Small UI Tweak Suggestion

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 67
LO | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:11 PM

I like the improvement in A14 regarding the layout of the tabs--namely, it is now much easier to see which tab is selected, etc. However, the placement of the "x" used to close the tab/window is still confusing and idiosyncratic compared to other tab-based windows. Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, for example, all place the "x" directly on the tab, thus making it very clear which tab is closing when you press the "x" (or press cmd+w). If L4Mac is going to use a similar tab-based display, it would seem more natural to follow the standard tab layout and to place the "x" right on the tab rather than to place one "x" to the far right of all the tabs.

Posts 23
Christian Sofussen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:21 PM

Or at least place the X to the left.

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:39 PM

50% of our users are on 1024 pixel-wide screens; most use a screen split in half for side-by-side books. (This is unlike web browsers, which have tabs but typically are full-screen width.) Our concern was all the real-estate the little "x"'s would use on each tab. (And, if I'm recalling correctly, when we designed this, Firefox had a single x on the right by default, and just an option to put it on the tabs...but my memory may be bad...)

We're looking at adding this an option, though, in a future release. I've got a wide monitor, and I'm used to the 'x" on each tab, too, in my web browsing.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:17 PM

I posted this before in another thread but what about something like this. The tabs are flipped to the right with the x button on the left. This will at least allow for the UI to match the normal close position (left) on the Mac.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:57 AM

LO:

Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, for example, all place the "x" directly on the tab, thus making it very clear which tab is closing when you press the "x" (or press cmd+w). If L4Mac is going to use a similar tab-based display, it would seem more natural to follow the standard tab layout and to place the "x" right on the tab rather than to place one "x" to the far right of all the tabs.

My Safari browser has an x on the left which only appears when you hover over the tab. At other times it is invisible. That keeps the tab uncluttered, especially if you have a few open. That's what I would like to see in L4Mac

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 5166
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:48 AM

and so would the Scots from the South West 

(well incomers really) but Hay Ho

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5166
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:51 AM

In fact can it be a white cross on a blue backgroundWink

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:47 PM

I believe the handling of the tabs could be improved overall. The 'X' for closing isn't in the most logical place, but the bigger problem is the way that the tabs change their size in an unpredictable way. Sometimes there's just an icon with a book cover, sometimes theres the product code and sometimes there's a fuller title. Where tabs have been implemented in Safari, there is a standard width of tab and then a drop-down menu for any overspill tabs:

Why reinvent the wheel?

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 3:16 AM

Stephen Ashton:
Where tabs have been implemented in Safari, there is a standard width of tab and then a drop-down menu for any overspill tabs

Technically, those tabs are not standard width as the width varies with the number of tabs. However, they are of uniform width. That being said, I prefer that the active tab be wide enough to read the title.

Remember, Safari has the luxury of placing tabs across the full width of its window. In Logos tab width is restricted by the width of the panel in which it appears which in turn depends upon the number of panels open.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS