latest logos update crashed my logos...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Derek R. Iannelli | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:43 AM

Here we go again, the second time since 4, another crash, not starting correctly, and the culprit... latest logos update, in the last couple of weeks....  Please send me a disk every time you do this so I can uninstall, and reinstall it immediately so as to fix the issues rather than get excited about using my software and have it crash when I need it... this is highly frustrating...

Posts 27058
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 4:02 AM

Derek

A re-install is not needed. But you will have to rebuild your index by deleting your LibraryIndex folder (you need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders) and restarting L4. See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12734.aspx

Just check that you have enough free space on the hard drive (at least 6 GB).

To manage your updates better I suggest you set Automatically Download Updates to No in Program Settings. It will notify you about an update but you can refuse it!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:14 AM

Dave Hooton:

To manage your updates better I suggest you set Automatically Download Updates to No in Program Settings. It will notify you about an update but you can refuse it!

I'm not playing the devil's advocate here, Dave, but seriously, how would I know or someone like Derek know just which update to refuse? 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:37 AM

Joan Korte:
I'm not playing the devil's advocate here, Dave, but seriously, how would I know or someone like Derek know just which update to refuse? 

As I understand it, the current batch of problems is cause by a bug in the indexer of 4.0a which corrupts indexes when merging occurs. This then requires deleting the index files and letting Logos rebuild them.

When a supplemental index reaches a certain size the indexer will automatically attempt to merge indexes. The recent releases (updated Galaxie journals, Calvin 500, etc) has triggered merges for many people resulting in most of the crashes that have been reported on the forums recently.

The best strategy to avoid index corruption is to refuse updates until 4.0b is released to avoid an automatic merging of indexes. Then you could accept the update after confirming what it was on the forums or manually download the installer to update.

Posts 1146
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:58 AM

Kevin Becker:

Joan Korte:

As I understand it, the current batch of problems is cause by a bug in the indexer of 4.0a which corrupts indexes when merging occurs. This then requires deleting the index files and letting Logos rebuild them.

When a supplemental index reaches a certain size the indexer will automatically attempt to merge indexes. The recent releases (updated Galaxie journals, Calvin 500, etc) has triggered merges for many people resulting in most of the crashes that have been reported on the forums recently.

The best strategy to avoid index corruption is to refuse updates until 4.0b is released to avoid an automatic merging of indexes. Then you could accept the update after confirming what it was on the forums or manually download the installer to update.

So what you're saying is that the current release version of L4 is defective and will continue crashing every time it merges indexes and we should refuse to add any new resources that we have bought?!?! That's not much of a solution. I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding my index and it's not exactly something I want to do that often. If Logos releases L4.0b soon and the problem is fixed that would be nice. Hint, hint.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:25 AM

From what I understand...4.0b should be here today Big Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:28 AM

TomReynolds:
So what you're saying is that the current release version of L4 is defective and will continue crashing every time it merges indexes and we should refuse to add any new resources that we have bought?!?! That's not much of a solution. I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding my index and it's not exactly something I want to do that often. If Logos releases L4.0b soon and the problem is fixed that would be nice. Hint, hint.

I'm not saying that anyone should refuse recent purchases. I'm just saying that without knowing what the thresh-hold is that will trigger a merge one has to consider the possibility that any new or updated resources could trigger the bug. But on the other hand the fix is easy but time consuming.

With that said, unless you currently have a supplemental index, adding a couple of books is unlikely to trigger a merge. I too would like Logos to get 4.0b out the door as fast as possible to fix the indexer (I'm feeling like a broken record advising people to delete their index files Tongue Tied) but on the other hand I want them to take the necessary time to make certain that as many bugs are fixed as possible.

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:46 AM

Kevin Becker:

I too would like Logos to get 4.0b out the door as fast as possible to fix the indexer (I'm feeling like a broken record advising people to delete their index files Tongue Tied) but on the other hand I want them to take the necessary time to make certain that as many bugs are fixed as possible.

Yes, to wait until 4.0b is ready, agreed.  What I don't understand, Kevin is why the command "rebuild index" wasn't the real fix (deleting the index files seemed to be.) ?

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:48 AM

Joan Korte:
What I don't understand, Kevin is why the command "rebuild index" wasn't the real fix (deleting the index files seemed to be.) ?

At one point in 4.0a "rebuild index" didn't. It only "merged" them which then resulted in crashes.?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:18 AM

Joan Korte:
Yes, to wait until 4.0b is ready, agreed.  What I don't understand, Kevin is why the command "rebuild index" wasn't the real fix (deleting the index files seemed to be.) ?

Sometimes a the corrupted index keeps people from launching Logos 4 so you can't get to the command bar to use the command "rebuild index". In other cases the attempt to index via "rebuild index" crashes and then deleting the index files works (I don't know why this is, but it's something I've observed.)

Posts 5
Derek R. Iannelli | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:12 PM

this worked... it is rebuilding now...

Posts 27058
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:53 PM

Joan Korte:

Dave Hooton:

I was directly answering Derek's statement 

Please send me a disk every time you do this so I can uninstall, and reinstall it immediately so as to fix the issues rather than get excited about using my software and have it crash when I need it... this is highly frustrating...

ie. the download could be deferred until he was ready for the crashSmile

Kevin has answered to the general scenario but one can  minimise the potential number of crashes and rebuilds by combining downloads that you expect to receive over a period of time (whether days or weeks). And I've already stated that Logos should defer updates until after 4.0b is released.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS