EBC good first "premium" commentary?

Page 3 of 6 (118 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 117 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:07 PM

For those who purchased at the subtly mentioned site...is the disc Libronix/Logos 3 or Logos 4?  I returned my new laptop because it liked to freeze on me so now I'm back to my old laptop which is not able to handle L4.

Chris

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:20 PM

You can email to check, but mine was 3.0.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:40 PM

You might have a reason to rejoice in the following weeks, a wired pigeon (strange animal indeed) brought me a missive announcing "some exciting new titles … in the coming weeks”. Methinks the Z is coming to town and I usually rejoice when I hear from the bringer of gifts.

Posts 9
Maniel Leong | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:40 PM

Other than price difference, anyone had compared Tyndale with NIV Application commentaries?

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:58 PM

Alain Maashe:

You might have a reason to rejoice in the following weeks, a wired pigeon (strange animal indeed) brought me a missive announcing "some exciting new titles … in the coming weeks”. Methinks the Z is coming to town and I usually rejoice when I hear from the bringer of gifts.

Can someone please decrypt this for me?  Wink

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:52 AM

ManielLeong:

Other than price difference, anyone had compared Tyndale with NIV Application commentaries?

Maniel, other than format difference, I haven't really compared the two.  Assuming you know little about either:

1. NIVAC is set up to tackle a pericope in three parts:
    1. Original Meaning
    2. Bridging Contexts
    3. Contemporary Significance

Their intended approach, moving from Original to Contemporary is unlike Tyndale.  Tyndale is more what i consider a "classical" commentary (albeit not technical), which doesn't look so much at application.  Application may be made, but not as overtly as with NIVAC.  NIVAC has some very good volumes (no expert here, but one I liked was Ephesians). Tyndale also has some, and most of theirs are also older than NIVAC.  Tyndale's have a far better reputation than NIVAC in the OT commentaries.  Tyndale also has some classics, such as RT France's "Matthew", and I. H. Marshall's Acts.  I like both equally well, but now that I have Tyndale in Logos, I refer to it more than Pradis . . . (that may change soon!)

Hope this helps.  You can't go wrong either way.  My heart says go Tyndale.  But I just have more experience with it.  NIVAC is very helpful with its Application section, although the quality of that varies greatly from author to author.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 4:00 AM

Amy Leung:

Amy, he got an email telling him that Zondervan was going to be announcing new titles in the next couple of weeks.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:19 AM

Terry Poperszky:

Amy Leung:

Amy, he got an email telling him that Zondervan was going to be announcing new titles in the next couple of weeks.

i believe yours is a mistranslation caused by paraphrasis according to your librology of preference.

Posts 9
Maniel Leong | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:06 AM

As this is my first multi-volume commentaries, I go for Tyndale.

Thanks a lot.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:03 AM

I had forgotten that I looked into the Tyndale set a month or so ago and had dismissed it due to my eschatological leanings.  If I'm not mistaken, the Daniel commentary is written from an amillenial perspective and both Matthew (specifically chapter 24) and Revelation come from a preterist perspective.  As a futurist, premillenialist who spends a large chunk of my study time studying prophecy, do those of you familiar with the set think that I can still get enough other benefits out of the set to overcome these rather large downsides (downsides being relative based on my own leanings of course...for others these same points may be viewed as "pros" for the set)?

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:26 AM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:

I had forgotten that I looked into the Tyndale set a month or so ago and had dismissed it due to my eschatological leanings.  If I'm not mistaken, the Daniel commentary is written from an amillenial perspective and both Matthew (specifically chapter 24) and Revelation come from a preterist perspective.  As a futurist, premillenialist who spends a large chunk of my study time studying prophecy, do those of you familiar with the set think that I can still get enough other benefits out of the set to overcome these rather large downsides (downsides being relative based on my own leanings of course...for others these same points may be viewed as "pros" for the set)?

It would challenge you to think through your own position most carefully.  Your position would be sharpened as you learn how to respond to an established, but different, view, rather than only reading what agrees with you.  You would know how to better talk with those who hold that position in your congregation.  Sometimes we set up straw men and defeat them.  This would guard against that.

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:33 AM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:

Ronald,

You can get a lot from the Tyndale series. We share the same broad perspective on those books of the Bible. However, I believe that it is important to hear what the other side has to say, especially within the parameters of evangelical faith. The goal is not so much to uphold and defend one's theological position but to arrive to a proper interpretation of scripture wherever it might lead us. The Daniel commentary does a good at covering key issues regarding the interpretation of the book and regardless of your theological leanings.

The set is also more than just commentaries in Daniel and Revelation, it does a good job covering the rest of the bible with many outstanding volumes in both the OT and the NT. This is important since even a personal focus on prophecy must be done in a canonical context as the rest of the Bible must inform out understanding of prophecy.

The set is not technical and as such is not appropriate for in-depth studies as it will at best summarize the major arguments concerning specific issues. for its range, the Tyndale series is unsurpassed

Alain

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:16 AM

Thanks for the insights both.  I agree about studying the other side of the issues.  I've never been one to only study the problem issues only from my side of the debate.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:24 AM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:

Thanks for the insights both.  I agree about studying the other side of the issues.  I've never been one to only study the problem issues only from my side of the debate.

Nice response, and I hope my own did not seem condescending.  Was just trying to be quick and concise, and had no idea of your own approach.  It really is a nice "little" standard set.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:36 AM

I would come at Dan and Rev from the same point of view that you do.  I actually have copies of both sets of commentaries.

Knowing where you come from and from the stand point of this being your first set, I would chose EBC over the Tyndale.  Part of the reason is as you stated this would be your first set, and I really believe it is important to understand all sides of the issue, and a better understanding of your position is a good place to start.

To be truthful, I would not want to be without either set of these commentaries, they are both very solid starting points on any passage.  They both give a person a foundation for further studies.

Inspite of all of the pro Tyndale comments I find both sets to be equal but different, the question in my mind is where do you want to start, with a set of commentaries that will help you better understand your position or a do you want to start with a set that will help you to better understand other positions.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:39 PM

Not to worry, no offense taken.  I do appreciate the insight offered :)

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:41 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:

I would come at Dan and Rev from the same point of view that you do.  I actually have copies of both sets of commentaries.

Knowing where you come from and from the stand point of this being your first set, I would chose EBC over the Tyndale.  Part of the reason is as you stated this would be your first set, and I really believe it is important to understand all sides of the issue, and a better understanding of your position is a good place to start.

To be truthful, I would not want to be without either set of these commentaries, they are both very solid starting points on any passage.  They both give a person a foundation for further studies.

Inspite of all of the pro Tyndale comments I find both sets to be equal but different, the question in my mind is where do you want to start, with a set of commentaries that will help you better understand your position or a do you want to start with a set that will help you to better understand other positions.

In Christ,

Jim

Fantastic, thanks for the comments Jim.  That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well, both for the current pricing reasons (not missing the prepub price on EBC) and for the position of the commentaries as well.  I will pick up EBC before the prepub finishes and then hopefully grab Tyndale within the next month or so.

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 1:46 PM

Ronald,

I have had the Expositor's Bible Commentary on my shelves and used it in sermon prep for ten years now and found it very helpful overall.  I agree with the previous commentators about the "uneven" quality of some of the particular books, but I have found that to be true with all commentary sets. I have a handful of volumes of the Tyndale commentaries that I have purchased over the years to study individual books and found them to be very good. Like you, I intend to buy them in the future. However, the EBC is the first commentary set that I reccommend to young ministers who are looking to buy something beyond a one or two volume commentary. In fact, I just bought the EBC for the pre-pub price yesterday in order to have access to it in Logos - even though I am looking at it on my shelves right now!  It's worth $120 to have access to it in Logos for me. I am guessing that the final price will be at least double that in the very near future. Hope you enjoy.

Greg Corbin

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 1:54 PM

Greg Corbin:

Ronald,

I have had the Expositor's Bible Commentary on my shelves and used it in sermon prep for ten years now and found it very helpful overall.  I agree with the previous commentators about the "uneven" quality of some of the particular books, but I have found that to be true with all commentary sets. I have a handful of volumes of the Tyndale commentaries that I have purchased over the years to study individual books and found them to be very good. Like you, I intend to buy them in the future. However, the EBC is the first commentary set that I reccommend to young ministers who are looking to buy something beyond a one or two volume commentary. In fact, I just bought the EBC for the pre-pub price yesterday in order to have access to it in Logos - even though I am looking at it on my shelves right now!  It's worth $120 to have access to it in Logos for me. I am guessing that the final price will be at least double that in the very near future. Hope you enjoy.

Greg Corbin

I ordered the pre-pub last week and am waiting anxiously! Thanks for the comments Greg Smile

Posts 62
Mike T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:16 PM

Greg Corbin:

Ronald,

However, the EBC is the first commentary set that I reccommend to young ministers who are looking to buy something beyond a one or two volume commentary. Greg Corbin

Quite often users recommend commentaries for young ministers, as a first "premium" commentary, etc.  I would like to phrase the question a bit differently.  If one already has NIC, NAC, NIGTC, Word, BECNT, Pillar, Tyndale, and all the other commentaries in the Platinum package, how likely is it that one would find new perspectives in the EBC commentaries? 

Michael

Page 3 of 6 (118 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS