What is your primary English translation?

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 9:55 AM

Diego Lara:

For the past 2 years or so I have used the ESV my primary translation, but I have recently been using the NET and I think it is very good as well. What English bible version do you guys use as your primary translation when using your bible study software?

The NET Bible is fantastic. It is technically not a formal equivalence translation, but the notes really make this one of the best translations for Bible students. My list of preferred Bibles:

1. ESV  2. NET  3. NASB95  4. LEB 

I will never use a dynamic equivalence Bible!

Posts 70
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 10:10 AM

I had not heard of the MEV until that I read your post today. I looked it up and it seems to be a updated version of the KJV. It is based on the textus receptus (NT) with the King James Bible being its base manuscript. 

This is from their FAQ page

How else does the MEV differ from the KJV or KJV updates?

Since by leaving certain terms untranslated in this update, it may appear that a Greek text other than the Textus Receptus was used. Such is not the case. A different English rendering is being used to retranslate the Textus Receptus while updating the King James Version manuscript.

When using the Textus Receptus as the base text for a contemporary English translation, the translators cannot use archaic, non-standard, purely literalistic English, nor fail to use what is known today about linguistics and ancient literary and cultural understandings in contemporary English translations.

And another interesting thing is that they actually dedicated this bible to the Queen of England 

Why was the MEV dedicated to Queen Elizabeth II?

The MEV was dedicated to Her Majesty Elizabeth II because it is an update of the Authorized Version, commonly known as the King James Version, which was dedicated to His Royal Highness James I.

Posts 70
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 10:16 AM

It's great to see all the different answers people gave when it comes to English translations. I had been using the ESV as primary with NASB and NIV as secondary for comparison. But now that I been using the NET with the amazing translation notes, I will be making it my primary with the ESV and NIV or NASB as secondary for comparison. 

Posts 3191
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 10:33 AM

Not being a biblical scholar by training, my familiarity with the sacred text is built on two principles tradition and the beautiful. Towards that end my beginnings are founded primarily in the KJV. If you were to ask me to quote from the bible from memory, I would probably respond with the KJV.

Each year I do devotional reading from a different version of the bible. Last year was the Message paraphrase. This year it is the NLT.

As far as study and because it fulfills my predilection for tradition and beauty I tend toward the ESV. I also use the NASB andd the LEB, these are my go to bibles. Thanks Diego for your question. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 12:18 PM

NRSV New Revised Standard Version

then

NJB New Jerusalem Bible
REB Revised English Bible

-Dan

Posts 1699
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 12:34 PM

Josh:
The NET Bible is fantastic. It is technically not a formal equivalence translation, but the notes really make this one of the best translations for Bible students.

I think the same way. I am not a native speaker of English, and therefore I prefer to use only one English translation.

(By the way, often in this forum when they mention "interlinear" [=original text with English translation below] they actually mean "reverse interlinear" [=English text with original language translation below])

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 2:31 PM

Rodney Phillips:

Wow! Check that price out. Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 2:35 PM

Diego Lara:

For the past 2 years or so I have used the ESV my primary translation, but I have recently been using the NET and I think it is very good as well. What English bible version do you guys use as your primary translation when using your bible study software?

I primarily use BHW 4.18 and NA 28 which doesn't answer your question, but I link the Tanakh (1985) to BHW and the NRSV to the NA 28 so I suppose you would consider them my primary English language bibles.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 2:52 PM

Diego Lara:

It's great to see all the different answers people gave when it comes to English translations. I had been using the ESV as primary with NASB and NIV as secondary for comparison. But now that I been using the NET with the amazing translation notes, I will be making it my primary with the ESV and NIV or NASB as secondary for comparison. 

Obviously this is my subjective and highly biased opinion....but if that is what you want to do, I'd recommend choosing a formal equivalence translation as your second choice (i.e. not the NIV) since the NET is more of an "optimal" equivalence translation. You'll get more of a contrast between your Bible readings - which I consider a good thing when I'm trying to determine what the text means. Having two similar translations open side-by-side is rather boring. :)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 6:36 PM

Paul:

King James Bible (KJB) as primary Bible with the ESV or NASB used for comparative purposes. By primary Bible I mean that the KJB is the text I regard as authoritative.   

I agree with your choices.

KJB primary & authoritative

NASB or ESV comparative

all other versions for curiosity

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 7:06 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Paul:

King James Bible (KJB) as primary Bible with the ESV or NASB used for comparative purposes. By primary Bible I mean that the KJB is the text I regard as authoritative.   

I agree with your choices.

KJB primary & authoritative

NASB or ESV comparative

all other versions for curiosity

It's a good thing that English hasn't changed in 400 years.  It's also good that we knew everything there is to know about Hebrew and Greek when the AV (AKA: King James Version) was translated.  If the AV was good enough for Paul and Silas, it's good enough for me.  Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8618
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 7:29 PM

NKJV because that's what the congregation uses.

NASB second preferred

ESV/NIV 1984 for comparison along with other bible versions.

DAL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 7:41 PM

George Somsel:
It's also good that we knew everything there is to know about Hebrew and Greek when the AV (AKA: King James Version) was translated.

That is why God gave us Lexham Reverse InterlinearsGeeked

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 469
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 9:09 PM

Thanks George - Of course, it took 400 years before people wanted something other than King James Bible and about twenty minutes for each of the 'modern' versions since ! Smile. The more 'modern' versions I have read the more I can trust God's Word in English - the King James Bible. Amen.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 9:39 PM

Matthew C Jones:

George Somsel:
It's also good that we knew everything there is to know about Hebrew and Greek when the AV (AKA: King James Version) was translated.

That is why God gave us Lexham Reverse InterlinearsGeeked

Ha, ha.  That's a knee-slapper.

I neglected to mention that it's also good that we had the Byzantine Majority text before all of the textual criticism garbage became popular so that we have the absolutely infallible and infallibly preserved text written with the finger of God.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 1:46 AM

NIV/ESV

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 946
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 5:44 AM

A question for bilingual English/French speakers

If your first language is English and your no 1 translation is the ESV, what French translation would you use as equivalent? Presumably  a modern formal equivalences? or would use a French functional equivalent?

P A

Posts 565
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 5:48 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Rodney Phillips:

Wow! Check that price out. Smile

Yea not sure what is up with that but there is cheaper versions:

https://www.amazon.com/KJVER-Sword-Personal-Print-Black-Ultrasoft/dp/1629113999/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=HKRDMM0HWRMTJH23PPWG

Posts 8618
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 6:19 AM

DAL:

NKJV because that's what the congregation uses.

NASB second preferred

ESV/NIV 1984 for comparison along with other bible versions.

DAL

By the way, my bilingual Spanish/English is NASB/LBLA. Almost forgot about this precious jewel of mine :) is very consistent when translating from English to Spanish or vice versa. In fact, it's the version I recommend to use when trying to learn Spanish or English.  The only catch for English speakers is the "vosotros" pronoun and the verbs that are conjugated with it, but when I learned English, it worked like a charm because I didn't have to deal with that issue in English only when I had to read some "thee" and "thou" sections, but I was already familiar with those that it didn't bother me as much 👍

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS