The Great Books Reader: Excerpts and Essays... available for $2.99

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 297
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 1 2016 9:45 AM

Saw this Baker publication on Amazon Kindle and see that it is on sale on Vyrso as well.  For those of us who are getting the Great Books next week, this will get your feet wet. 

"It contains substantial excerpts from thirty of the most important books in history, with each excerpt followed by an essay placing the work in historical and Christian context."

The Great Books Reader: Excerpts and Essays on the Most Influential Books in Western Civilization

https://vyrso.com/product/15860/the-great-books-reader-excerpts-and-essays-on-the-most-influential-books-in-western-civilization

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 10:11 AM

In this thread I'd posted the table of contents for The Great Books Reader, if anyone is interested.

Posts 136
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 11:04 AM

Thank you Bruce!

Posts 30
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 1:31 PM

good one, thanks.

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 6:12 PM

Great find. Thanks.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 555
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:14 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, Bruce Big Smile

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 61
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2016 4:58 AM

How does Vyrso relate to Logos?  Are we able to read them in Logos?  Do we import them like a PBB or do there a way to have Logos recognize the Vryso book like any other Logs resource?  I have Logos 6 if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

Posts 22267
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2016 5:22 AM

Greg Rose:

How does Vyrso relate to Logos?  Are we able to read them in Logos?  Do we import them like a PBB or do there a way to have Logos recognize the Vryso book like any other Logs resource?  I have Logos 6 if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

All Vyrso books are readable within Logos - and you can make notes / highlights as for other Logos resources.

Assuming you use the same account details when buying a Vyrso book as you use for Logos it will be downloaded into your Logos library

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2016 9:56 AM

Greg Rose:
How does Vyrso relate to Logos?

Graham answered the heart of your question, but to answer this one more explicitly: Vyrso is a brand of the Faithlife Corporation. Whereas Logos Edition resources are generally "value added" academic titles, Vyrso books are "bare bones" trade books (i.e. what you would be more likely to find at your local "Christian" book store). These books range from "Amish romance novels" to "Christian Living" books. 

Vyrso resources are sold with a different set of licensing agreements. They do have "auto scripture hyperlinks" applied, which in some cases works very well, but other times pretty bad. The quality of a Vyrso title is similar to a personal book that you haven't spent too much time with. 

There are some titles in Vyrso which, by the general description of the two stores, would be a better candidate for Logos. Sometimes they are in the Vyrso store by mistake, but in other cases the publisher isn't likely to grant FL a "Logos Edition" license for the book, but they are willing to give them a Vyrso edition one. This is currently true with Moody titles, although there is some movement suggesting that Moody titles <may> return to Logos. 

As Graham said, these books automatically download to your Logos library, provided that you use the same username/password when you purchase the books. 

Greg Rose:
I have Logos 6 if that makes a difference.

It doesn't in any way. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2016 10:14 AM

I forgot to add... 

Part of the whole deal about different licensing agreements means this: Vyrso books are "bare bones" and the quality isn't the same as "Logos Edition" resources. On the positive side, however, is that the books are generally cheaper since they aren't "value added." They are auto converted from the publisher files. Also, they are subject to PUBLISHER sales, which means many books will appear for a time under $3 (even free). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2016 11:51 AM

Steve:
Well ... If you have a kindle ... and would like to save a dollar

I paid the extra dollar to have it in my Logos library.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS