Just found this out by mistake/chance

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:05 PM

I was reading through an article and motioned my mouse to close it. Right button held down and move to make a capital "L"

What I inadvertently did was, I held the right button down and moved in a > shape and the "start reading aloud" function kicked in.

Still finding out things about L6/LN. Such fun Smile

mm.

mm.

Posts 8011
LogosEmployee

These are called “Gestures”: https://ref.ly/logosres/logos4help;hw=Gestures 

They’re disabled by default in Logos 6 and may be removed in a future release.

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 10:54 PM

@ Bradley 

Why would Logos remove the Gestures? Can you not keep Gestures but just give the User the option to disable them if they don't to use them?

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 4:42 AM

Although I use the gestures seldom, I too am not sure why you would remove them. As a business owner one of the cardinal sins is to remove products from our product line. Even though ppl may not purchase them on a regular basis, we think it's smart management to keep all products once we have introduced them in to the market.

Over time we have found that once we delist a product it becomes somewhat of a slippery slope and potential sales and satisfaction tends to decrease. However, we have introduced new products that we have designed to be on a limited purchase list, but we have made our customers aware that these are "for a limited time" only.

Is there any benefit to removing gestures for your customers? If not, I suggest keep them and not risk the potential of a negative market move.

IMHO

mm.

Lee:

@ Bradley 

Why would Logos remove the Gestures? Can you not keep Gestures but just give the User the option to disable them if they don't to use them?

mm.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 6:34 AM

Wink

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

buzzkill. Wink

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 7:16 AM

Milkman:
Is there any benefit to removing gestures for your customers? If not, I suggest keep them and not risk the potential of a negative market move.

The benefit is for people who used to trigger them accidentally, (as this thread demonstrates)! See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/108517/743012.aspx#743012 

Posts 1703
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 7:16 AM

I wouldn't miss them. I'm one of the stodgy old you-know-whats who miss:

File  Edit  View  Tools  Window

I also miss the universal use of "Alt+" hot-keys for dialog buttons, for when I can't find the little rascals.

But, alas, the influence of disorderly and random phone/tablet user interfaces, the abandonment of standards, along with the seemingly endless, random interface updates (see Chrome) are, I am sad to conclude, here to stay.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 7:33 AM

Please do not remove the gestures but give an option to turn on or off.  I use the full screen and dock gesture all the time.   

Posts 155
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 9:28 AM

John Brumett:

Please do not remove the gestures but give an option to turn on or off.  I use the full screen and dock gesture all the time.   

I echo this request.  Have been using a few other gestures as well.  Why is FL depriving us? Crying Angry

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 11:27 AM

John Brumett:
Please do not remove the gestures but give an option to turn on or off.

Ditto.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 7:59 AM

Ok fair enough. But just because someone doesn't use it properly shouldn't mean that the gestures will be deleted. So if I don't know how to keep a proper score on a golf card does that necessitate doing away with score cards? No, it means I need to know how to "properly" keep score.

Mark Barnes:

Milkman:

The benefit is for people who used to trigger them accidentally, (as this thread demonstrates)! See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/108517/743012.aspx#743012 

mm.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 8:40 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Bradley please don't remove the gestures. I use the reading view / escape reading view gestures all the time.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 9:19 AM

Milkman:
Ok fair enough. But just because someone doesn't use it properly shouldn't mean that the gestures will be deleted. So if I don't know how to keep a proper score on a golf card does that necessitate doing away with score cards? No, it means I need to know how to "properly" keep score.

They won't plan to remove them, I'm sure. But if they make changes to Logos that break gestures, or if Microsoft/Apple make changes that break gestures, or if having gestures stops Faithlife developing a new killer feature, then it sounds like they have already decided that not enough people use gestures to make it worth them spending lots of money to maintain them. In that scenario, they'd probably remove the feature.

At the moment, there's no problem. I'm sure they'd only be removed under circumstances similar to those I've outlined, which may never happen.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 10:30 AM

I can probably forget Milkman's early morning delivery of fresh milk to my house. But this is one area I hope Bradley's comment is more than low-use based.

In my nefarious imagination (and based on all my son's friends dumping their PCs ... a sure sign of the End):

- Anything hardware specific (tied to hardware drivers) should be dumped, Also, anything inherently conflicting with touch standards. To allow ease of cross-hardware support favoring future mobile.  IE non-standard mouse gestures must commit hari-kari.

- The current mindless pursuit of Logos descriptive datasets that few know what to do with, or how to use, favors server based intelligent information delivery in the future. Faithlife steps into a world A and B companies can only dream of. At low cost of development/support.

- Desktop survives, but like Atlas, the good stuff is server-based .... and subscription only. Mobile becomes primary.  Then, the End.

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 10:48 AM

Yes Denise - always fresh :)

Although I don't understand your post. Are you for getting rid of gestures or not? Just a question. You speak wayyyyyyy over the milkman's head Embarrassed Remember I only have two degrees and have pastored for about 15 years so just a slow learner.

mm.

Denise:

I can probably forget Milkman's early morning delivery of fresh milk to my house. But this is one area I hope Bradley's comment is more than low-use based.

In my nefarious imagination (and based on all my son's friends dumping their PCs ... a sure sign of the End):

- Anything hardware specific (tied to hardware drivers) should be dumped, Also, anything inherently conflicting with touch standards. To allow ease of cross-hardware support favoring future mobile.  IE non-standard mouse gestures must commit hari-kari.

- The current mindless pursuit of Logos descriptive datasets that few know what to do with, or how to use, favors server based intelligent information delivery in the future. Faithlife steps into a world A and B companies can only dream of. At low cost of development/support.

- Desktop survives, but like Atlas, the good stuff is server-based .... and subscription only. Mobile becomes primary.  Then, the End.

mm.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 11:34 AM

MM, I think your resume outshines my scrap of paper. You don't fool me ... though early AM delivery suggests a screw loose.

I don't know how they coded, so I can't be for/against. But I suspect several older L4 features are difficult to transport to multiple platforms ... the full-screen reader, gestures, and the scroll bars (raccoon tracks).

Philosophically, the more complicated a product moves, the less willing customers are, to dig in .... even if the features can be ignored. Bob says pastors are his market, but pastors are typically people persons ... not nerds. So, the current product is nearing its end-cycle.

Ergo, a need to move towards sophisticated simplicity. Which also speaks to MJ's teachers, and mobile users in a Proclaim world (church).

Did I confuse, yet again?

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 2:22 PM

just a few screws loose? Maybe more ;)

Nope, totally cool with your re-explain. Got it. Or Got milk?

Denise:

MM, I think your resume outshines my scrap of paper. You don't fool me ... though early AM delivery suggests a screw loose.

I don't know how they coded, so I can't be for/against. But I suspect several older L4 features are difficult to transport to multiple platforms ... the full-screen reader, gestures, and the scroll bars (raccoon tracks).

Philosophically, the more complicated a product moves, the less willing customers are, to dig in .... even if the features can be ignored. Bob says pastors are his market, but pastors are typically people persons ... not nerds. So, the current product is nearing its end-cycle.

Ergo, a need to move towards sophisticated simplicity. Which also speaks to MJ's teachers, and mobile users in a Proclaim world (church).

Did I confuse, yet again?

mm.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS