BUG: Verbum 6.12 SR-1 on Mac frozen

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 14 2016 4:26 AM

I restarted my Mac with Verbum 6.12 SR-1 (it downloaded all the 700 journal updates yesterday), and the Home Page does not come up, it just sits there with a blank workspace and the pie plate spinning. Twice I have closed it, but it's still running so I force quit it and restart. It seems to be a problem Hung on the home screen generation. If I hit the Home icon, I can then do work, bring up resources, etc. But if I hit Home screen again, I get the pie plate - 10 minutes and running. F5 doesn't help it regenerate itself.

Logs attached.

5516.VerbumLogs.awalt.20160614-071422.zip

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:31 PM

Just an FYI, this is the end of the second day and Verbum on the Mac is frozen if the hoe page comes up and it will not close unless I do Force Quit. It would be great if someone could get around to looking at this.

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 4:29 PM

Don Awalt:
I restarted my Mac with Verbum 6.12 SR-1 (it downloaded all the 700 journal updates yesterday), and the Home Page does not come up, it just sits there with a blank workspace and the pie plate spinning. Twice I have closed it, but it's still running so I force quit it and restart. It seems to be a problem Hung on the home screen generation. If I hit the Home icon, I can then do work, bring up resources, etc. But if I hit Home screen again, I get the pie plate - 10 minutes and running. F5 doesn't help it regenerate itself.

Don, thanks for letting us know you're having this issue. We do not have a solution but we will be investigating. We just released 6.12 SR-2 today. I don't have information that this would solve your issue but if there was an issue with the install of Sr-1 it's possible that this could correct it.

Ryan

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 1:30 PM

Did anyone ever analyze the logs I posted here? It is happening again today, I restarted my MBP today and when I brought up Verbum, this time 6.12 SR-2, it spins forever on the home page. I was able to bring up resources, but when I go back to the Home Page it just spins. So I brought up the Abut to verify it was 6.12 SR-2, and when I clicked to close the About down, it just spins now with a blank About box.

I suspect only a reinstall will fix this. Do you want logs? Any ideas? This is pretty serious if the only solution is a reinstall.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 1:41 PM

I'll wait to hear from Faithlife before I take the next step. Attached are logs from when it happened the first time today. I just restarted the entire Mac, and reran Verbum, and it's just spinning away. I'll leave it up and see if it continues for hours, which I suspect it will.

0714.VerbumLogs.awalt.20160619-163142.zip

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 4:31 AM

Has anyone had a chance to look at this? Thanks

Posts 303
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 3:31 PM

Don Awalt:
Has anyone had a chance to look at this? Thanks

When this happens again, can you please click the "Sample" button on the Logging Utility so that it collects a sample of what the application is currently doing while the beachball is spinning?

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2016 3:29 AM

Martin Potter:
When this happens again, can you please click the "Sample" button on the Logging Utility

Here ya go, see attached - FYI, there is no "when this happens again" - it is like God, it does it eternally Smile

0412.VerbumLogs.awalt.20160622-062537.zip

Posts 303
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 8:51 AM

Thanks for the logs. Based on the conversation I had with Ryan, it appears that it is the "Media" option on the Home Page that is causing issues. Can you run with just that option enabled and upload the logs from that run? Hopefully there will be something in there that can help us track the issue down.

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:28 PM

Sure, but today the problem does not occur!  Here is what I did -

1. Closed Verbum on Mac

2. On Verbum /Windows, changed the Home Page Content and Sidebar settings to ONLY have Media checked. When it closed, I got 1 page of media. I did a F5 to just see another page.

3. I clicked Sync circle on Windows Verbum to ensure the changes were sync'd. It showed "All items are up to date".

4. Brought up Verbum/Mac, Home page came up fine - just Media. Note, I did this about 6 times the other day and it froze every time. I then turned everything I normally have on the Home Page, closed the settings, and it regenerated Home Page fine. So the problem has gone away unless it was something on the backend.

What do you think it was? Internet is excellent here. 

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:30 PM

Although I will say the changes I made to what displays on the Home Page on teh Mac are not syncing to the Windows Verbum (they did sync the other way). I have clicked the sync circle on both several times, both report all is up to date, but the check boxes are not updated on Windows. But when I closed Windows Verbum and then reopened it, the Home Page settings from the Mac were updated. Sounds like a bug?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:27 AM

This is still occurring. I sent Ryan sample logs while the pie plate is spinning on loading the Home Page, the problem comes and goes. Here are the samples. Betrween the Home Page getting locked if I don't turn it off or unselect things, and the need to Force Quit the app when it eventually freezes, the Mac version for me is pretty much unusable now.

5277.VerbumLogs.awalt.20160630-102333.zip

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS