custom guide https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/custom-guide-templates by making a custom passage guide you can limit it to only load the tabs that you want to see and speed up time the guide takes to load at the same time. 

After you make your new guide and save it as MPG ( My Passage Guide ) on your layout you will no longer need to close unwanted tabs for parts of the guide.

There are also many other useful training videos here https://www.logos.com/logos-pro just check the page to see what topic you want to learn about.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS