What is your primary English translation?

Page 4 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 66 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 250
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 25 2017 6:25 PM

1.  NASB

2.  NKJV

3.  NIV ('84)

4.  LEB

5.  NLT

I feel like that grouping gives me a diverse enough set to work with.  Literal translations from both the CR and TR, along with a solid dynamic equivalent and updated semi-paraphrase without going off the reservation entirely (i.e. Message).  

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 12:35 PM

In Logos, I normally use EOB:NT, RSV2CE, KJV + Apocrypha, and NABRE.  For the LXX versions of the Old Testament, I normally use Brenton or Lexham English Septuagint.  I hope that Faithlife produces the Orthodox Study Bible soon, despite its lousy 'Gathering Interest' status (and it had better be more than just the Notes, as the title implies!)

Posts 690
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 6:24 AM

I primarily use the NRSV because I'm in seminary and that's what my professors require for in-class reading and for the papers that we write.  I have come to actually prefer it over other translations because it's a good all-purpose translation (devotional reading, study/exegesis, teaching/preaching, congregational reading, etc).  I mostly used the NIV before I started school since that's what my previous church used and that is the bible that I used as a young adult beginning to study the bible for myself.

Here are my top bibles:

1. NRSV - Balance b/t Formal/Dynamic, easy to read, transparency in footnotes to textual issues, has the Apocrypha, scholarly, incorporates DSS

2. LEB - I've been using this a lot more lately to check my translations from the Greek

3. ESV - Similar to the NRSV in structure but evangelical theological perspective, great comparison text for the NSRV

4. NABRE - Detailed helpful footnotes, different (catholic) theological perspective

5. JPS Tanakh - Great comparison text for OT study (I wish Logos would make a reverse interlinear for it), Jewish perspective, MT textual basis

6. CEB - Uses non-traditional language for theological terms, fresh translation, easy to read, has the Apocrypha

Posts 6890
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 7:17 AM

NKJV, NASB 1977 & 95, NIV1984 and Jewish NT plus Tanak.  The only old English Bible that I use is the ASV 1901. 

Surprisingly some places won't hire you unless you use KJ 1611 or ASV 1901 funny 😂 

DAL

Posts 2363
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 28 2017 1:34 PM

My top three are ESV, CJB and TLV in Logos. I am starting to use Fox's Five Books of Moses for Parashah readings

I can't work at all anymore without looking at the Greek text for any length of time. It's not a matter of having good translations. I can't even explain it. I always see something better.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 479
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 28 2017 11:16 PM

For reading, studying, preaching, etc. I use the NIV2011. Sure it isn't perfect but I believe it does a good job of balancing accuracy and meaning. This balance is primary for me in a bible translation.

In the Text Comparison tool I use the following in this order (reflecting the translation spectrum).

1. ESV

2. CSB

3. NIV2011

4. NCV

5. NLT

A note for all those praising their word for word versions (nothing wrong with that) can I refer you to Bill Mounce's plea for us to stop using the word 'literal' when what we really mean is word-for-word: https://billmounce.com/monday-with-mounce/what-%E2%80%9Caccurate%E2%80%9D-translation

Cheers. Liam ;-)

Carpe verbum.

Posts 3734
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 29 2017 2:28 AM

For personal use, I prefer the NASB95. I have used the ESV occasionally but see little advantage to it over the NASB95. The audio ESV in Logos is nice though.

Otherwise, I have to use the NRSV because it is used more widely in academic settings. It is also handy to consult the deuterocanonical books as needed. 

I use the NIV only in services because this is the text my church uses. 

Every blue moon or so, I may read in the NLT for a change. I find it useful to get through more tedious sections (long genealogies, census lists and descriptions of the tabernacle and temple measurements, construction, and furniture). 

Page 4 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS