Moving advice

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 23 2016 1:55 PM

A bit off topic, but I can use whatever advice I can get. My wife and I have to relocate at the end of July. I'm totally grateful for my digital library being there's no way I'd ever move a bound book equivalent! I haven't moved in 25 years. I'm just a bit at a loss as to getting back up when I move. I'm on DSL. Should it take more than a phone call or two to get up again?

FWIW, I'm planning on moving all the computer hardware myself.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2016 2:20 PM

mab:
FWIW, I'm planning on moving all the computer hardware myself.

That would be for peace of mind, but the biggest issue is finding an ISP and getting connected - whether cable, fibre, DSL or satellite. The phone call(s) should establish if you do the work (usually to install an appropriate Wi-Fi modem* when the physical connection exists in the home) or if there has to be an installtion to bring the connection to the house + install a Wi-Fi modem.

Then just connect your computer to the modem (via ethernet cable or Wi-Fi) and Logos should work fine!

* don't go for DSL if faster connections are available, but you then have to check if the line is filtered at all points where a phone will be and use their DSL Wi-Fi modem if it is free!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 87
Gary George | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2016 2:29 PM
If you are moving your computer system, I would highly encourage you to do a backup. You can do backblaze for $5 a month. You should do a local as well. Hard drives can get damaged in a move so definitely do a back up. Logos is no issue. You just sign in and it will load. There is only an issue sometimes if you are moving to another machine. You sign into your account and it will sync.
Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2016 7:11 PM

Hadn't thought much about switching ISP, but it looks like DSL is becoming the next dial-up on the tech drive to the graveyard. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1073
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2016 8:29 PM

Even here in the field different ISP's don't have the same speed. some the max is 3Mbps which is what my house has.

I could connect to a better ISP but they told me I would need to pay to bring a line to my house which would be $500.00 so I have not done that... 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2016 8:56 PM

I probably need to figure a cable modem in the equation instead of renting one. There's always some expense if one switches but this might work positively. No cable TV for me though--too many books to read in Logos Geeked 

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 2:15 PM

Progress. If God bless our choice of apartment, the complex uses Comcast for TV, so Comcast looks like the logical cable internet provider. Any advice on cable modem, the only one I've gotten thumbs up on is Arris.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 6:54 PM

mab:
... so Comcast looks like the logical cable internet provider. Any advice on cable modem ...

Comcast (xfinity) has list of approved cable modem devices => https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/ that includes link to DOCSIS Device Information Center

A number of models by various manufacturers have three stars for certification.  Also, the cable modem list can be filtered by speed.  As of 25 Jun 2016, four DOCSIS 3.0 devices for the fastest speed (Extreme 250) have StarStarStar certification: Arris TG1682G , Cisco ! DPC3939 , Cisco DPC3941T , and Technicolor TC8717C (higher speed rated device can be used for lower speeds).

Comcast has a cable modem store with links to Amazon => http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

SMC Networks D3CM1604 Comcast and Time Warn... is $ 69.79 with average StarStarStarStar customer reviews with Star for fastest speed certification.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 7:33 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Comcast (xfinity) has list of approved cable modem devices => https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/ that includes link to DOCSIS Device Information Center

A number of models by various manufacturers have three stars for certification.  Also, the cable modem list can be filtered by speed.  As of 25 Jun 2016, four DOCSIS 3.0 devices for the fastest speed (Extreme 250) have StarStarStar certification: Arris TG1682G , Cisco ! DPC3939 , Cisco DPC3941T , and Technicolor TC8717C (higher speed rated device can be used for lower speeds).

Comcast has a cable modem store with links to Amazon => http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

More than enough info. Thank you!

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:05 PM

Lee:
I could connect to a better ISP but they told me I would need to pay to bring a line to my house which would be $500.00

$500 !!  Where do you live?  25 miles from Nowhere?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2016 11:10 PM

Just thought I'd give an update on my move and setting up with cable. The only glitch I had with getting everything set up was that I purchased a refurbished Arris modem. Nothing wrong with doing that. Arris is 100% behind their product and a refurb gets more testing. The issue was that the modem was assigned to another account and my local Comcast center had to remove the lock to get it to be assigned to my account. Just a few minutes at the center and a day wait to clear the old account off the modem.

A slight inconvenience, but it saved me some bucks off the cost of buying new. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS