Panels and tabs open differently and in different places.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 22
Tony Garcia | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:22 AM

Sometimes when I open several resources in the same panel, the tabs seem to open differently. Some tabs open showing the contents pane, some open showing the locator pane, some open with both showing, and others don't open with either. Is there some way to set the default behavior for how resources open so there is some consistency there?

Also, how do I know where a new panel will open? In the passage guide, for example, if I click on a new commentary to open, sometimes it opens with the other commentaries, and sometimes it opens in the panel with all the bibles. Will there be some way to select a panel in which I want the next resource I click on to open in?

I noticed that tabs will change to the book icon instead of displaying the entire title in the tab when there are too many tabs open in one panel. But then there are time where I'll close one, and it goes back to displaying the titles which puts some open resources out of reach because they are no longer being displayed (due to lack of space in the tab bar). I noticed arrow buttons on the panels that are currently not functioning. Are those going to allow the user to scroll through the resources open in a panel by clicking forward or back?

If so, that would solve navigation, but I still would not be able to see resources that are currently open "beyond" what the tab bar displays.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 8:54 PM

Tony Garcia:

Sometimes when I open several resources in the same panel, the tabs seem to open differently. Some tabs open showing the contents pane, some open showing the locator pane, some open with both showing, and others don't open with either. Is there some way to set the default behavior for how resources open so there is some consistency there?

The default behavior for the first time you open a resource is contents pane off, and locator bar on. Each resource remembers how it was opened the last time you closed it, and restores to that same state, regardless of what tile it opens in. There is no way to have it go back to the default behavior or change what the overall default behavior for first time opening is. But you could propose either or both of these as a suggestion (in the Suggestions forum) if you like. In the meantime, it's easy to turn the locator bar on/off (Ctrl+Shift+L) and to open/close the contents pane (Ctrl+Shift+C).

Tony Garcia:

Also, how do I know where a new panel will open? In the passage guide, for example, if I click on a new commentary to open, sometimes it opens with the other commentaries, and sometimes it opens in the panel with all the bibles. Will there be some way to select a panel in which I want the next resource I click on to open in?

Logos does its best to open "like with like" so commentaries will open with other commentaries in general, if there is room. I think the balance between number of panels in each tile is also taken into account, perhaps. I don't really understand the algorithm they use to determine this, but watching this video was pretty enlightening:  Layout Management. There is no way to tell Logos which tile to open the next resource in, but you can move them around at will by dragging their tabs. That video explains all about it.

Tony Garcia:

I noticed that tabs will change to the book icon instead of displaying the entire title in the tab when there are too many tabs open in one panel. But then there are time where I'll close one, and it goes back to displaying the titles which puts some open resources out of reach because they are no longer being displayed (due to lack of space in the tab bar). I noticed arrow buttons on the panels that are currently not functioning. Are those going to allow the user to scroll through the resources open in a panel by clicking forward or back?

I had never seen that situation where an open resource cannot be accessed because its title or icon is hidden, but then again I've never had more than about 10 resources open at a time in each tile. I just did it to see the arrows you were talking about. They are functioning for me to allow scrolling through the open tabs. Could you describe a reproducible case of when they are not? That would be a bug, if you're seeing that behavior. What version are you running (check the About Box, which you can bring up from the Help menu)? I'm using 4.0b Beta 12.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 9:46 PM

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Mac Alpha.  I'm almost certain the arrows aren't working yet.  Thanks for answering though Yes

Posts 22
Tony Garcia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:34 PM

7357.screenshot.tiff

Here is the screen shot. What you can't see are the commentaries that actually opened in the "bibles" panel. Sorry, I don't know how to embed.

What you can see is that the titles have gone so far as to remove the "X" button that allows me to close them. I can only switch between the resources by clicking on the ones whose tab is visible. The arrows don't work yet, and I can't close them (unless I drag them outside to a different panel).

And yes, I'm using the Mac Alpha.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:05 PM

Tony Garcia:

And yes, I'm using the Mac Alpha. 

Whoops! Sorry. I didn't notice what forum this question was in. I found it in the Recent Topics section and didn't look closely enough.

Yeah, there are some parts of the Mac Alpha interface that are still not functioning. Hopefully the arrows will be coming along soon.

Hopefully the rest of my answer is still valid.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:19 PM

Tony Garcia:
What you can see is that the titles have gone so far as to remove the "X" button that allows me to close them. I can only switch between the resources by clicking on the ones whose tab is visible.
This is a known issue and is listed in the release notes so you are not alone in experiencing this behavior.

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:34 PM

Note: You can use command-w to close the active tab

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:31 PM

MichaelKares:

Note: You can use command-w to close the active tab

Yes, but this always feels like I'm living dangerously because I find it hard to see which is the active tab and have often closed the wrong window by mistake ...

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 10811
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:27 AM

Rosie Perera:
Hopefully the rest of my answer is still valid.

Everything except the keyboard commands was valid for the Mac. Eventually, the OS will make little difference in operation.

Rosie, your wisdom and insight are always here. Yes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS