How to search for "name1" WITHIN 1 WORD "name1"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 176
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 28 2016 7:14 AM

Ok, Logos gurus - am trying to check out a claim in a commentary and struggling to work out how to code the search.  The claim is that when the Lord speaks the name is often repeated two times.  So I tried a Louw-Nida search as following: <LN93.1-93.388> BEFORE 1 WORD <LN93.1-93.388> BUT 600 results came out including "Judas Iscariot", "Jesus Christ", "Mary Magdalene".  Anyone know how to search for the repetition of the same name in the NT?  I would also like the OT but realise that is harder too!

Thank you :)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 9:42 AM

"I, I am" search idea is:

(lemma:ἐγώ WITHIN 2 WORDS lemma:εἰμί) WITHIN {Speaker <Person Jesus>}

Morph Search can be refined for singular usage:

(lemma:ἐγώ@R???S WITHIN 2 WORDS lemma:εἰμί@V????S) WITHIN {Speaker <Person Jesus>}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 176
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 2:47 PM

Thank you Keep Smiling.  I was looking to search for repetitions like "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" rather than pronouns.  Perhaps the search I am looking for is impossible at the moment.  I just thought I'd test out our resident experts :)

Posts 26456
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 2:58 PM

I suspect that it requires a syntax search which is why I've not attempted an answer.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 4:01 PM

Paul Chatfield:
 I was looking to search for repetitions like "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" rather than pronouns.  Perhaps the search I am looking for is impossible at the moment.

Syntax Search makes it possible.

You could do similar for the OT using Segments.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:00 PM

Paul Chatfield:
I was looking to search for repetitions like "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" rather than pronouns.

Greek OpenText that includes Acts 9:4

Greek Cascadia that includes Acts 9:4

Greek Lexham Syntactic that includes Acts 9:4

Hebrew repetition:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 176
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:10 PM

Wow - thank you, both of you.  That's great! :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS