English Bible Collection (27 vols.) - THIS REALLY NEEDS A PUSH!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 15 2016 6:46 PM

Come on people, let's get this into production!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be a great a valuable resource!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 6:54 PM

English Bible Collection (27 vols.) 

Maybe raise our bids?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:26 PM

There's a few community pricing resources that I thought would be a no-brainer and reach 100% in no time.  This one was one of them.  I bid $90 almost 2 years ago (Aug 2014) and that price is no longer even available, so I can't raise my bid.

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:27 PM

A little while back quite a few of us raised our bids between $50 - $70. Maybe we should raise them higher......because it is going to take a lot to get this into production.

Posts 1073
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:29 PM

I have not bid on this, the question i have is with all the other english Bible that many of us have WHY should we want this. 

Tell me about the reason i should bid of this? Others may be of the same mind set as me on this.

Which of the included resources are important and why?

Instead of just trying to raise your bid which is harder, try to sell the resource to other users, this would be faster.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:30 PM

I see what you mean Ronald Quick

LOGOS has changed the community pricing.

I bidded $50 one year ago, and now you can only bid up to $38 and that is it.

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:52 PM

Lee:
Tell me about the reason i should bid of this?

In my case, it's the historical importance of how the language has changed, and also to see how much of the Wycliffe/Tyndale influence is still in the modern texts. It's also interesting to see how my most familiar passages looked back then.

I have a feeling (nothing more than feeling) that this is going to be in L7 base packages, as a couple or three of them are already in packages. So if you have at least a dollar per volume interest, go ahead and bid. If it's in a base package later (or sooner) this year, you'll get it a few weeks after launch; if it isn't, it won't ever get above water. 

23 Bie thou treuthe, and nyle thou sille wisdom, and doctryn, and vndurstonding.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 26245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 8:15 PM

Lee:
I have not bid on this, the question i have is with all the other english Bible that many of us have WHY should we want this. 

If you have any commentaries that used one of these Bibles as its basic text OR if you have writings where one of these texts would have been the familiar text of the author OR  

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1094
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 9:34 PM

Lee:

Tell me about the reason i should bid of this? Others may be of the same mind set as me on this.

Which of the included resources are important and why?

Instead of just trying to raise your bid which is harder, try to sell the resource to other users, this would be faster.

This bundle has been promoted on the forums many times. I've not bid on it and have very little interest in it.

For me, this illustrates a problem with many of the community pricing offerings: the bundles are too big with too much filler. If this were half or a quarter the size with just the more important Bibles like Geneva, Wycliffe, Tyndale, and a few others, I might pay $15 or $20 for it. But $30 for a bunch of versions I will likely never touch in my lifetime--well, for me, that makes it a pass. Others may enjoy collections like this, but I think more focused, limited bundles would be easier to get pushed into production.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2016 10:58 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Maybe raise our bids?

Already in at $50...

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 4:09 AM

Sean:

For me, this illustrates a problem with many of the community pricing offerings: the bundles are too big with too much filler. If this were half or a quarter the size with just the more important Bibles like Geneva, Wycliffe, Tyndale, and a few others, I might pay $15 or $20 for it. But $30 for a bunch of versions I will likely never touch in my lifetime--well, for me, that makes it a pass. Others may enjoy collections like this, but I think more focused, limited bundles would be easier to get pushed into production.

I agree. If this were split into smaller bundles, or into individual volumes, most of these would have gone into production and been completed by now.

As it is, Faithlife is essentially saying, if we can't get enough bids to produce them all, we're not going to produce any of them.

It's really this simple: people want to buy books they'll use and read. I've never heard of the H. T. Anderson New Testament, and can't imagine I'd miss anything if I didn't purchase it.

#StopTheBundling

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 4:56 AM

Glenn Crouch:

Matthew C Jones:
Maybe raise our bids?

Already in at $50...

Me too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 5:21 AM

I agree with focusing on LIMITED BUNDLES. 

A lot of the Bundles are way too big, and are at such an exorbitant price that it is just ridiculous. That is why they never get into production in Community Pricing or Pre Pub.

That is why I do not purchase hardly any of them. 

Focusing on LIMITED BUNDLES is the way to go!

Posts 1010
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:28 AM

I strongly second the suggestion that this be broken up. As it stands, the collection contains some translations of tremendous historical importance - and others that are, in my opinion, only of value as curiousities.

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 7:51 AM

I upped my bid to $38 - as high as it would let me bid.

This is my most-desired community bid item. However, what I really want is for original KJV 1611 to be published in Logos. There was an item that looked like that up until the "great community item purge of 2016." From my perspective, not having an original 1611 is among the biggest gaps in the Logos library.

And, yes, I have read past discussions about this:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/5359.aspx

https://blog.logos.com/2006/03/in_search_of_the_king_james_ve_1/

Anyway, let's get this collection over the line. Please.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 9:25 AM

I bid on this, I think pretty high. Then I deleted it, since I got tired of looking at it disappointedly.

In answer to why?, a question probably suggestive, and maybe rhetorical:

- Frankly history is interesting, and maybe 'collectors' is the target market. For me, a couple I'd want, as maybe turning points, or meaningful (a person being stake-burned for their drive to spread access).

-The bigger reason, is that many of these have a motive ... the author wanted to correct a translation. And it's the motive that provides the value .... using Logos' text-compare, what words or phrases sparked disagreement?   Knowing just that tidbit is worth the collection (versus digging thru a gazillion commentaries).  It's not necessary to agree with the change ... only to be alerted to the possibility.

But my guess is that like beliefs, tradition is fine ... ergo a favorite translation, and then go walk the dog and avoid disappointment.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 9:26 AM

I've been in since 2012.  I am, however, not hopeful that this will ever happen.

Posts 3023
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 1:17 PM

I have a bid in, but I would much prefer to bid on a subset of this collection with only the more well-known and academically significant translations.

Posts 522
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 2:03 PM

Everett Headley:

I've been in since 2012.  

I've been in since 2013

Posts 939
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2016 2:48 PM

I've been in as well since 2013 for 3x projected price. 

Page 1 of 5 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS