Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary on sale

Page 3 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1841
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2016 11:29 PM

Ted Weis:

mike:

Are the pictures indexed properly?

Can you clarify what you mean? The pictures appear in the correct places.

What I mean is would the pics from the commentaries appear if I do a regular search or image search with the same heading or title or subject?

Also, how good is the commentary set, apart from the pretty pictures? I have around 80% of all Logos' commentaries, would it add anything different?

Thank you

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:07 AM

Yes, that's key. We need the pictures to be included in the results when we do a media search to prepare a PP presentation.

Posts 22087
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:19 AM

James Milne Smith:

Yes, that's key. We need the pictures to be included in the results when we do a media search to prepare a PP presentation.

I found an image at random in a couple of volumes and searched for them - and they appeared in the search results

So looks positive.

Posts 987
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:29 AM

Just received an email from Zondervan to say the sale lasts until 30th May. This differs from other previous posts.

Posts 600
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:49 AM

I can also confirm. The images are indexed properly.

Graham Criddle:

James Milne Smith:

I found an image at random in a couple of volumes and searched for them - and they appeared in the search results

So looks positive.

Posts 43
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:53 AM

I am pretty new to Logos. I have chosen to subscribe to Logos Cloud and build my library piece by piece as resources go on sale. Would this be a good set to invest in at the current price?

Posts 600
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 9:58 AM

Brandon Tucker:

I am pretty new to Logos. I have chosen to subscribe to Logos Cloud and build my library piece by piece as resources go on sale. Would this be a good set to invest in at the current price?

If you want a detailed background commentary, you can't go wrong here. Highly recommended!

Posts 600
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 10:01 AM

mike:

Also, how good is the commentary set, apart from the pretty pictures? I have around 80% of all Logos' commentaries, would it add anything different?

Even with a large commentary collection, this set would be an excellent addition. There is no other background resource that goes into such detail.

Posts 127
Richard J. Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 11:19 AM

Graham Criddle:

James Milne Smith:

So looks positive.

I didn't know images are also indexed. How do we perform an image search?

Posts 22087
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 11:37 AM

Richard J. Ward:

I didn't know images are also indexed. How do we perform an image search?

You do this in a "media search" - there are a couple shown in my screenshots above

Posts 6573
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 4:40 PM

Ted Weis:

mike:

Even with a large commentary collection, this set would be an excellent addition. There is no other background resource that goes into such detail.

That's a little bit subjective (my opinion). Most commentaries give you background information in their introduction and throughout the text and the information varies from commentaries to commentaries. I think the value on this one is mainly the "illustrated" part (pictures) which you kind of get in the infographics Logos offers.  IVP Background offers great insight in some passages better than the illustrated version by Zondervan - but again, it lacks the pictures. If I had money to spare, I'd probably get them or may get them to review them for 30 days (hint, hint) and if I see they don't add much other than cool pictures, then I'll return them - there's always that option ;) There's also the Bible Knowledge Background Commentary - I wonder how that fairs with Zondervan's.

Posts 1841
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2016 6:20 PM

File was 1.23gb. So far I feel it doesn't have enough pretty pictures..(Matthew)

Posts 6573
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 3:14 AM

I was reading select passages (Revelation 3:14-19) on BECNT and other samples and it just makes me realize even more that the onlt value added to this set are the pictures. I'm good but thank you Zondervan for such an outstanding sale! I'm glad those who did buy the set are getting a great discount :)

DAL

Posts 600
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 7:54 AM

DAL:

Ted Weis:

mike:

That's a little bit subjective (my opinion). Most commentaries give you background information in their introduction and throughout the text and the information varies from commentaries to commentaries. I think the value on this one is mainly the "illustrated" part (pictures) which you kind of get in the infographics Logos offers.  IVP Background offers great insight in some passages better than the illustrated version by Zondervan - but again, it lacks the pictures. If I had money to spare, I'd probably get them or may get them to review them for 30 days (hint, hint) and if I see they don't add much other than cool pictures, then I'll return them - there's always that option ;) There's also the Bible Knowledge Background Commentary - I wonder how that fairs with Zondervan's.

To dig down deeper in evaluation, I find the Old Testament portion more detailed than the New. But you're right, the pictures, which are high quality, really add value. The Old Testament set alone has over 2,000 photographs.

Posts 2087
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 8:05 AM

JoshInRI:

I never imagined these would go on sale and bought the print copies.  I am tempted to buy them here and give the print copies overseas to a missionary now.  Still not sure what some are saying here regarding costs.

That is a really nice thought, but I suggest you keep the paper copy and send the digital version to the missionary overseas.  Digital will be far more useful. No one will steal them, they won't get destroyed in the next monsoon, they are far more portable for travel, shipping overseas costs far less, and your missionary probably could really benefit from Logos resources at least as much as anyone.

In fact, I suggest that lots of people offer lots of Logos resources to their overseas missionaries MusicIdeaSmile 

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 1:24 PM

A few questions about this set:

1. Does copyright allow for the user to use the maps and photos in teaching presentations on slides/powerpoint?

2. Is this the best set available on Logos for visual graphics -- most number of photographs and maps?

3. Are there other resources on Logos that are easily accessible on the mobile app if you do not have internet access?  It appears that with the ZIBBC, the user can download the books to their device and then easily access all the photos and maps even when the user is without internet access. 

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 8:54 AM

Does anyone have any idea about the questions,I asked?

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 9:14 AM

Paul Yeager:

Does anyone have any idea about the questions,I asked?

I am not a lawyer, but my lay opinion is that US copyright laws give great latitude to teachers, including making copies of portions of a work for use in class. I would not hesitate personally to project anything found in these resources in a teaching situation. Google 'fair use' Or read the Wikipedia article by that name.

I have no idea about your second question. As you can read above it is pretty rich on illustrations.

Any Logos resource that can be used in a mobile app can be downloaded for off-line use. You are aware that not all Logos resources are mobile available, so you'd want to check that on a resource before buying it.

Remember that you have 30 days to request a refund on a purchase. You might want to take advantage of this to evaluate this set fully on your own.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 9:20 AM

Thank you Mark. 

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 9:21 AM

Thank you Mark.  Your answers are very helpful.  

Page 3 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS