Oxford Latin Dictionary

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Francis Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:34 PM

I preordered this four years ago (!) and have recently been trying to find out when it will be  available or indeed if the project is still going ahead. In reply I received  a number computer generated e-mails saying that they were too busy with Logos 4 to reply and when I last wrote to say this was not an adequate response all I have received  is an even more generalised response which suggests - wrongly - an answer may be found on this forum.

I have searched and only found that others share my frustration at the lack of information. I  am a classicist and so I regard with bemusement the constant notifications I receive that a 100 volumes of this worthy divine and 100 volumes of that commentary series arenow available  - but no Latin Dictionary.

What prevents Logos from giving some indication of when the dictionary  will be available ? I post this in the forlorn hope that someone in authority  in Logos may read it and feel  belatedly some responsibility  and common courtesy towards their customers.

Francis Browne

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:08 AM

Yes, I hope like to see that soon too!  And that would prove helpful with our studies of a certain recently released 100+ volume worthy divine series, which contains the Latin Institutes of Christian Religion as well as commentaries which contain a certain Latin translation of the bible.  Wink

Posts 19197
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:43 AM

I'm waiting on that one, too. In the meantime there is the Collins Latin Dictionary and Grammar. Much less beefy, but it might make Logos think they don't have to have a better Latin dictionary as such a high priority. Maybe if you add it to the new customer voice website, the more people express interest by voting for it, the higher it will go up in priority: http://logos.uservoice.com/

It is most likely still in the works, or they would have removed it from our pre-pub baskets. Likely the reason for the delay is a numbers game. Logos ships sooner those products for which they think there will be a larger market. That's about what it boils down to. There are a ton of books in the pre-pub catalogue that are already in "Under Development" status, and they've been shipping them at a rate of about one every couple of weeks. There's a lot of work to be done to get each one from the "we have enough interest to do this" stage to the "we're ready to ship it now" stage.

Do you recall how long ago the Oxford Latin Dictionary reached the full 100% participation it needed to go ahead with production? Even though you ordered it 4 years ago, it might not have been sitting in the "Under Development" queue for as long as some of the other products they're working to bring out. They might not actually know what the ship date is yet. They don't generally release an expected ship date until it's pretty soon, like within a month or two, and that date will show up in your pre-pub basket in the "Ancitipated Ship Date" colulmn.

Yes, the automated emails lately have been annoying. They've explained that it's because they are way bogged down with an unexpectedly large number of customer communications since 4.0 shipped, and they are hoping to get back to normal turnaround soon. That doesn't really help you, but it explains sort of why they've been sending people to the Forum as a first line of defense. I finally did get a personal answer to an emaill I sent after about 9 days, if that's any consolation. Apparently calls to Sales are getting through faster than calls to Customer Service, and both are best to try early in the morning when they first open. That might get you an answer sooner than email. But the answer might still be a disappointing "we don't know yet."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS