Macbook Freezes toward the end of indexing

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 23 2016 12:31 PM

I have a mid-2012 macbook pro running a pretty fresh installation of os x el capitan 10.11.15 since I had my previous hard drive go bad on me.  I have a 500 GB Samsung SSD and have been running many different programs without any problem. 

Logos has installed properly but when it goes through the indexing process the farthest it has come is about 95% and then it locks up the entire computer where I have to physically shut down the computer holding the power button.  

Here is what I've attempted:

1.  Completely re-installing Logos deleting all the files to make it actually erased 2 different times.

2.  Paused the indexing periodically (let it run for about 30 mins and then pause it for 30 mins). 

3.  Monitored the temperature of the computer with "SystemPal" and the temp ran at about 72-74 degrees during most of the process and did not raise at all before the freeze.

4.  Logos tech has logged into my computer to watch what is going on and has asked me to capture the log file as close to the freeze as possible.  I caught on literally right before it froze with the available temp (72 degrees) and emailed it to them (after restarted the computer).  Have been waiting almost 2 weeks for a follow up on what might be causing this. 

5.  No other program does this and when I completely uninstalled logos my computer would not freeze and if ran it in "safe mode" (which kept indexer from running) it would not freeze either.  

--  I may try to completely re-install el capitan if necessary.  

I will attach the log file below if anyone can help me or give me any ideas on what could be causing this.

5661.logos log.pdf

Posts 26305
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 5:00 PM

Bump as this seems to have received no response and I don't do Mac.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:30 PM

Thank you :). 

one more specific fact is the SSD I have is the Samsung Evo 850 500GB 

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:49 PM

NYSERVANT:
I will attach the log file below if anyone can help me or give me any ideas on what could be causing this.

I don't know if I would be able to help or not, but for clarification: You need to post the Logos.log files, not a PDF. See link in my signature line for learning how to enable and post logs. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:06 PM

NYSERVANT:

Thank you :). 

one more specific fact is the SSD I have is the Samsung Evo 850 500GB 

This might not be related, but on non-Apple SSD's TRIM isn't automatically enabled in OS X and without it write speeds can slow down considerably. Indexing performs a lot of disk reads/writes. Apple recently added a command to enable TRIM for third party SSD's: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/ 

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2016 1:23 PM

Thank you Kevin!  It now finished indexing.  I guess it was this need for trim or something.  Oh, it feels so good to have my software back :) 

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 1:27 AM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):

This might not be related, but on non-Apple SSD's TRIM isn't automatically enabled in OS X and without it write speeds can slow down considerably. Indexing performs a lot of disk reads/writes. Apple recently added a command to enable TRIM for third party SSD's: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/ 

Before making system changes like this, especially by running commands on the command line, it is a good idea to check whether TRIM is already enabled as I believe Apple enabled TRIM support for third party SSDs in later versions of OS X.

Can be done easily — in El Capitan go to: About This Mac | System Report | Hardware | SATA/SATA Express | Choose your SSD drive on the right | Then find TRIM Support and see what is listed.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS