L4 Users group for South Eastern VA. . .

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:18 AM

Inspired by our good neighbors to the south, I was wondering if there is any interest in a L4 users group for the Hampton Roads or Richmond area?  Since I split the middle, I would be willing to drive to either place.

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 48
GS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:58 AM

+1 from Smithfield, VA! Yes

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 4:42 PM

Count me in if the meeting day does not conflict with my teaching at Bible College.  I live in Virginia Beach.

Posts 40
Joe Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 7:59 PM

Clarksville Va.  I'll sure try to make it

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:53 AM

I'm just outside Petersburg ... Not to raise hopes or anythingStick out tongue, but there might be a slim chance that I can host it where I teach if the crowd is not too overwhelming. I can handle up to 15 in my classroom easily. I'm already overwhelmed with my teaching schedule so something like this would be a form of relaxation! Not to mention that I could invite selected students to see all of us go "wow! golly! gee whiz!" heheheh.....

It would be on the only Saturday that I'm free on whichever month we decide to meet. {{{gasp! don't folks know that Saturdays are for sleeping!!}}}Wink The church on 460W loans me a room, so they'd have to approve the meet. And there's wireless Internet, too. And I can plug into a digital projector if needed. Up the road at Southpark Mall there're plenty of eateries. Let's discuss.

Use the first letter of the following for my offline address: Mike Sierra Bravo Tango at Sierra Oscar Tango Lima dot Oscar Romeo Golf.

BTW: Just because I "might" host it doesn't mean that I'll direct the meeting. You guys can figure out how to do that.

God bless

{charley}.

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:12 AM

Sir,

See some military background here.   

Posts 59
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:52 PM

I am interested.  "C.G." Miller in Virginia Beach.  I might be able to host at my church.  My apologetics group meets on alternating Saturday nights. We are a little old fashion but we plan to buy a couple of projectors soon. I believe we have one availlable now. I would be willing to drive but Richmond is a little far unless we planned a long meeting less often like 4 hours on one Saturday a month. I am a long time user but not an especially technical one. 

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2010 5:33 PM

I will be waiting until Monday, than consolidate a list and see what is the most convenient for the common good - possibly work out a rotation schedule as well. .  .

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:47 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to everyone yesterday, I am on leave to take care of my sick daughter (blessings of shore duty, LOL) from the looks of it, we are mostly centered around the Hampton Roads area.  Would you all be opposed to rotating it around, once in the Hampton/Newport News/Williamsburg area, once in VA Beach, and once in the Petersburg/Richmond area?  I was thinking maybe Saturdays, perhaps around 11ish and see how long works out best? 

Has anyone attended the MP seminars?  Or have the Logos 4 guide books?  I am trying to think of how to get a curriculum.  Worse case scenario would be to use the great videos together, and discuss ways for improved use.

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:21 PM

David A. Peterson:

Would you all be opposed to rotating it around, once in the Hampton/Newport News/Williamsburg area, once in VA Beach, and once in the Petersburg/Richmond area?  I was thinking maybe Saturdays, perhaps around 11ish and see how long works out best? 

Has anyone attended the MP seminars?  Or have the Logos 4 guide books?  I am trying to think of how to get a curriculum.  Worse case scenario would be to use the great videos together, and discuss ways for improved use.

I'm a couple of hours from Virginia Beach straight up 460; 85 minutes from Williamsburg coming down 60 then left at the blinking yellow lights on 106 to come up behind Hopewell; 90 minutes from Clarksville via 85 then crossover to 460; 70 minutes flying low from Smithfield on 460. (Don: yep -- 20years USN Big Smile I see that David used the term "shore duty" so we know instantly his branch!). 11-ish sounds great. I'd have to figure out which 1 or 2 Saturdays I'm "free" and post the list here. The alternating plan sound great, too, as then the stress won't be on the same person all the time. I've attended both L3 and L4 seminars and have the guide books, too. All of us can plan a curriculum at our first couple or so meetings and go from there. I'm sure Don Mc. and I could astound everyone with our great wisdom and experience at doing the same in our normal calling. Cool Truth be told I'd like a chance to swap stories with Don!

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:55 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
yep -- 20years USN

I knew there was something good about you! Also 20 years USN. My son has 27 years so far (NC spy listening in on VA discussion).

Posts 59
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 8:56 PM

I have the MP Guide books for V4 but have not attended the Seminars.

Because of the travel time I suggest longer meetings less often.  Saturday is fine with me.  I do need to be back to VA Beach be 6PM.  I moderate a discussion group with a mix of Christians and non-Christians on some Saturdays. We meet from 6 to midnight. An earlier start would be OK with me.

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:20 PM

All,

My main classroom at Tidewater Bible COllege (TBC) is totally media enabled and I have wireless capabilities.  We can project the L4 images onto a white board.  I would be honored to hold any meetings at the school on appropriate Saturdays.  I also have the video DVD somewhere in my office for L4.  One totpic that I personally would like to discuss is use of L4 in the classroom and how to use it for research purposes.  My students love the application, but I want to take the use to a new and deeper level.

Retired Navy and I have plenty of sea stories as well.  Only issue I have is I am supposed to leave on 1 April and not return until 13 April.  How about having the first meeting on 17 April at 1100 at TBC.

Posts 59
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:43 PM

I will try to make it.  My wife will be recovering from Surgery. I assume instructions will be forthcoming.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:28 PM

Donald McNeeley:
on 17 April at 1100

I'm out. That is the weekend of our state wide children's convention.  The following weekend would be fine,

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 7:42 AM

Donald McNeeley:

How about having the first meeting on 17 April at 1100 at TBC.

No matter what we do, someone always has an activity on a date that is convenient to many. Big Smile I'm only available on April 3,17; May 15,29; June 12,26; July 3,17; August 14,28; September 11,25. And one of those will be grabbed up soon, and will trump the 17th if necessary.

So, it looks like that, right now, I can pull myself together to come down to play! I did a quick search for your host and wound up in Ohio...heh. If we're all coming to play at your house, we'll need a street address, please. It'd be a tight squeeze for all of us to fit in that post box.Wink

On 1 May I'm off to a conference that will actually address the use of L4 in the classroom. Don, you should have received the same invitation?

God bless

{charley}

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:34 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
No matter what we do, someone always has an activity on a date

I agree, I see a trend with you dates as being the weekend around the 15th of each month.  If we are interested in starting this up monthly, how would the weekend around the 15th each month sound - at least through September 11th?  I would be able to make it the weekend of May 15th, June 12th, July 17th, and August 14th as it stands.  I would only miss the first meeting, so any really good sea stories would need to be repeated for my benefit :)

In Christ,

Dave

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:58 AM

David A. Peterson:

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
No matter what we do, someone always has an activity on a date

I agree, I see a trend with you dates as being the weekend around the 15th of each month.  If we are interested in starting this up monthly, how would the weekend around the 15th each month sound - at least through September 11th?  I would be able to make it the weekend of May 15th, June 12th, July 17th, and August 14th as it stands.  I would only miss the first meeting, so any really good sea stories would need to be repeated for my benefit :)

Those particular weekends might work for me. I've a class of folks who meet irregularly so I know I'd miss one of those dates. All this depends, though, on the others reading this whether this idea may work for them.

Sea stories are like the waves upon the sand --- forgotten when they were uttered. heheheh.....

God bless

{charley}

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:36 PM

Some of my faculty and staff will be attending the event in Charlotte.  Looking forwrd to the event.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:44 PM

Donald McNeeley:

Some of my faculty and staff will be attending the event in Charlotte.  Looking forwrd to the event.

Most excellent! Looking forward to this event with great expectations.

God bless

{charley}

[edit] Are we coming to your "house" to play in April?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS