Not all resources for The Precious and Sacred Writings of Martin Luther were downloaded?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 22 2016 6:37 PM

My download of The Precious and Sacred Writings of Martin Luther came down tonight and instead of getting 14 resources I got 11. I checked my library and the three missing volumes were not there either, I did a restart and Update Resources with no luck. Has anyone gotten all 14? I am missing these 3:

Luther’s Large Catechism: God’s Call to Repentance, Faith, and Prayer
Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings
Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 4:17 AM

Don Awalt:
instead of getting 14 resources I got 11

Likewise.

In addition, Luther’s Commentary on the First Twenty-Two Psalms only goes as far are Psalm 8:2. (It was supposed to be "This verse-by-verse commentary contains Luther’s detailed notes on the first 22 Psalms.")

Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:00 AM

Don Awalt:

My download of The Precious and Sacred Writings of Martin Luther came down tonight and instead of getting 14 resources I got 11. I checked my library and the three missing volumes were not there either, I did a restart and Update Resources with no luck. Has anyone gotten all 14? I am missing these 3:

Luther’s Large Catechism: God’s Call to Repentance, Faith, and Prayer
Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings
Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles

Don, 

I think maybe the 14 vols were made into an eleven book bundle even by the pulisher of the edition logos reproduced. At least, if you look into the sample pages from the printed books (checked the first one each of "Luther's large Catechism" and "Luther's Two Catechisms") they show page numbers where you will find the respective content in the book "Luther's Catechetical writings" which has 300+ pages in the logois edition, not only 180 like on the product page.     

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:23 AM

Thanks Mick, I am not sure...I look on Amazon and the Luther's Catechetical Writings is 388 pages. That said, I did see the Large Catechism in that book, but I can't find a TOC to see if it is usually there anyway. But I have not found Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings or Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles in any of the books that have downloaded.

Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:50 AM

Allen Browne:
In addition, Luther’s Commentary on the First Twenty-Two Psalms only goes as far are Psalm 8:2. (It was supposed to be "This verse-by-verse commentary contains Luther’s detailed notes on the first 22 Psalms.")

It seems that the book Logos introduced into the collection is only Vol 1 of Luther's Commentary on the first 22 psalms - the version on archive org contains the same text and number of pages we just received, i.e. ends with "enemy and avenger'. " on page 446. This is a 1903 printing.

However, it seems that the commentary was complete until Ps 22 in two volumes in 1826 and EDIT the 1903 publishers sliced that differently into probably three books - if they ever got around producing all of them. I think something got wrong with the scan or the print/binding of the scanned book of the 1903 version - who would break a commentary in the midst of the psalm? Anyway the forewords and intros in subsequent books of the series don't let me believe this was abandonded. Nevertheless, the text exists, since /EDIT The Vol 1 from 1826 goes until Ps 11. and Vol 2 of this series I saw has the rest of it plus a separate commentary on Ps 2. This seems to be basically the same translation that was republished in 1903.

That means, the product description offers something we didn't get yet - probably the Faithlife team is unaware of that.

Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 6:44 AM

Don Awalt:
I have not found Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings

The sample pages associated with that show page numbers 190-196 and are contained in Luther's Catechetical Writings exactly there, under the heading "The Law, Faith and Prayer"  It seems to be that the publisher once issued that book as a standalone work, but a part of Luther's Catechetical Writings - see https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.ah3hwl;view=1up;seq=7 

Don Awalt:
or Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles

this we may still be missing

EDIT: yes, we are missing this. It is No. I of the subseries of Church Postil Sermons on NT Epistles: Advent & Christmas (being No. 7 of the overall series) 

Even worse, Logos splitting up the one book on Catechetical Writing into three made them not only lose out on the second volume of the psalms commentary (can't believe it was an intentional break at 8:2) but they overlooked #14 of the series completely, the fifth part of the subseries on Church Postil Sermons on the Gospels: 13-26th Sunday after Trinity   

currently I see this as follows

EDIT 2: cross-posted in Lutheran products forum: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/125569.aspx  

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 9:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm very sorry that there have been some problems with this collection. I'll investigate each problem that has been reported and post on this thread when I figure why we're missing these large chunks of material. Thanks for your patience!

Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:54 AM

Thanks Matthew for investigating into it!

Looking forward to see this resolved.

Posts 245
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 2:17 PM

It is quite a relief to stumble on this thread.

I had thought may be my computer had a local problem with the download.

I now see that am not the only one who did not receive the complete resources as advertised.

Thanks in advance for a quick fix.

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 4:48 PM

Matthew Miller:
... I'll investigate each problem that has been reported and post on this thread ...

Thank you, Matthew. Appreciated.

Posts 2159
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 6:49 PM

Matthew Miller:

I'm very sorry that there have been some problems with this collection. I'll investigate each problem that has been reported and post on this thread when I figure why we're missing these large chunks of material. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks Matthew

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:14 AM

Hi Matthew, is there any news on the missing resources? Thanks for checking into this.

Don

Posts 1489
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 11:36 AM

Don--

Luther’s Catechetical Writings: God’s Call to Repentance and FaithLuther’s Large Catechism: God’s Call to Repentance, Faith, and Prayer, and Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings were combined into a single resource: Luther’s Catechetical Writings (LUTCATECHETWRIT)

Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles was packaged with Luther’s Church Postil: Gospels Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany (LTHRSCHRCHPPHNY)
I hope that helps and I'm sorry for any confusion.
Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:29 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:
Luther’s Catechetical Writings: God’s Call to Repentance and FaithLuther’s Large Catechism: God’s Call to Repentance, Faith, and Prayer, and Luther’s Two Catechisms Explained by Himself: In Six Classic Writings were combined into a single resource: Luther’s Catechetical Writings (LUTCATECHETWRIT)

yep

Kyle G. Anderson:
Luther’s Christmas Sermons: Epistles was packaged with Luther’s Church Postil: Gospels Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany (LTHRSCHRCHPPHNY)

I don't think so. That resource only has gospel sermons, no epistles:

I think I shared an archive.org link to each of the missing resources above.

Posts 1489
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:41 PM

NB.Mick:

Kyle G. Anderson:

I don't think so. That resource only has gospel sermons, no epistles:

I think I shared an archive.org link to each of the missing resources above.

Hmm...I'll look into it.

Posts 1791
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 3:07 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Besides the fact that combining resources like this has the potential to confuse users and references, I do wish that the Catechisms themselves were tagged with the BookOfConcord datatype for ease of reference with other versions/translations.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 3:40 PM

I have updates on a couple of the problems with the Sacred and Precious Writings of Martin Luther Collection.

1. Psalms Commentary

It does not appear that Lenker ever finished publishing his edition of the Psalms commentary. I cannot find any conclusive proof that he published the second volume. A sizable amount of anecdotal evidence suggests he did not.

However, Lenker's edition was a copy of Henry Cole's work that had been published about 75 years earlier. Lenker borrowed several volumes from Cole. Cole completed his work and we have the resources we need for Luther's Commentary on the First Twenty-Two Psalms from that.

We are going to add the original Cole edition to our Sacred and Precious Writings of Martin Luther Collection with no additional cost to those who own it. We will be updating the product to reflect this, but you will not receive the Psalms commentary until production is complete.

2. Church Postil Sermons on the Gospels: 13-26th Sunday after Trinity

This volume was inadvertently missed and was, unfortunately, not included in the collection.

We're going to place this on Community Pricing for bidding and produce it separately. It will be added to the collection in our internal systems.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 4:47 PM

Thanks Matthew. Is #2 above, the Church Postil Semons on the Gospels, the one that will give us the sermons for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany?

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:18 PM

Matthew Miller:
We are going to add the original Cole edition to our Sacred and Precious Writings of Martin Luther Collection with no additional cost to those who own it. We will be updating the product to reflect this, but you will not receive the Psalms commentary until production is complete.

Thank you, Matthew. That's very good news, and I'm happy to wait until it's produced.

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 8:28 AM

Don Awalt:

Thanks Matthew. Is #2 above, the Church Postil Semons on the Gospels, the one that will give us the sermons for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany?

Don,

It is not. My colleague, Kyle, will be updating us on that item when he has a final solution.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS