Building A New PC

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
ChappyEight | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 13 2016 9:37 AM

Getting ready to build a new PC and want to ensure it's plenty powerful for Logos.  As it is now, if I have more than a few resources open, it's very sluggish.  I've seen the Logos recommended specs but I'm curious what optimal specs might be.

For instance, is Logos more CPU heavy or more RAM heavy?  Does it run a lot of load on the HDD?  Stuff like that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Landon

Posts 26126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 9:47 AM

First, welcome! Smile

The single most important spec is to have a fast, and large (enough) SSD. If you don't plan to use the computer for much more than Logos, 256GB would be sufficient... else look larger. I would also recommend 8GB Ram. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 6
ChappyEight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 9:50 AM

Great!  Thank you for the quick reply.  Since I'm building the PC myself, this information is most useful.  On that advice, I'll likely just purchase a large SSD solely dedicated to Logos.  Since the min. req. spec is 30GB, I'm guessing a 250GB drive would be plenty of room with some to grow? (I currently have just over 5,200 resources)

Again, thank you.

Posts 26126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 10:45 AM

ChappyEight:
Since the min. req. spec is 30GB, I'm guessing a 250GB drive would be plenty of room with some to grow?

My installation is ~36GB. You also need a large space used temporarily during indexing. The question you need to ask and answer is, "What else will I use the drive for?" If you are thinking of having multiple drives, my recommendation would be to put Logos & the operating system on the SSD, while shifting music, videos, photos, etc. to a cheaper HDD. I would not put the Operating System on the HDD. 

I did not mean to imply that you needed a 250 GB solely for Logos. For most people, that would be overkill. Most people, however, think they can cram their hard drives like this: 

Not a good idea. Traditional hard drives need more free space to work optimally than do SSD's... but they need space too. 

Posts 6
ChappyEight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 11:11 AM

Appreciate the clarification.  I think we're on the same page.  

For reference, my current PC I built 8 years ago, so I tend to overbuy up front and hang on for dear life until it just can't go anymore.  For instance, I'm running Windows ME Big Smile

I also run Photoshop and Adobe Audition often so I'll likely have one drive dedicated solely as a scratch drive for those.  I wonder, does Logos make use of a user-specified scratch disk? I'm guessing it just uses the disk upon which it's installed.

So, I'll likely have a smaller SSD with operating system only, an SSD solely for Logos, an HDD for multimedia storage, an HDD for all other programs, and a SSD/HDD for a common scratch disk among programs.  Maybe overkill, but I'd rather overbuild and grow into it than build for now and run out of options.

Posts 26126
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 11:42 AM

ChappyEight:
I wonder, does Logos make use of a user-specified scratch disk? I'm guessing it just uses the disk upon which it's installed.

Not on Mac, but I believe you can do custom installations on windows. 

Posts 1879
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 2:09 PM

I agree completely that you should have your programs installed on the 256 SSD.  I also do video editing, so I have my SSD for all of my programs, and then I have (2) 1TB HDs mirrored for a scratch drive, as well as (2) 1TB HDs mirrored for a render drive.  That keeps videos and such off of my SSD, and it also gives me redundancy for all files in case one of the mechanical drives dies.  1TB mechanical drives are pretty inexpensive these days.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 2:55 PM

ChappyEight:
For instance, is Logos more CPU heavy or more RAM heavy?  Does it run a lot of load on the HDD?  Stuff like that.

Logos hardware requirements are similar to newish games, whose performance correlates with faster CPU, Graphics, Storage, and RAM.

For CPU, suggest newer Intel i-5 or i-7; processor benchmarks => http://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks

For graphics, the Nvidia GeForce 750ti has decent graphics performance with minimal power usage.

For storage, like SATA III Solid State Disk or PCIe Flash Storage with write speed faster than 500 MB.sec.

Amount of RAM depends on number of programs to be used simultaneously; personally have 16 GB that is not enough at times.

Tom's Hardware Guide has Build Your Own articles => http://www.tomshardware.com/t/build-your-own/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2016 11:22 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
For graphics, the Nvidia GeForce 750ti has decent graphics performance with minimal power usage.

High end Graphics benchmark list => http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Graphics Price / Performance => http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

#4 GeForce GTX 750 Ti ($ 94.99) benchmark is 3,682 that is # 83 on high end list

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2016 12:10 AM

Thinkpad P70 will be handle this.

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2016 4:58 AM

ChappyEight:
So, I'll likely have a smaller SSD with operating system only, an SSD solely for Logos, an HDD for multimedia storage, an HDD for all other programs, and a SSD/HDD for a common scratch disk among programs.

Doable with custom installation of Logos, wiki has => Install in different folder or drive

For storage, Drobo may be something to consider => http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 802
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2016 8:45 AM

I found the switch to an SSD very helpful... Much more so than CPU and RAM improvements. My SSD is a SATA one. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with M2 or pcie SSDs for comparison. Is it substantially better than an SSD in real world Logos use?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 6
ChappyEight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2016 12:47 PM

That's a great question. I'd think, at least for now, SSD's would be fine.

Posts 6
ChappyEight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:42 PM

Finished the build and put Logos on its own dedicated M.2 drive (Samsung 950 Pro)... holy smokes this thing flies.  I have 5300+ resources and it indexes in roughly 30-45 seconds.

Thanks for all the advice. This was excellent.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS