Catechism of the Catholic Church

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 2:52 AM

Well, so far Louis has not chimed in, but hopefully he will. I heard back for the sales rep I bought Verbum Bronze from. His response in part was:

"I went to my manager to find out about this for you. The Catholic Church controls what we can put into a Verbum library. They only allowed us to include the international version of the Catechism and not the US one."

He indicated he could not give me the US version for free even though I already own the international version. I was sorry to hear that, as there was nothing on the product page clearly stating I would not be receiving the US version with my purchase.

Posts 1554
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 3:13 AM

Matthew:
The Catholic Church controls what we can put into a Verbum library.

Any Logos/Verbum users in Vatican? They could inform the pope about this? I  assume if the current pope knew about this situation he would tell them to fix this quickly?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 3:44 AM

Matthew:
He indicated he could not give me the US version for free even though I already own the international version. I was sorry to hear that, as there was nothing on the product page clearly stating I would not be receiving the US version with my purchase.

I think there has been some confusion here in what you have been told in other threads. As far as I can work out:

• Verbum 6 included the US Catechism for North American customers, and nothing for everyone else (the "international edition").
  • Verbum 7 does not include the US Catechism for any customers, but includes a generic catechism (no glossary and index) for everyone.

So if you have Verbum 7 Bronze, you should have the generic catechism, not the US one.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 4:51 AM

Veli Voipio:

They could inform the pope about this? I  assume if the current pope knew about this situation he would tell them to fix this quickly?

Martin? Martin Luther? Is that you? Cool

Posts 985
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:30 AM

Mark is right, Matthew, there is some confusion. The apparent response seems like it may have been garbled up in conversation at FL or at least poorly worded in their reply to you.  I would only be speculating why FL chose to put only the international version in the Verbum base packages as Mark points out.  Perhaps to simplify pricing and versions.

The CCC, both US and International versions, are available free on-line at the Vatican website and also the USCCB website.  The US edition on-line has the Glossary and Analytical Index as well.

Keep in mind that the content of the CCC is identical in both.  It's only the Glossary and Analytical Index that is added on by the UCSSB.  That's where the copyright issues come into play.  That is their unique content.

While we wait for Louis to reply, you could consider a couple of other things:

- potentially purchase the US edition for the Glossary and Analytical Index (I linked to that previously)

- Use the Glossary and Analytical Index free from the USCCB website for those times you need that information

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 9:25 AM

As others have stated, the only difference between the two versions of the CCC is that the U.S. edition includes the Analytical Index and Glossary (and can't be sold overseas).

We decided to only include the generic edition without the U.S.-specific sections in the base packages for the sake of simplicity. Maintaining two versions of the base packages required a bunch of cumbersome overhead.

We've kept the U.S. edition available for customers who are interested in the glossary and index. We'll look at making the generic edition available outside the base packages (e.g., in the Catechism collection and/or individually). There's no rights-related reason we haven't done so, we just haven't gotten to it (and we want to minimize the confusion there, too, if we can).

Unlike the two versions of the Early Church Fathers, which is in the public domain, we pay royalties on both editions of the CCC (to two different rightsholders), so, unfortunately, we can't just give the other edition away to people that own one of them, even though they are nearly identical.

Matthew:
(2) will links from other resources that point to the CCC work with both versions or only with the one that has been in Logos the longest? 

Links to the CCC work with both editions.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 9:44 AM

Louis, thank you  (and others) for the clarification. What was said about royalties makes sense, and is a key difference between this resource and the public domain Church Fathers set I referenced earlier in this thread. However, I still feel somewhat let down that I thought I was buying one version with the base package, wound up with a less complete version, and will have to buy what is largely a duplicate resource to get the missing index and glossary that I thought I had bought in the first place. Perhaps a disclaimer on the base package page would make this more clear to future buyers so they don't make the same (wrong) assumption I did.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS