JETS Tagging Problems

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 8 2016 1:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the 42 Volume Journal of Evangelical Theological Society. After indexing, I began doing some test searches to see how it would interact with the default Journals section of the passage guide. I must say I've been very disappointed with the results.

I have found several examples of journal articles that I believe should show up in the passage guide, but do not. Furthermore, in several places the biblical reference isn't even hyperlinked.

I was wondering if this is the expected outcome and my assumptions are mistaken, or is this resource just lagging sufficient tagging and hyperlinking? I know in years past there were problems with the tagging of journals but I thought FL had sorted that out with the recent push of journal bundles.

Any insight you could share would be appreciated.

PS - Searches in the passage guide for the entire chapters (Romans 1, Ecc 12) do not return the desired results either.

Posts 5013
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2016 2:23 AM

Ryan it relates to the tagging in this journal.  If you select the title of the  article in Themilos and right click you can see the article has been tagged with a label that the passage guide references.

For the JETS article no labelling has been applied to the article title.

To get passage guide to show the JETS article you need to add a custom collection section to the passage guide.  In the example below I have added on JETS to the collection to make it easy to illustrate the point.

Posts 8010
LogosEmployee

The resource info I have for JETS 31 is:

LLS:gs_jets_31

2009-12-13T23:46:18Z

GS_JETS_31.lbxlls

From the version and filename (LBXLLS) I can tell that this is quite an old resource that won't have been marked up in accordance with our current standards. It won't have label tagging, per-article citations, newer data type references, and possibly not even thorough Bible reference tagging.

I don't have any information about when this resource might be updated to our latest standards.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 1:34 AM

Hi Bradley,

Thank you for taking time to let me know about the JETS tagging. I really do appreciate it.

I must admit that this is very disappointing news, especially considering FL's push towards journal bundles and even creating a special passage guide section for them. I would humbly encourage FL to either put the tagging of JETS higher in the priority queue, or put a disclaimer on the product page. Had I known about the serious lack of tagging, I would have chosen to purchase a different product.

Thank you,

Ryan

Posts 5013
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2016 8:46 PM

Ryan:
or put a disclaimer on the product page.

I agree they should have a disclaimer on the product page. It's not only what a company says but also what it doesn't say that they need to keep in check.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2016 3:03 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

I don't have any information about when this resource might be updated to our latest standards.

I was just curious if there was any word about when these journals might be tagged and updated yet?

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2016 4:34 PM

Is this still even available for purchase? The page doesn't seem to give that option.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 995
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 1:00 PM

For a variety of reasons we are not able to update this resource at this time. We would like to revisit it in the future.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 1:50 PM

While I'm quite disappointed that these journals still don't take advantage of Logos' journal tagging while so many new journals are being rolled out, I really do appreciate you giving me an update Kyle. Thank you.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:48 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Is this still even available for purchase? The page doesn't seem to give that option.

Bump on this related question.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 995
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 5:52 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Bruce Dunning:

Bump on this related question.

It is not available for sale at this time. It is something we are working on.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 6:16 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
It is not available for sale at this time. It is something we are working on.

Thanks Kyle. Should it not actually say that on the website?

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 11:24 AM

We no longer have the rights to sale these journals.

I'll place a note on the product page.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 11:44 AM

Matthew Miller:

I was wondering it that might be the case. I hope that Faithlife can negotiate a new agreement to sell them again. This was one of the first journals I ordered when I was in Bible college many years ago but I never purchased them in Logos.

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 12:54 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
From the version and filename (LBXLLS) I can tell that this is quite an old resource that won't have been marked up in accordance with our current standards. It won't have label tagging, per-article citations, newer data type references, and possibly not even thorough Bible reference tagging.

Although these journals can no longer be sold by Faithlife, many of us have already purchased them and would benefit hugely from proper tagging. The new licensing restriction Matthew reported surely does not prevent Faithlife from correcting the tagging for those journals which have already been sold.

My first experience of Logos was with the Theological Journal Library. While I understand that Faithlife stopped working with Galaxie software some time ago, the salesperson who talked me into buying the Master Journal Library (a larger purchase than I usually make) told me that the journals I already owned which were part of the MJL would be tagged to work in the Passage Guide. I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of the Journal section but I realise it's connected with the lack of tagging. I don't remember if JETS was included or not. However, it's no longer possible to put a disclaimer on the product page as Ryan suggested above, so perhaps his other suggestion could be implemented -  'put the tagging of JETS higher in the priority queue.'  

Colin. 

Posts 3232
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 3:06 AM

Matthew Miller:

I hope you bring this back someday

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS