Question on "Learn to use Greek and Hebrew"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:47 PM

I wonder if it is possible for Logos to offer the "Learn to use Greek and Hebrew" DVD (http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5876) also as separate products for Greek and Hebrew instructions, for the sake of those people who knows Greek very well and is trying to learn Hebrew, or vice versa? 

I'm sure there'd be a number of us who is familiar with one of the two languages and is trying to learn the other, and thus do not need both resources and is stuck in indecision whether to get the resource or not (me included Smile)?

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:03 PM

Amy Leung:
or the sake of those people who knows Greek very well and is trying to learn Hebrew, or vice versa? 

I just want to say something here....I really doubt that you will get much "Hebrew Language Instruction" in this product.  Just like I am thinking not much "Greek Language Instruction" will be offered..  We will learn how to use the tools given us in Logos to do language study without first hand knowledge of the Language.  I may be wrong here.  I am sure we will be able to pick up some knowledge but without knowing that this or that ending is making it a future aorist whatever.  Now we will be given the fact that the word is "imperative verb" but will not be told how it is known to be imperative.  

Maybe, I am all wrong but that is what it seems like  to me.  

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:18 AM

As this is a DVD video, I doubt that it can be neatly separated out into Greek and Hebrew parts none of which have any dependencies on each other. Even if they were able to separate it out into a Hebrew DVD and a Greek DVD and sold them as separate products at some point in the future, one would guess they would cost $250 each (given that the predicted Logos Sale Price is going to be about $500 for Hebrew & Greek together). So the pre-pub price right now of $159.95 for BOTH of them is still a better deal than waiting until some hypothetical time in the future when they might separate these out into two products. Then again, if you really want to learn Hebrew, you might be better off teaching it to yourself with one of the various learning Hebrew resources, such as:

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:42 AM

It's all Greek to me. Stick out tongue

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 3:53 AM

Rosie Perera:
Thanks, Bill and Rosie, for your suggestions!  Actually I'm going the other way round, wanting to start Greek but never got around to it.  Things got in the way and it would be another year or two before I could get around to learning it, so I was thinking if this DVD might be a good way to preview the language.  But at $159.95 I'm not too sure - especially when I don't need half of it and I do not know exactly what the other half is offering...  Sad

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 4:43 AM

Amy Leung:
But at $159.95 I'm not too sure - especially when I don't need half of it and I do not know exactly what the other half is offering...  

It seems to me that if you are wanting half of it....you ought to go for it.   yes 1/2 is not as useful but as Rosie said....waiting allows it to increase 350 dollars (big chunk of  change).

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:37 AM

From the demo, it seemed that the intent is not to teach you the languages as much as it is to famialiarize and use the language tools within Logos. Like Rosie said, if you are looking to learn the language, there are other resources that are geared toward that end. In my case, I know a thimbleful of Hebrew, so I guess "It's all Hebrew to me!"

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:48 AM

I suspect this product is especially helpful for persons who really let their Hebrew and Greek slide and who know they must get back into it (I refuse to name names!). At least, that's what someone whom I know very, very intimately is hoping. Big Smile

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 4:51 AM

Amy Leung:
I wonder if it is possible for Logos to offer the "Learn to use Greek and Hebrew" DVD

Amy

Please note that the name of this resource has been changed to 

Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software

This was due to multiple protests concerning the original publicity. This is not a language course. It is instruction on using the language tools in L4.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:13 AM

Jack Caviness:

Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software

This was due to multiple protests concerning the original publicity. This is not a language course. It is instruction on using the language tools in L4.

Bingo! Jack has the clarity on this!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS