Personal Books Picture Import

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 130
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 5 2016 10:10 AM

I have a WORD.docx document with embedded pictures that I desire to have within my LOGOS personal library.  When I "build" the book, the book and many of the pictures/figures import fine, but for some the following error message is recorded in the log file "[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document. To use this embedded image, open the document in Word, select "Save As...", and deselect the "Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option. Then rebuild the book."

When I return back to my WORD document within WORD 2007 and attempt to "deselect the "Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option." it is not available. 

Any suggestions and thought would be very welcomed and appreciated on how to resolve this issue. 

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2016 10:28 AM

VML is deprecated/unsupported so it would be best to use another image format.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2016 10:34 AM

Dave Hooton:

VML is deprecated/unsupported so it would be best to use another image format.

But this message is not a reliable indicator of the issue, since it is coming up even in resources with no pictures at all - not once in the forums could this error be established to be related to pictures in outdated formats. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2016 10:38 AM

Donald McNeeley:
I have a WORD.docx document with embedded pictures that I desire to have within my LOGOS personal library.  When I "build" the book, the book and many of the pictures/figures import fine

There could be an issue with the way textflow is formatted around those pictures that don't work, or any other problem. Could you post the file (or a part of it containing pictures that work and those that don't)?

One idea would be to save the word file as *.rtf, then closing Word. After that, open the *.rtf in Word and save as *.docx. This process helps to get rid of artefacts in the docx' underlying XML structure that sometimes prevent the compiler from working correctly. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 980
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2016 4:03 PM

Donald McNeeley:
When I "build" the book, the book and many of the pictures/figures import fine, but for some the following error message is recorded in the log file "[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document.

The suggestion to save to rtf format is a good suggestion for removing rubbish but I have seldom found it work for my VML problems. You are correct about the help suggestion being unhelpful. 

The most common source of VML images that I have found, is where a pdf file has been converted to Word and in that case most if not all of the VML images are things that you don't want anyway. So if you want to ignore the warning from the Logos compiler then go ahead, it will make no difference to the finished product although they may alter the formatting in your Word document. For instance, by giving you a blank space in the middle of a section of text. I try to get rid of them more out of cussedness than anything else! 

In your case I would check through to see if some of your images have not converted. Only start getting concerned if some images have not made it through the compiler. Where this has happened, feel free to come back and we can try to sort it, by following NB Mick's suggestion to include a sample.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2016 8:46 PM

JohnB:
cussedness

What a great descriptive noun!

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 7 2016 5:38 AM

JAL:

JohnB:
cussedness

What a great descriptive noun!

meanspirited disagreeable contrariness (WordNet 3.0)

Posts 980
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 7 2016 10:20 AM

Schumitinu:
disagreeable contrariness

My wife would agree with occasional disagreeableness and one ex manager would have agreed with contrariness "How can I manage John when he won't do what I tell him". I think it annoyed her that despite that, I always made my targets - thanks to answered prayer. 

Posts 2
CarlaVictory | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2016 5:06 AM

Check if your textflow is formatted around the images. I think it can be this matter. Oh, FYI: Don't forget to add image signature in the doc. Since it is easily to be stolen and make you awkward. 

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2016 6:27 AM

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS