Possible Bug: Syntax Search Result

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:06 AM

Mike M - I think in your latest syntax search video on youtube you mentioned it was the last in the series. I appreciated your videos...and based on how helpful your contribution to this thread was I'd suggest it would be helpful for you to do some "advanced syntax searching" tutorials, perhaps with topics covering gaps and groups. As Ryan mentioned, there seems to be a shortage of good documentation for some of the finer details...

Posts 151
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:29 AM

Mike Hogue:

Mike M - I think in your latest syntax search video on youtube you mentioned it was the last in the series. I appreciated your videos...and based on how helpful your contribution to this thread was I'd suggest it would be helpful for you to do some "advanced syntax searching" tutorials, perhaps with topics covering gaps and groups. As Ryan mentioned, there seems to be a shortage of good documentation for some of the finer details...

Yes

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:53 AM

Ryan Robinson:

I'm also noticing this could of been a lot easier search for the question from the Faithlife group. There are only to false hits (2 Cor 2:5 and 1 John 5:13).

Mike Meiser:

I'm guessing the only reason you didn't go for this, Mike, is it isn't as safe to be exactly what he was looking for? 

You got it. ;-)

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 7:11 AM

Ryan Robinson:
So, I recreated a search similar to the one on on the Faithlife group with Opentext and got wayyyy more results that the Cascadia Search.

Great follow up search of a different database!

This is the beauty of having two different databases to search. It gives you two different but similar slices on life. As I am sure you can agree, a complete, running, visualized graph of the syntax of the entire Greek NT is no easy task. It is rife with interpretive decisions and sometimes confusing decisions that need to be made. Just like comparing different translations of the Bible is a great practice, comparing different syntactical analyses is also a great practice, albeit a bit more difficult. ;-) 

You will notice that the primary difference here between Cascadia and Opentext is the interpretive decision on where to draw the line between different clauses. For instance, in Matt. 20:33, Cascadia says that the vocative κυριε can stand on its own as a minor, non-predicated clause, while Opentext includes it in the same secondary clause. IMHO, I think the simpler take from Opentext is truer to the syntax of this verse than Cascadia. 

You will also notice in other instances how conjunctions are handled differently when they precede a clause. Once again, I think I like Opentext here. 

There are times when I really like Opentext, and there are times when I really like Cascadia. In a similar vein, there are times when I prefer the ESV and there are times when I prefer the NIV. Ideally, we will take a look at both and make the decision from there.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS