College Press NIV Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
W.E. Hunter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 3:09 PM

I recently received an email from Word Search selling the College Press NIV Commentaries (entire set of 41) for $299.95,  I'm confused as to why Logos is selling the same set (only 35 ) for much more.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:12 PM

Very different platforms. You will find that more often than not it is less expensive to but a resource in a competitor's product than in Logos. But if you want the functionality of Logos, it costs something to produce that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:20 PM

What functionality does Logos give us that others do not?

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:46 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Kevin, you're the expert on that. This isn't the forum to discuss other software, as you know. Do you choose to disagree?

How would you answer the OP's question?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:01 PM

W.E. Hunter:

I recently received an email from Word Search selling the College Press NIV Commentaries (entire set of 41) for $299.95,  I'm confused as to why Logos is selling the same set (only 35 ) for much more.

Hi, W.E., I can't give you the official sales or techie answer, but allow me this: Logos generally puts more work into tagging their resources, and their software is generally much more powerful.  That extra work and all that comes with Logos can translate into higher prices.  It is up to you which one you buy.  I personally find it a bit annoying to have to switch, as I currently do, between programs for different resources.  I rather like Logos.  You will need to decide what ratio of cost/performance/convenience you want.  

You are looking at the difference of $50.  That is a good chunk.  But over the life of your commentaries, will it matter if it is in a separate program from Logos?  Will $50 seem that much over 10 or 20 years?  Which software will be more likely to stay current and stay free (upgrade)?  Which one can you build effectively more around?  Which one do you spend more time in?

And you can always see if Logos will come down in price a bit, by working through a salesman.  I use Jared Bryant.  They cannot or do not always come down, but at times it happens.  If Logos does come down, does that difference, and weighing Logos' overall better platform, change your opinion?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 6
W.E. Hunter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:13 PM

Am I understanding correctly - I can purchase from Logos a complete (both Ot and NT) College Press NIV for $349.95 ($299.95 + $50.00)?

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:20 PM

W.E. Hunter:

Am I understanding correctly - I can purchase from Logos a complete (both Ot and NT) College Press NIV for $349.95 ($299.95 + $50.00)?

Not from Logos. Dan must have been thinking just the NT.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:23 PM

Sorry WE.  I committed a major faux pas.  I immediately thought NT Commentaries rather than NIV (entire set of 41). 

Yes there is a considerable difference then.  I would still check on price with a salesman.  Secondly, depending on what base package you have, perhaps it would be cost effective to consider upgrading and getting more resources to boot.  They are in portfolio, although currently only 35 volumes are listed.  They could update that when the others are folded in to that.  Call Logos.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:32 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Sorry WE.  I committed a major faux pas.  I immediately thought NT Commentaries rather than NIV (entire set of 41). 

Yes there is a considerable difference then.  I would still check on price with a salesman.  Secondly, depending on what base package you have, perhaps it would be cost effective to consider upgrading and getting more resources to boot.  They are in portfolio, although currently only 35 volumes are listed.  They could update that when the others are folded in to that.  Call Logos.

Nevermind

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:00 PM

I think there are some resources that Logos has priced far out of reason.   A few sell for far more than the books themselves would cost.   I do not feel the need to defend them in these cases.  I am not sure that it is all Logos' fault in those cases.  It may be the publisher.

I just hope the market balances it out over time. 

That said, I would rather have Logos that any Bible program in the world.   Most Logos resources are a tremendous bargain.  There is nothing out there that even compares to the Logos program - in my opinion.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:14 PM

W.E. Hunter:

Is this a special promotion they are doing? This set is listed at $799.95 on thier website.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:15 PM

The company's website shows the College Press NT on sale for 249 (from $350) and the OT for  $450, and a combined sale for $800. 

Logos has the NT for $350 and the OT for $398 (plus the update on pre-pub for 80) which for  brings the total $470.

**added for clarity** so for both sets from Logos is around $820 

Excluding any special sales, the difference is  $820. $20   Is it possible the they were running a sale?  Or possibly some of pre-pub sale?

In Christ,

Dave

edited for gross mathmatical misconduct

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:19 PM

Bubba Nunya:
Over 4 grand...for portfolio?...to avoid $300 in a comptetitors product?

Hi.  Interesting name.  And welcome.

You are right, that is an outlandish scenario.

Or, in my case, I paid a little over $1,000 to upgrade to Portfolio.  The College Press NIV OT series was one of the several resources I was looking forward to getting.  All in all, I save much money per resource acquired.  It all depends on your starting point, your needs/wants, and your cash reserves.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:22 PM

David A. Peterson:

The company's website shows the College Press NT on sale for 249 (from $350) and the OT for  $450, and a combined sale for $800. 

Logos has the NT for $350 and the OT for $398 plus the update on pre-pub for 80 which for 470. 

Excluding any special sales, the difference is  $820.  Is it possible the they were running a sale?  Or possibly some of pre-pub sale?

In Christ,

Dave

Am I reading your math right?  Or is one figured in US and the Other in Canadien, with the difference being Australian dollars?

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:41 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Am I reading your math right?  Or is one figured in US and the Other in Canadien, with the difference being Australian dollars?

LOL, thanks Dan, corrected my post (and exposed my math skills for the sham that they are)

In Christ

Dave

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:35 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Kevin A. Purcell:

Kevin, you're the expert on that. This isn't the forum to discuss other software, as you know. Do you choose to disagree?

How would you answer the OP's question?

yes I would disagree. I have many other programs and while the overall tools and interface of Logos is better than most tools on the market, the abiltiy to simply open a commentary to a given passage and read it is essentially the same on all of them. The big benefit of Logos is in the tools to do study like language studies, finding content related to your passage in all of the other resources. Commentary reading is not that much different in Logos than it is in most of the other programs that offer them. For that reason I think that the reason Logos stuff is more is because they have created a demand by creating a great program and most of us would spend extra to get the book in our favorite program than having to install another piece of software. As an example -- Pradis and all the Zondervan content.

Second rebuttal point - I am far from an expert. I just am fortunate/blessed to be able to get access to a large collection of Bible software and can compare them.

Posts 655
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:03 AM

MikeWaterhouse:
Is this a special promotion they are doing?

Yes, this is a special promotion that they are running. At the end of a two week timeframe, the prices will revert back to "normal".

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:50 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Second rebuttal point - I am far from an expert. I just am fortunate/blessed to be able to get access to a large collection of Bible software and can compare them.

Semantics, hair splittingStick out tongue. I agree with Mark you are an expertYes Smile.

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:02 AM

X stands for the unknown...a spurt is a drip under pressureSmile.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS