way to stop left- right-arrow keys from cycling thru similar modules ?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 15 2016 10:47 AM

While in a non-Bible book, is there a way to stop Logos from cycling thru modules when I press the left-arrow or right-arrow combos?

Most of the time I want to stay in a book.  But sometimes, on my dual-monitor system, my mind tells me I'm pressing left-arrow or right-arrow in the other visible program when I am actually in Logos.  I know this is my own carelessness but sometimes I don't recognize what 

I know this is my own carelessness but sometimes I don't recognize what has happened - that the Logos module has been changed.  I'm perfectly happy to change modules by clicking on tabs.

I'm not advocating that everyone's system should work as I like it, only that I have an option to work as I like it.

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:08 PM

Ken F Hill:
I'm not advocating that everyone's system should work as I like it, only that I have an option to work as I like it.

You can float this suggestion via UserVoice.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 4:11 PM

Thanks.  I assume there is no way now to stop this behavior?

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 3:00 PM

Key mapping software may be a solution, or global shorcuts (hotkeys) software. It depends on your intended use of those keys.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 3:14 PM

Thanks.  I used to use Auto Hotkey.  Maybe I'll brush up on that as a solution.  I should just be more careful what program has focus before pressing keys.

I suspect that after 271 views of this post, and you being the only other participant, that no one else cares about this - so I probably won't mess around with UserVoice.

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 4:20 PM

Ken ... I wouldn't make too many assumptions on views vs comments.

For me, I saw your initial thread and saw no solution .... I do the same accident, often wondering 'what happened??'  Using Libronix and L6, I can't remember ever wanting a stack of endless parallels ... a specific one, yes. 

But that is one of many Logos UI bright ideas run amuck. I could make a list .... the software opening a resource and not displaying the tab, putting the more-tabs button right over the close resource button, no confirms when you are about to do something disasterous, etc. 

My recommendation is for the Logos design guru (who prides himself on being unfamiliar with the competition) to be forced to use Logos at least 5 min a day everyday. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. That should do it. Ditto on the Logos apps designer.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:33 PM

Denise:

Ken ... I wouldn't make too many assumptions on views vs comments.

For me, I saw your initial thread and saw no solution .... I do the same accident, often wondering 'what happened??'  Using Libronix and L6, I can't remember ever wanting a stack of endless parallels ... a specific one, yes. 

UserVoice submission:

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/14837883-a-toggle-to-turn-off-on-cycling-thru-books-via-rig

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 8:42 PM

Ok ... 3 votes though I'm not sure how it knew I was legit.

Today, I was using the up/down arrows in text comparison .... you can easily end up with no arrows if you don't 'touch' the right area. Why, I've no idea.  Then in search, if you pop a resource open to its results, the up/down keys stop working.  These after 7 years ... L4-6.  Arrow keys are hard to figure out for Logos in their system panels.

Posts 26157
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 9:31 PM

Shucks they've never given me any trouble  Crying Guess I'm too much a creature of habit Sad Seriously, if you can describe accurately what causes it to be confusing and not predictable I'm sure Eli would want to improve it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 6:43 AM

MJ. Smith:
Guess I'm too much a creature of habit  Seriously, if you can describe accurately what causes it to be confusing and not predictable I'm sure Eli would want to improve it.

I'm trying to develop better habits.  

One obstacle (besides aging, inattention, and getting in a rush) is the monochromatic mush that many programs use for UI skins.  The difference between Logos having focus or not is the difference between a light blue and a bit lighter blue.  I wish I could just override all these skins and let my carefully-chosen windows settings control colors.  (I'm uncool in other ways, too.)

I'll just try to remember to pause and click on the program I want before touching the keyboard.  It is mostly my inattention and sloppy habits.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 1:28 PM

This "feature" is very annoying.  It's driving me crazy(ier) by the day.  This is by far the most annoying "feature" in Logos.  Why this is foisted on users with no way to turn it off amazes me.  I'm sure someone thought it was a good idea and I realize lots of people like it -- but I hate it and am very frustrated.

But Thanks for the tips.  And the otherwise great program.

Posts 26157
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 3:25 PM

Denise:
 Using Libronix and L6, I can't remember ever wanting a stack of endless parallels ... a specific one, yes. 

Where I prefer to have few resources open and use custom parallel collections to make what I need easily available ... I hate a clutter of panes and tabs. I guess I want my Verbum interface to have a Scandinavian design ... must be the influence of my Finnish Grandma. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 5:24 PM

I'd agree, in we were not in a world of ludicroustimiousness (the Logos interface).

For a passage in Acts, I counted 80 (+\-) parallel resources. Now, loving choices, the more the better, that would be ok (ignoring hitting the arrow key an average of 20 times in either direction) . But even selecting the 3-rivers icon, one is faced with 8 pagedowns, while squinting for the page cover that seems best.  (We all know about the Logos pagecover conspiracy).

If they periodically would be consistent in their UI design, they'd of at least put in a small search box. But no. Ergo, I remain stiff-necked in my comment!  [My exclanation mark was unnecessary, but consonent with our new leader.)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS