Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 71
James Chin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:51 PM

I'm pushing Smile

Posts 7739
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 8:00 AM

I've kinda given up on it. It hasn't moved, at all for months!

Posts 4280
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 8:17 AM

I'm not a catholic but could you help me understand (and/or give me an example) why I might want this?

Posts 1764
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 9:59 AM

Mattillo:

I'm not a catholic but could you help me understand (and/or give me an example) why I might want this?

On the one hand, I do not have this in print. I have, however, used it a fair amount in various libraries and so was in on the pre-pub for a long time... The NJB study bible has good, concise notes that summarize the results of ecumenical biblical studies in a way that is understandable to non-experts. These notes are, of course, a generation old now, but they remain a decent introduction to the issues with the text in a way that does not overwhelm the biblical text.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 5316
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 1:16 PM

Mattillo https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113940.aspx will offer you a clue about what is in it. 

This is a work by catholics but it is not overly dogmatic, it is exceptionally well written and includes notes of historic and theological nature. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jerusalem_Bible

http://www.catholicbiblesblog.com/2009/02/new-jerusalem-bible-review.html

http://www.bible-researcher.com/new-jerusalem-bible.html

Please note I do disagree with his ultimate conclusion in the BR, but I thought I would give the link anyway.

In my opinion the notes are invaluable to study of the Bible and form a fine small commentary. I find the NJB in no way faith destroying and much faith affirming. Is it  a devotional study Bible that asks you if you have given yourself to Jesus no it is not. Will it help you understand what the Bible is saying yes very much so. I am in the middle of a renovation and my full edition is trapped in a box somewhere (about the only thing not boxed was my NOAB as I decided my computer Library could suffice me till the time things are done)...

The New Jerusalem Bible: Standard edition has great reviews even though the sample pages seem to be from the readers edition and has no notes. Indeed even the page count on there is off since it is about 2200 pages.

-Dan

Posts 1603
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2016 11:30 PM

About 12 ours ago I measured the line and it was 21 mm out of 40 mm.

It is still the same length, thus the push does not seem to work.

Currently the count of views is 761.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 5316
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 10:47 AM

Faithlife sometimes makes weird choices. This should be part of every Verbum base package and it is not even a purchase option since it is not yet in FL. But then again FL doesn't have the NIV Study Bible, even though it is without doubt the best selling study Bible the NIV study Bible is still not in FL (yes we have the Lutheran variant version Concordia self study Bible, but it is a lesser edition in most peoples minds, although I personally did like it and it is enough for me, I would not add the NIVSB if it became available, although I didn't even add the ZNIVSB when it came to FL (that is not designed to be a replacement to the NIVSB but a companion study Bible, it is perhaps a bit more theological in tone than the bare fact feel of  the NIVSB). I am surprised this PP is not making more headway as it is still considered by most to be the finest Catholic Study Bible available. I personally have not looked too intently into the newer Ignatius study bible but have read it is very uneven, and from what I have seen more closely resembles a catholic "Life Application Bible" with many quotes from he church fathers and the CCC.

-Dan

Posts 1526
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 12:07 PM

?

Zondervan NIV Study Bible- https://www.logos.com/product/53348/niv-zondervan-study-bible 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 28891
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 12:33 PM

Ben:
?

He is referencing two different books, but has his acronyms wrong. 

• The older NIV Study Bible (NIVSB)
  • The newer NIV Zondervan Study Bible (NIVZSB)

Despite being one of the best selling Study Bibles, the NIVSB isn't available in Logos. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5316
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 12:35 PM

Sorry for the lack of clarity Ben, Alabama is correct is deciphering my ramblings, my apologies for the confusion.

-Dan

Posts 1526
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 12:41 PM

All, thanks. I own the older one in paper, but the newer one in logos only. Is the difference really that great?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 28891
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 2:30 PM

Ben:
Is the difference really that great?

Yes. They are completely separate Study Bibles.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1603
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 12:57 AM

Veli Voipio:

About 12 ours ago I measured the line and it was 21 mm out of 40 mm.

It is still the same length, thus the push does not seem to work.

Currently the count of views is 761.

Now it seems to be 22 mm out of 40 mm (count of viewers 1,148), please heat up the discussion! Storm

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 8:58 AM

Heat!

Lets storm the Faithlife HQ and chain ourselves to Bob's deskSuper Angry

Time to protest!

P ASuper AngrySuper AngrySuper Angry

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 9:04 AM

WHAT DO WANT?

NJB STUDY BIBLE!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

NOW!

WHAT DO WE WANT...Super AngrySuper AngrySuper AngryWink

Posts 1603
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 9:42 AM

One way to get more customers is to remove the country restriction. 

Now the situation (and managers at the publishers) may be different than a year ago.

One phone call could solve this problem right away?

Posts 1839
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2016 5:12 PM

Talked me into it.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS