Hebrew Grammar Advice

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 26 2016 10:28 AM

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a beginning hebrew grammar to walk through with a friend. The one I used in seminary is not available in Logos, which is probably a good thing as I did not like it. It is for a lay person with no previous training. There are so many available in Logos that I am not sure what would be appropriate.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 11:30 AM

Futato is extremely easy.    I once wrote that Futato was a danger to Hebrew instructors since he made them unneeded.

https://www.logos.com/product/4228/beginning-biblical-hebrew 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1983
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 1:38 PM

George Somsel:

Futato is extremely easy.    I once wrote that Futato was a danger to Hebrew instructors since he made them unneeded.

https://www.logos.com/product/4228/beginning-biblical-hebrew 

Thanks George for your opinion on this.

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 3:03 PM

Futato is very good, i would say the best introductory hebrew grammar in Logos and now has a mobile ed course. Some of the exercises in Futato are hard to do with logos highlighting but not if you use your imagination a bit. Eg. He asks you to draw lines to connect words but you could just highlight them the same colour instead. If you're using Logos then do also make use of the alphabet tutor, flashcard app, readers interlinear and discourse Hebrew Bible. All good tools. 

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:49 AM

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Michael

Posts 47

What did you not like about the grammar you used in the past? I find that all people don't have the same experience with a particular grammar. Many people learn well with BBH, for example, but occasionally someone doesn't for their own particular reasons. So if you've found another grammar unhelpful and can articulate why, even if you don't say which one it was, it can help in selecting a new one.

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.night-light.org

Lenovo Thinkpad, 8GB RAM, 1.50GB quad core processor, Win 7, Logos 6

Posts 4841
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 11:04 PM

Lately I have been reading through Page Kelley's Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar, and I have liked what I've read so far. I checked to see if it is available in Logos and I find that oddly they don't have the Grammar but they are offering the Handbook that is the supplement to the Grammar. Pretty bizarre to offer the answer guide in Logos for a book not offered in Logos.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 9:25 AM

Sarah Blake LaRose:

What did you not like about the grammar you used in the past? I find that all people don't have the same experience with a particular grammar. Many people learn well with BBH, for example, but occasionally someone doesn't for their own particular reasons. So if you've found another grammar unhelpful and can articulate why, even if you don't say which one it was, it can help in selecting a new one.

We used Davidson in the cemetery.  I didn't like it.  Now it has been revised and is in Logos (https://www.logos.com/product/3286/davidsons-introductory-hebrew-grammar).  As an introductory textbook I still don't like it, but as a supplement to better introductory grammars, it is very useful.  It explains the various formations and has lists of paradigms which display how the various forms appear.  As a supplement to another grammar, it is quite useful.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 1:13 PM

George Somsel:
We used Davidson in the cemetery.  I didn't like it.

It probably seemed inappropriate?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 1:17 PM

John Goodman:

George Somsel:
We used Davidson in the cemetery.  I didn't like it.

It probably seemed inappropriate?

"Inappropriate" is hardly the term I would use, but it didn't seem to be the easiest approach to learning the language.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 1:39 PM

Sorry George I was just trying to draw your attention to your typo/auto correct glitch? cemetery vs seminary;) Hoping to make you chuckle;)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 1:47 PM

John Goodman:

Sorry George I was just trying to draw your attention to your typo/auto correct glitch? cemetery vs seminary;) Hoping to make you chuckle;)

It wasn't a typo or an autocorrect glitch but what I frequently call it since it's where thought goes to die/

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 1:56 PM

now you've got me chuckling!

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 6:43 PM

Yes! Bitingly familiar. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2016 11:17 PM

Beginning Hebrew vowel examples:

Search non-Perseus resources:

seminary WITHIN 15 WORDS cemetery

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2016 12:51 AM

How about the Rocine: "Learning Biblical Hebrew: A New Approach Using Discourse Analysis"?

https://www.logos.com/product/3438/learning-biblical-hebrew-a-new-approach-using-discourse-analysis  

It sounds like a new approach, closer to the way we normally learn the language, or is it just a copy of the old ones with a new name?

I mean normally children learn when they hear others talking, without knowing the grammatical terminology. But they soon find out that they can make use of the language and thus they'll have high motivation.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2016 10:14 AM

Veli Voipio:

How about the Rocine: "Learning Biblical Hebrew: A New Approach Using Discourse Analysis"?

https://www.logos.com/product/3438/learning-biblical-hebrew-a-new-approach-using-discourse-analysis  

It sounds like a new approach, closer to the way we normally learn the language, or is it just a copy of the old ones with a new name?

Rocine Introduction:

Discourse Analysis Module One starts with the most common verb form used in the Hebrew Bible:

In contrast, Futato does not mention the Vav conjunction until lesson 9.  After alphabet, vowels, and syllables, Futato continues with nouns while Rocine starts with the most used verbal form.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2016 11:42 AM

Thousand thanks KS4J!

I've learnt some Hebrew 44 years ago and actually used some modern Hebrew at that time. 

Now I've relearnt quite a lot using Logos, also with the audio Bible http://www.aoal.org/hebrew_audiobible.htm  and I have Futato's grammar and even some quite difficult ones like Jouon-Muraoka. 

Currently I think I understand maybe 30% of the text without help.

But I also like to check various books and even read an introductory one, if I feel it is helpful

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS